WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Weaker? Wiser? Or some of both?

Well, I'm enjoying my Spring Break in Alabama with my fiancee and her family, watching the rain pour down.

My plans were to hike the Bartram Trail, taking nine days to cover the full 100+ miles. But with the severe storms of the weekend, including the tornadoes that ripped up Atlanta, I decided not to hike Saturday. So instead of crunching the BT into 8 days, I decided to hike the 76 miles of the Foothills Trail over 6 days. And after three days of great trail, but bad hip chafing and quickly degrading weather, I chose to hitch over to my truck yesterday morning after 30 miles.

So now I sit here wondering. Would I have doggedly pressed on 9 years ago while hiking the AT? I think yes, but wonder if that's because I knew there would be a dry shelter at day's end instead of a wet tent? Or would I have hitched into a town to avoid the lightning and storms? Did I wimp out, or was it a wise choice since I can come back and finish the trail in an easy 4 days in late May when summer vacation hits?

Looking out at the downpour from the safety of this house, I have to admit I am GLAD I'm not out in this mess right now.

So am I using wisdom as a cover for not being young and reckless and lively enough to happily stomp through the rain and mud and lightning the way I used to?

Oh well, enough pondering. I'll have the trip report with pics by this Sunday.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Didn't know you were getting married Bearpaw. Congrats.

Images

Try the Pinhoti Trail... ?
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Well, I'm enjoying my Spring Break in Alabama with my fiancee and her family, watching the rain pour down.

My plans were to hike the Bartram Trail, taking nine days to cover the full 100+ miles. But with the severe storms of the weekend, including the tornadoes that ripped up Atlanta, I decided not to hike Saturday. So instead of crunching the BT into 8 days, I decided to hike the 76 miles of the Foothills Trail over 6 days. And after three days of great trail, but bad hip chafing and quickly degrading weather, I chose to hitch over to my truck yesterday morning after 30 miles.

So now I sit here wondering. Would I have doggedly pressed on 9 years ago while hiking the AT? I think yes, but wonder if that's because I knew there would be a dry shelter at day's end instead of a wet tent? Or would I have hitched into a town to avoid the lightning and storms? Did I wimp out, or was it a wise choice since I can come back and finish the trail in an easy 4 days in late May when summer vacation hits?

Looking out at the downpour from the safety of this house, I have to admit I am GLAD I'm not out in this mess right now.

So am I using wisdom as a cover for not being young and reckless and lively enough to happily stomp through the rain and mud and lightning the way I used to?

there are two bulls on a hill top, over looking a bunch of cows down in the valley. the young bull says lets run down there and play with a cow? the older bull says no! lets walk down and play with them all. IMO you did not whimp out.

Images

How about just more enjoyable?

Images

We have bailed out on several trips where the weather was predicted to be horrible, nothing as major as hurricanes or tornadoes, but just if it promised to be unbelievably hot and muggy and buggy, or to be a cold rain for days on end. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with not going when you know there is a 99.9% chance you're going to be miserable. I think it is a normal human instinct to prefer to be inside where it is dry and warm than out shivering in a wet tent or sleeping bag. Yes, as backpackers we are willing to put up with much more discomfort to pursue the activity we love, but that does not mean our appetite for suffering is unlimited, or that it somehow makes us "less" as backpackers to admit that.

JMHO!

Jane in CT

Merry Hikester

See thru-hiker adage #463:
    The best time for hiking is always tommorow.
    or # 325:
    I'm thru-hiking.......through hiking if it keeps raining like this!
    but not #13
    NO RAIN, NO PAIN, NO MAINE!!!
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

I vote for wiser. Given the choice, who wouldn't opt to hike in good weather.

Depends what your point in being there is/was. You can learn a lot by going out when you might ought to stay home, but chances are it won't be as comfortable. We are none of us as used to varied weather conditions and all the circumstances of the great out doors as were our ancestors, the really old ones. We all come from people who used to live out there. So it's really just a matter of competing priorities. You want to be a real outdoorsman? Be out doors. In all weathers, all conditions, all seasons. You want to be comfortable? Choose your time.

As for the uncomfortable hip belt, get it fixed. Come off trail to do so, if that seems to be the best solution, but then get back to it. Or just try to fix it up temporarily, or live with it. Your call.

No judgment in any of this. It's all your decision, your life. Do what you want. Just try to be clear in your own mind what that is. Second guessing and regrets are self abuse you can do without. If you aren't happy with the way it turned out, do it different next time. Learn and live.

Here's my fetid opinion: With a certain amount of time allotted for a backpacking trip(let's say 10 days), I'd want to stay out those days whether I'm putting in the miles or not, cuz the opportunity to be out might not come again or I could die in my sleep back in the civilized world without having had a recent trip, etc. So, when I've been caught in Miss Nature's meanness, I just set up the tent and hang out for a while, sometimes a long while.

The only consideration is the first day of a trip as I don't like to start out in a deluge. But lately, as some of my trips have been curtailed due to family responsibilites, if I get a chance at a 5 or 8 day trip, I'll take it no matter heck or high water.

In your case, why didn't you just sit tight for a while? Or start back the 30 miles the way you came? You could've reached your truck that way, too.

Now the hip belt thing is in a different category, not really a wimping out but a gear issue. Happened to me using a new Kelty external carrying 65 pounds, but I kept on the schedule and god smiled on me when I got back and walked into a Chattanooga backpacking store where they had their Dana Designs Terraplanes on sale with a 40% discount. New pack, hundreds of days of more bag nights.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Now the hip belt thing is in a different category, not really a wimping out but a gear issue.
    The crazy thing is that I've used this pack (My ULA Catalyst) repeatedly and it has been the most comfortable hip belt I've ever used. I've never had any notable chafing before. As nearly as I can tell, the chafing was due to tucking my shirt into my shorts on day one. The wicking material was fairly slick and it caused my shorts to slide down where the elastic and interior belt bunched under the hip belt. That and the combination that I've lost about 35 pounds since the first of the year seem to have contributed to the chafing.

As for going backwards, it wouldn't have taken me to my truck. The Foothills Trail is a one-way deal where I staged my truck at Table Rock State Park and my fiancee dropped me off at Oconee State Park. Laying low would have caused the folks at Table Rock to start a search because they require an itinerary before you begin the hike. It was a bit of a problem caused by outside agencies.

But I am seriously considering simply slackpacking the rest of the trail in May. I never slackpacked on the AT, but I'm seriously considering doing it for some upcoming shorter "long" trails in the southeast.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Didn't know you were getting married Bearpaw. Congrats.
    Yeah, I got engaged to Sleeps With Skunks back in November. We're set for the wedding in May if I don't go running into the hills in terror first. I'm just afraid she'd probably track me down there too.

Of course I love her. It's just that marriage is for, you know, life, and the thought of a life sentence is pretty severe........

Images

....makes 2,000 miles sounds short.

Merry Hikester

Will the skunks stay in your bed too?
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyhick View Post
    ....makes 2,000 miles sounds short.
    Yeah, sort of a steamy tempestuous 6-month fling. Now that I think about it, I've had a lot of those.....

Maybe that's why marriage is such an intimidating endeavor for me.

Images

Take it from a 'single again guy'.... if you don't view it as an 'intimidating endeavor' you simply are not thinking. I'm not downing marriage, but you really REALLY gotta do some thinking/soul searching. Good luck, I wish you the best!

I have called it quits early on two section hikes due to weather. When I went back to pick up where I left off, the weather was much worse. Go figure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I have called it quits early on two section hikes due to weather. When I went back to pick up where I left off, the weather was much worse. Go figure.
    You know, the irony in that is just sickening. And yet, I feel I can strangely identify with it.

The good news about the FHT and the Bartram Trail is they are within a 1/2-day drive, and with the time off I get from teaching, I can afford to be selective. Now if it were summer and I were on the John Muir Trail in California? I'd likely suck it up, as long as my ankle weren't swollen up like a gold ball sticking out (which it did last summer). The good news? The stress fracture in my ankle was almost unnoticeable from last year. Just the tiniest hint of stiffness after two 12-mile days, and some decent pavement pounding on day 3 while I hitched.

At least I feel better on that point. Now if I can arrange some long-distance slackpacking with Sleeps With Skunks, I can combine my hiking with seeing her most nights AND some of the comforts of car-camping. It's a tempting thought.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Will the skunks stay in your bed too?
    Sleeps With Skunks would give a resounding "NO!!" On three occasions, skunks have walked up to her while sleeping. The first time, we were under a tarp at Land Between the Lakes NRA. It has taken a LOT for her not to demand a full tent since. However, SHE is the one who has had night-time skunk encounters while she was hiking solo, so she is the one who landed the trail name.

But when I got in from the trail last night after a 5-hour drive, I was NOT a skunk she was going to sleep with, at least until after a shower.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post

I think I would file this under "It seemed like the right thing to do at the time." and leave it at that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++