WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Have fun this weekend Kevin. If you stop by the forest office you can get a larger copy of the map that is somewhat glossy, and should hold up better than the one you can print off of your computer. Don't forget to get water at campsite D. I somehow missed it and was pretty parched by the time I strolled into campsite H about six miles later. Hopefully you'll get some good weather, I got pretty soggy but I didn't mind. Actually I'm kind of glad since I got to see how my gear held up in less than perfect conditions. Anyway, have a good time.

P.S. Almost forgot, when you get to ....... ah nevermind you'll see.

Ah thanks for the pointer on the map copy. The PDFs online are decent, but not too bad. I also couldn't find the interval on the topo online? How many feet between lines? 10?

The temperatures and precipitation look like they'll be ok but there has been a crap ton of rain in the area the past few weeks, and more notably today and yesterday. I have a feeling it's going to be a mud pit. Oh well! That's why we all go hikin' right?!

Damnit, don't leave me hanging. When I get to what?!?!

Welp off I go. I guess I'll have to discover this secret on my own. Be back tomorrow evening hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    Have fun this weekend Kevin. If you stop by the forest office you can get a larger copy of the map that is somewhat glossy, and should hold up better than the one you can print off of your computer. Don't forget to get water at campsite D. I somehow missed it and was pretty parched by the time I strolled into campsite H about six miles later. Hopefully you'll get some good weather, I got pretty soggy but I didn't mind. Actually I'm kind of glad since I got to see how my gear held up in less than perfect conditions. Anyway, have a good time.

P.S. Almost forgot, when you get to ....... ah nevermind you'll see.
    I hope it wasn't "when you get to P", because yes that was quite confusing...

Images

Yeah I was refering to the 25 or so unneccesary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing. It was kind of fun though and a good learning experience, I was pretty soaked by then anyway. As I went through that part I started laughing because I envisioned two guys marking the trail while drinking a bottle of whiskey, putting each blaze in a more arbitrary spot, all the while chuckling at the joke they were playing future hikers. Everything went well I'm assuming?

Yeah I was refering to the 25 or so unneccesary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing. It was kind of fun though and a good learning experience, I was pretty soaked by then anyway. As I went through that part I started laughing because I envisioned two guys marking the trail while drinking a bottle of whiskey, putting each blaze in a more arbitrary spot, all the while chuckling at the joke they were playing future hikers. Everything went well I'm assuming?
    Ah I think I missed that part. My two buddies did the full 23.5. I ended up doing about 18.5. After camping at the northeast camp, I went west until I hit 279 and walked the road back to the parking lot (missed all the streams you were talking about). My two friends definitely mentioned them tho. I'm going to post another thread with some pictures of the trail + review.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Yeah I was referring to the 25 or so unnecessary stream crossings that ended in about 100yds of mud with almost no blazing.
    I recall the odd blazing in that location (isn't that just before you reach the street?). In the summer/fall there is almost no water along that valley, as I don't recall any water or mud, but I do remember jumping/walking across dry stream beds often.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Here's a link to my trip report/review: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=588353.

Yeah tlbj...the blazing after you reach P (edge of a side street) is not clear at all. You're supposed to go east to 278, south on 278 for a quarter mile, and you're there. One of my friends went left at 278 for a half mile, realized he was wrong (had the map, knew P -> finish was 0.3 miles), and turned back. My other friend without a map went left on 278 and right on a gravel road (which I believe leads to the campsite a few miles up) which also had orange blazes (so he says, I didn't go that way so I can't confirm). He went about 2 miles in the wrong direction (needless to say, he wasn't real thrilled about that).

Even after you hit 278 after going west from M/N, it's not real clear where to go. You're supposed to go a few hundred feet south on 278 then pick up the trail to the west...but there weren't any clear indicators of this.

Images

I recall the odd blazing in that location (isn't that just before you reach the street?). In the summer/fall there is almost no water along that valley, as I don't recall any water or mud, but I do remember jumping/walking across dry stream beds often.
    Yeah, it's just before the road, which made it a little easier to figure out where to go. By the time I got there it had rained on and off for about two days so there was plenty of water.

Ckeck with the buckeye trail people they may be able to supply names of people willing to let you camp on their land

Hey if you get the chance do the canopy tours! Its well worth it

http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GADGETEER View Post
    Hey if you get the chance do the canopy tours! Its well worth it

http://www.hockinghillscanopytours.com/
    I'm going to take my daughter sometime within the next few weeks. Looks like fun.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Default Grandma Gatewood

I'm not sure if she actually lead hikes in that area but there is a stone with a bronze plaque attached long a path near the parking lot at Old Mans Cave. I saw it several years ago so I assume it is still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Click on Hocking Hills State Park for more information. You'll find a phone number. Call and ask; only then will you know and be legal. Why create problems for yourself and others?

I'm not sure anymore where I saw information on Emma Gatewood leading hikes there years ago. If I remember correctly, it was one of her favorite places.

To view Hocking Hills State Park's Special Events Calendar for 2008, click on that link you just passed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++