WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?

For those of you who have successfully completed a nonstop thru-hike, how do you really feel about section hikers? After all, section hikers do not have the same experience of thru-hikers of being out on the trail for many months at a time, and may take many years to complete the whole trail. Some may only be on the trail for a few days or week at a time.

Do you think your experience is different in some significant way from the section hikers, maybe even special (not necessarily superior) in a way that the section hikers is not?

Be honest here, no holding back to be polite!

A section-hiker is in no way, shape, or form inferior to a longer-distance hiker or thru-hiker, and the section's hiker's journey is in no way less meaningful or significant.

Every thru-hiker was a section hiker, weekender, or day-tripper once upon a time, and after their thru-hike is completed, every thru-hiker is fated to become a sectioner, weekender, or day-tripper again. Attempts to make one's own journey more "significant" somehow, whether because of how long one is out there, or how little one carries, or how quickly one hikes......all of this is foolish. Everyone goes out there for different reasons, and not everyone has the ability, time, money, and most of all, the interest in hiking the entire Trail all at once. Being a thru-hiker doesn't mean you're "special" when compared to someone who's only out for two weeks----it doesn't mean you're a more sincere or devoted hiker; it doesn't mean you have a greater appreciation for nature; it doesn't grant you any special rights or privileges when it comes to the Trail or to Trail facilities-----all it means is that you're out there for a longer period of time, and while there are some thru-hikers every year who cop attitudes and look down on section-hikers, and in some cases, are actually rude to them, well happily, these folks are in the minority. Everyone out there is special, whether they're out there for six months, six days, or even less.

Images

I'll vouch for the fact that Jack does" practice what he preaches". When I first met him at Kincora and introduced myself as just a section hiker he set me straight on using the word 'just'! Coming from him, I appreciated that.

Default Section hikers

I appreciate Jack's statement above. One evening as the hikers were gathering at Standing Indian shelter, a doctor and his two sons pitched tents in order to leave space in the shelter for those of us who fancied ourselves thru hikers. That night a heavy rain came through, and the doc got wet. The next night, a little farther up the trail, he and his sons rolled out their sleeping bags in a shelter, and I enjoyed getting to know them in that more intimate space; they were good folks, and we all had an equal right to be there and to utilize all the "accomodations."

Just to clarify, what I'm asking primarily is whether thru hikers feel section hikers are really part of the club. But related to that, whether thru hikers experience something special or rewarding from being on the trail for an extended period of time, that section hikers do not.

Images

I still don't know if I like the way that this question is worded. Thru-hiking is different from section hiking in that you are out for the whole 5-7 months and you have to confront feelings that section hikers do not. In the that respect, a thru-hike is "special." That does not mean that thru-hiking is any better than section hiking. In fact, I think that thru-hikers often lack some of the excitement that section hikers have. Both are unique experiences, and neither are inherently better than the other.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Maybe the question should be worded

"how do section hikers feel about thru's?"

"I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Images

Default section heroes

I've got more respect for someone who hikes the entire AT over 10 or 20 or 40 years, compared to the thru-hiker who does it over 5-6 months. Section hikers must get into "trail" shape each and every time they start again. A thru-hiker will maintain his/her shape and endurance for the long run. After a few weeks they keep it until they finish.
    Sure its hard to keep hiking and not give up for 150 straight days or more. But I think it is even impressive to devote ones week or two of yearly vacation to an AT hike, and continue to do so over and over. Section hiking takes way more money to do, considering the shuttle cost, lodging and transportation to trail each and every time. One thing sectioners have on thru's is that they can pick a section to do at an ideal time of year, as a thru-hiker must roll with the seasons and time.
    I am sad to say however that many thru-hikers gain the mentality that they are better and more deserving than the weekend warrior. Everyones out there for their own reasons.
    And think about how many more people a sectioner will meet over years of hiking.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I enjoy hanging out with section hikers much more than thru-hikers.

I have done both and I vastly prefer long section hikes (month or more). For me on a thru, there were and would be again, some days I simply do NOT want to be doing it. On a long section you just hike until you are satisfied, no pressure, no deadlines, no even remote pressure to mileslave. As for hiking with sectioners vs. thrus, it is like the difference between red and white wine. Sectioners are more fun, they laugh more and if you can catch them near the end of their section you get fantastic food. Thrus have an attitude that is intoxicating, like a battlefield mentality without the battle. I love to watch them interacting, it brings back powerful memories.

Default Hyoh

Isn't it really about hike your own hike?

Jack: Another great post. Thanks. Couldn't of said it better.

Images

I began my hike with the intention of hiking from Springer as far as I could get in the fall of 2002. I got off the trail in Bland, went back to Charlottesville for a while, and jumped back on and finished it by August. When I had no intention of hiking to Katahdin, I felt much more laid back and at ease. There was no huge pressure for miles. I had a deadline when I hiked with the intention of finishing. I was constantly worried that I wouldn't finish, and I forced myself to hiker more miles than I was comfortable with (I average 19 miles a day on the second go around, including two zeroes and a few neroes). Until I slowed down in Maine, I really did not enjoy it as much as I should have. My body was run down, and I longed to be one of those section hikers who could afford 10 mile days. This is not to say that there were not amazing moments, but a section hike is generally more relaxed.

Images

In May of 2002 I hiked from Springer to Damascus and had a wonderful time. Over the summer of 2003, I hiked the entire PCT, and had an even better time. For me, the time out was the important thing, so my thruhike is much more special to me than my section hike. If I had hiked from Mexico to, say, Oregon, rather than Canada, it still would have been more special to me than the shorter AT section hike. Finishing the PCT gave the summer a nice finale, but wasn't really all that important of a goal for me. Even if I eventually hike the rest of the AT in sections, it won't match up to the experience I had last summer. There is a huge mental and spiritual difference between being for a week at a time, spread out over the course of many, many years, and hiking for 4 months more or less continuously. That there is a difference does not imply that one is somehow better than the other. This depends on the individual involved. My preference is mine, and having doesn't mean others should as well. But, I think that there is a fundamental difference that is foolish to ignore.

Default Just curious why.....

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf

Why? is there something that section hikers have what thru-hikers is missing? Is thru-hikers too focus on time and money, can't afford to spend extra money in towns? or complains too much about blisters? am being just a curiousity cat.

Happy Hiking!

Flash Hand

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that section hikers haven't completed the fermentation process yet?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Without commenting on who is "better" than someone else, I'd like to say that both thru-hiking and section-hiking are fantastic experiences and those who attempt or complete either (or both) should have our utmost respect.

Having said that, I'd like to offer the following:

I think it's much tougher physically and logistically for the section hiker. He or she usually doesn't start a section in "trail shape," and (if lucky) may just start to get into "shape" when it's time to go home once again. Also, the section hiker has to be concerned with getting to the Trail and back home each and every time--and that can be difficult, time consuming, and expensive. The thru-hiker needs to get to Springer and then home from Katahdin or vice versa, and maybe go someplace due to personal commitment or injury once or twice during the journey.

But long distance hiking, for most, usually becomes more of a mental and emotional struggle after a couple months or less. And when you look at it that way the thru-hiker has it a LOT tougher.

I think most of the section hikers I've met in the last few years have already done their thur-hike and are out to enjoy the trail as it really should be enjoyed. Not having to do a certain amount of miles, not worrying about money and really being able to appreciate what we have really got here. You can take the time to smell the roses and meet the people that make the AT such a special place while you're doing a section hike. Not to take anything away from the thur-hiker.

Skunkleberry Finn

Default a happy medium

Though I agree that both section hikers and thru-hikers deserve the same great deal of respect I think there can be a happy medium..

Long distance section hiking ( 1-3 months) I think would incorporate some of the feelings you get when you thru-hike such has getting in shape and pumping out the long miles along with the thrill of picking up maildrops or hiking with a group of people for weeks or more. All of these experiences are great that unfortunately small section hikers of a week or less dont get to enjoy..

On the other hand.. Section hikers get to come and go as they please. They get to do how ever many miles they feel like doing and are in no time crunch to go too far too fast. They also like many have mentioned get to pick the best weather for the best sectioned. Also a plus.

I think that doing a long section hike would incorporate both of these awesome ways to hike the AT. Both the section hiker and thru-hiker are all get men and woman who are awesome and there is no way that is a wrong way to hike the AT ( except maybe yellow-blazin a long way )

Keep on hiking! Thank you Benton.

Skunkleberry Finn

Default inspired by thru hikers

I'm one of the people who won't get to thru hike for another 5 years when I retire from teaching but I do section hike every chance I can (when hubby can take off from work). Every year we go to Damascus for trail days so I can enjoy the excitement and camaraderie that exists from all the thru hikers. We love to listen to the stories and share in the experience because it keeps my dream alive. I think both types are special hikes and after listening to thru hikers, I know that I will have a totally different experience when I thru hike then when I section hike. Thru hikers I have met have always been so encouraging towards me and treated me as if I was something special too for just section hiking. Hooray for thru hikers!

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Thru Or Section?

Hi Jack....I agree in principal with what you said, however, I'll say this... The major 'difference' between Thru and Section hiking is time spent traversing the Mother Earth. It's a spiritural thing.....related to proximity and well, time, spent in proximity with The Earth. Usually the short time Sectional hiker isn't out there long enough to 'get connected'. I don't think I've ever met a Thru-Hiker who did't 'get it'. That is, why we'er out there. The Earth is a Spiritual Entity much greater than any of us, and when you're out there traversing her in a natural way (not on a bike, in a car, bus or plane) for the accepted amount of time (this varies from individual to individual), you become Spritually Connected To The Earth. When this occurs, any disrespect (trashing, unethical practices related to ecology or hurting The Earth) go out of the window, and one becomes Connected. With this Connectedness comes Stewarship and Other Forms of Trail & Earth related Individual Care Proccesses.
    Granted, an individual may already possess this Connectedness without ever having hiked a foot, or maybe a Sectional Hiker....I'm just trying to say that some folks never get it. If we all were Connected to The Earth, their would be no pollution or disrespect anywhere. Proximity to The Earth is the Key, and Thru-Hiking supports this supposition to the utmost. The Light....The Love....The Peace....The Trail.....Kozmic Zian Ga-Me, 1996

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++