WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Proposed Interstate I-3 Threatens AT

I just read in the spring edition of the Wilderness Society member's newsletter, America's Wilderness, that a new interstate, known as I-3, would be built from Savannah, GA to Oak Ridge, TN.

It is currently being studied by the Federal Highway Administration. The newsletter says that the route would cut through the heart of the Chattahoochee National Forest, passing close to Blood Mtn, Mark Trail, Tray Mtn, and Raven Cliffs and, in western NC, it would go through the Nantahala-Pisgoh National Forest and skirt the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock and the Southern Nantahala wilderness areas.

YIKES! Let's get this stopped! See www.stopI3.org!

That is not really new news. It was proposed years ago. I believe the latest is that the whole project has been killed off as being too expensive.

I doubt we will see this monstrosity constructed while we are spending billions each month in Iraq.

It comes up every now and again.

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug View Post
    I doubt we will see this monstrosity constructed while we are spending billions each month in Iraq.
    Actually, since this Administration believes money grows on trees, I'd suggest we need to study the politics of the decision rather than the funny-money finances of the matter.

Since road builders generally scratch the back of this "big business" Administration, the Administration may well scratch their backs to ensure support when it has little elsewhere.

Just a dose of political reality on how road building decision too often are made.

Hopefully, Congress will kill this back-scratching boondoggle.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Default Prolly this should be in politics

But my cynical self suspects this is floated around election time for our Northern Georgia legislators to show how responsible they are for not building this road to nowhere.

Images

But my cynical self suspects this is floated around election time for our Northern Georgia legislators to show how responsible they are for not building this road to nowhere.
    The Cynthia McKinney Road to Nowhere. I bet that gets slapped down.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Just wait till they add a water pipeline to the project and see what happens to it...

Groan. That water line would come from NW GA and avoid that area, but would still destroy much interesting terrain and history. I know that NYC is able to move water under the Hudson from NJ, but I don't think that Atlanta can pull off anything similar.

Now if they could get water from Lake Burton (off of Standing Indian) and away from the Savannah River drainage....

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Groan. That water line would come from NW GA and avoid that area, but would still destroy much interesting terrain and history. I know that NYC is able to move water under the Hudson from NJ, but I don't think that Atlanta can pull off anything similar.

Now if they could get water from Lake Burton (off of Standing Indian) and away from the Savannah River drainage....

UGH!!!....I live in a state where nobody wants to spend money on infrastructure, but they're building new homes and tearing down trees left and right. Instead of building dams and reservoirs for the coming problems some saw 15 years ago, our intrepid leader, "Sonny", decides to "pray" for rain. Then again what else can I expect, up until about 4 years ago there were still stickers in the school district I teach in claiming that evolution was only a THEORY!!!

Don't worry nothings gonna happen down here because our leadership are a bunch of idgets!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Lake Burton is owned by the Southern Company so it would be their call. Those of us in Georgia that know that every big company CEO, politician, football coach, etc have homes on the lake ( some worth 5-10 million dollars), also knows no one is going to screw with their lake. Ever notice when they give the lake levels in Georgia, Lake Burton never goes down? I doubt we'll ever see that lake being used as a water supply.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    Lake Burton is owned by the Southern Company so it would be their call. Those of us in Georgia that know that every big company CEO, politician, football coach, etc have homes on the lake ( some worth 5-10 million dollars), also knows no one is going to screw with their lake. Ever notice when they give the lake levels in Georgia, Lake Burton never goes down? I doubt we'll ever see that lake being used as a water supply.
    Besides, Burton is a drop in the bucket for Atlanta. Draining the Georgia Aquarium would do about as much good. OK maybe that's an exaggeration.

And Burton, Seed, and Rabun are power generators IIRC.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

I belong to a stop I-3 coalilition. The latest news we have received is this is still in the studying stages, and figureing out the route.
    This proposed highway would connect from Savannah ,Ga. to Knoxville, Tenn. The government people say it is neeed to bring goods from the port in Savannah to the midwest. The coalilition has learned that the highway's main use will be to transport nuclear material from the Savannah River nuciear site to Oakridge Tenn (outside of Knoxville) . It has not gone away. It's just a matter of time before it comes up in the news again.
    Moses

Build it. Then, in 15 or 20 years, when oil is so expensive that only the super rich will have cars, I-3 will make a HELLA bike route!

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    UGH!!!....I live in a state where nobody wants to spend money on infrastructure, but they're building new homes and tearing down trees left and right. Instead of building dams and reservoirs for the coming problems some saw 15 years ago, our intrepid leader, "Sonny", decides to "pray" for rain. Then again what else can I expect, up until about 4 years ago there were still stickers in the school district I teach in claiming that evolution was only a THEORY!!!

Don't worry nothings gonna happen down here because our leadership are a bunch of idgets!
    Evolution is a theory, and not a very convincing one I might add.

As for interstates, I-16 from Macon Ga to Savannah rivals some out west for lack of traffic/use. What do they need another interstate for?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    This proposed highway would connect from Savannah ,Ga. to Knoxville, Tenn.
    That's crazy, it's probably shorter to take the existing route according to Mapquest.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Savannah+GA/Knoxville+TN/?

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Yeah, just like gravity. Just a theory.
    ... the danger for Tennesseeans isn't so much that they may be descended from apes as overtaken by them.

-- Bill Bryson

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If it was trying to go between the Bald River Wilderness and Citco Creek/Slickrock Wildernesses, it was a too risky project anyway. Too much of water sources in that area would have been devastated, would have impacted the wildernesses.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    That's crazy, it's probably shorter to take the existing route according to Mapquest.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/Savannah+GA/Knoxville+TN/?
    It is crazy!!! That's why we have a stop I-3 coalilition. The exsisting route goes through populated areas. If you are transporting radioactive material, you would want to avoid these areas of population in case of an accident. The SALT treaties have expired and our country is back in the bomb building business again!
    Moses

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Actually, since this Administration believes money grows on trees
    Yes, and those trees come from China.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    ...want to say something so bad...can't hold back...Gah!

Not going to start a religion debate today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++