WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default East Tennessee Hikers

Hello all, its starting to warm up again and the sun is getting warmer every day. I live just outside of Gatlinbug, and I'm looking for someone to hook up with for a few day and overnight trips in the area. If your interested give me a shout and well hook up sometime.

Keep it green
    Sansan

Images

Wife and I are hiking from Carver's Gap to Hwy 19E this Friday and Saturday, if you're interested. Another friend will be hiking with us the first day, then back to his car.

We're only doing 5 or 6 miles the first day to Overmountain Shelter. The second day is about 8 or 9 miles.

I'll be back the next week if possible to go from 19E to at least Kincora in Dennis Cove, but right now that looks to be by myself.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Gotta work on the weekend, sorry. Maybe next time

Will be going from Newfound Gap to HOt Springs ( or further) March 31--????. Plan on spending a night on MtLeconte for a side trip the first night, then back on the AT north.

Quote Originally Posted by kytrailman View Post
    Will be going from Newfound Gap to HOt Springs ( or further) March 31--????. Plan on spending a night on MtLeconte for a side trip the first night, then back on the AT north.

Lodge or shelter?

Never stay at shelters, I always use my tent

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sansancc View Post
    Never stay at shelters, I always use my tent
    Then don't do the AT in the Smokies. You're supposed to use the shelters unless you are a thru-hiker and the shelters are full. And BTW, the thru-hiker "season" when tenting is allowed is only March through May.

Now granted, I've only encountered a ranger once in many trips along the AT in the Smokies, and I don't know what they would do if you were found there off-permit (Maybe a warning, maybe a fine), but it's worth knowing about the rules, such as they are, in the park for AT hikers.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

:banana

I did go off trail in '03 and ran into a couple of rangers on horseback at the base of the Hazel Creek Trail. We had all our crap laid out and were cooking lunch. There could be no mistaking that we were long-distance hikers.

They didn't even register that we existed. They just trotted right on by. Guess it depends on the ranger and your luck.
    Yahtzee

Images

The ridge runner makes it a point to visit the shelters. I have never had a problem with them, but I do know they have the capacity to radio for a ranger if there is something they think needs to be addressed.
    The most beautiful of vistas are only seen after a long uphill climb.

++ New Posts ++