I'll be SOBO from Harpers Ferry starting May 7th, however, the Amtrak from Washington Union Station won't arrive into Harpers Ferry until after 5:00 pm. Seems that I have three choices (camping):

1) SOBO from HF to the David Lesser Memorial Shelter (9.45 miles) which puts me into there well after dark (water 0.2 miles downhill from shelter + tenting sites).

2) NOBO from HF to the Ed Garvey Shelter (6.5 miles) which puts be into there just before dark (water 0.4 miles steep downhill from shelter + 2 tenting sites).

3) NOBO from HF to Weverton Primitive Camp (3.4 miles) which puts me into there well before dark (no water). Bring water from HF?

All information is taken from the Appalachian Pages Book, Southbound Edition.

What I need to know is what ideas you guys and gals have about where you might spend your first night on the AT among the three choices above and whether a small cooking fire might be permitted (since I can't bring any fuel on either Greyhound or Amtrak and everything will be closed when I arrive). Also, if #3 is the best choice among the three listed above, where would I be able to get water in HF for the night? Any permits required to camp? Any other ideas? Don't want to spend the money for a hostel or hotel on the first night!