WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Lightweight boot recommendation

Speaking of boots....

I'm currently wearing a pair of Vasque hiking boots. Nice boots, but on the heavy side.

I'm looking for a lightweight hiking boot with exceptionally good ankle support, preferably water proof.

Any recommendations? Due to some issues with my right foot it is a requirement that I have very good ankle support - so trail runners are out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Speaking of boots....

I'm currently wearing a pair of Vasque hiking boots. Nice boots, but on the heavy side.

I'm looking for a lightweight hiking boot with exceptionally good ankle support, preferably water proof.

Any recommendations? Due to some issues with my right foot it is a requirement that I have very good ankle support - so trail runners are out.
    I wear Hi Tec Altitude IV. It's a fabulous lightweight, waterproof all-leather boot that supports my (very weak) ankles extremely well. They've saved me probably 1000's of twisted ankles. I'm on my 4th pair and wouldn't buy anything else. And they're always well under $100/pair. Every time I buy them the clerk tells me that they are the best selling boots in the US. I can tell you I've walked ankle deep through streams and never had so much as a drop of water get inside.

http://www.hi-tecsports.com/category.php?styleId=1756
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Montrail Torre GTX. It comes in regular and wide. Columbia bought Montrail in 2006. My pair of Torre GTXs predate that. I don't know what the merger will do to the brand quality.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Images

Would like to help but I gave up high-top boots several pair ago. I like the trail runners a lot. But I do understand that if you need the support, then you need it. I had several pair of Vasque boots and always liked them a lot. I'd research their lightest weight over-the-ankle boot and then make sure they fit and feel right. The best boots are the ones that feel great on YOUR FEET!

I would suggest thinking outside the box on your waterproof requirement. Waterproofing holds the water in as well as out. I've never been able to keep my feet dry in a real soaker, so I prefer boots that drain, so that your feet don't soak in water-filled waterproof boots. You can either go with gortex or sealskinz socks to keep your feet dry. Waterproof socks, if tight around the leg, work much better than waterproof boots. You can knock $50 off the price of the boots dropping the gortex requirement, but if you get the gortex socks, they'll run about $35-40.

About 6 months ago I got a pair of Wolverine's from Cabala's on sale for $80.00. They have gor-tex uppers. Although I have done no hiking I have worn them just about every day and they are very good, needed no break-in and for fat guys like me they come in extra wide sizes as well. Mine are 13EEEE. Great price, very satisfied.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I have the 390's and like them for winter conditions. I'm a firm believer in non GoreTex for wet or rainy conditions since waterproof boots can take days to dry out once they're wet... and it will happen. Having said that, the Inov8's are excellent if you're looking for a very lightweight boot. I also have several sets of Inov8 shoes and have worn the Terroc 330's and RocLite 315's on a couple of thru hikes. Inov8 shoes (and boots) take a little getting used to if you've never worn them. The soles are very flexable and quite thin, so the feel for the trail is great, but not at all the usual boot feel.

Images

think those come with a money back guarentee. They guarntee you aint gittn no money back.

I have some montrail comps that I liked ok till I got the garmont flash. They are on sale now at campmor for 69 bucks, I paid a lot more than that at the local store.

I used to wear vasque sundowners but had to quit wearing them to nurse a foot issue. I've gotten used to low cut boots and now the higher cut ones press on my ankles. The garmonts are supposably shaped to contour your ankle better and the tongue wraps around so it doesn't slip. I really like those features. Also the sole is more cushiony than my other boots, yet very stable.

You can read the propaganda on the garmont site yourself. I've read some reviews that critisize the durability but they are so comfortable to me that I don't care.

Oh, they have a goretex lining as well. I personally like that, I keep my boots sprayed to maintain the dwr.

Mrs Baggins,

I also use the Hi-Tec Altitude IV, I just used mine last week for a snowshoe day hike ( sno-sealed the leather) but I have used hi-tec for over 15 yrs now. Not much of a break-in period, a few hrs and their good to go!

Mike

Images

could you get away with just wearing a neoprine brace on your ankle and just get trail runners?

soooo much lighter and comfortable to walk in

++ New Posts ++