WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Remedies

It's the responsibility of business owners near the AT to deal with problem hikers and it's in their interest to do so. If they don't act, it's their choice.

If they want to charge more or exclude hikers in some other legal way from their establishment or prosecute that might be a solution. Maybe then, the AT would become about hiking again and primarily section hiking by people who have jobs, can afford to hike and know how to comport themselves.

Those hikers who travel with these individuals if they have any sense, will point out to them their errors. It is not our place, rather the businesses and their hiking companions who should watch out for themselves. The businesses at least may to a greater extent than many realize.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    ... a tremendous demonstration of incestuous amplification on both sides.
    I don't think that's legal in Georgia either.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    I don't think that's legal in Georgia either.

No, it totally is. Just checked. The rule is you need to have a lawn gnome, fisting mitten, and turkey baster.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blister View Post
    Smoking in a non smoking room can actually cause the hotel to loose business. Many people today are non smokers (I am not one of them by the way)and when entering an area where heavy smoking has occured after being promised a non smoking room - it stinks, and the customer will refuse to stay there. I have seen this happen. To properly defumagate a hotel room after heavy smoking has occured it costs somewhere in the realm of over 500 bucks. Smoke does not go away it settles on surfaces leaving discoloration and stale odors. Curtains need to be dry cleaned as well as bedding materials washed, carpets need to be steam cleaned not to mention damage to wallpaper or repainting add in the labor for all of these tasks and smoking in a non smoking room costs the hotel money. The 85 dollar room rate doesnt cover those cleaning costs. Hotels usuallly have outdoor ashtrays for customers who smoke. Years ago I never thought of the damages but being in the hospitality industry I have seen the effects and now practice Leave no Trace as much as possible in towns as well. Hikers or not, it goes back to the issue of respecting rules and other people property. How will these folks treat other businesses, hostels and shelters, when they believe when they believe set guidelines do not apply to them???

You obviously know what you're talking about, because of your experience in the hospitality industry. Thanks for posting.

It's very early in these guys' thru-hike. If they are barred from a place or two north of Hiawassee because word gets out about them, there is still time for them to reform and have a great hike that won't impact the rest of us (contacting the HIE/Hiawassee and offering an apology plus $$$ if they caused damages would help a lot). I'm not talking about calling out a lynching party--just letting other unsuspecting trail services providers know what happened in Hiawassee. They can rebuild their reputations through exemplary behavior and we can all sing Kum Ba Ya around a campfire at the Gathering.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    No, it totally is. Just checked. The rule is you need to have a lawn gnome, fisting mitten, and turkey baster.
    Thanks. That explains Matthewski's gear list.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    It's very early in these guys' thru-hike. If they are barred from a place or two north of Hiawassee because word gets out about them, there is still time for them to reform and have a great hike that won't impact the rest of us (contacting the HIE/Hiawassee and offering an apology plus $$$ if they caused damages would help a lot). I'm not talking about calling out a lynching party--just letting other unsuspecting trail services providers know what happened in Hiawassee. They can rebuild their reputations through exemplary behavior and we can all sing Kum Ba Ya around a campfire at the Gathering.
    What you suggest can be done quietly without any posts, fuss or threats of retaliation here. Those who wish to forward information about what these individuals have done and their identies to your friends who own business farther north are not prohibited from doing so. Maybe you should do that now, rather than post.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    and what if the hotel only offers non smoking rooms in order to appease certain potential yuppy uppy customers, and neglects cleaining the smoking room? are you still obligated to care about their petty concerns over a little smoke?
    I don't see it as a petty concern as much as I do a health issue. Some people don't like the smell of smoke, myself included. Others are less fortunate and are allergic to it. This isn't an issue of so-called "smoker's rights". Simply put, it's a matter of respecting the rules and property of others. When you have guests in your home, do you allow them to come in and **** all over your carpet? My guess is no. They don't because they respect the rules of common decency that are expected of them while they are in your home. There should be no less standard expected of guests in a hotel/motel/hostel, IMHO.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Hate to hear about pathetic crap like this. This sense of entitlement is garbage and the perps need to be called out.

I stayed there in 03' and had a great experience. I believe the place was pretty new and just starting to do a hiker rate. At 20 bucks a person, it was among one of the best deals on the whole trail, considering a room, laundry facilities, continental breakfast, location, pool/hot tub, etc.

Nothin' like a bunch of idiot pot smokers to fill the hiker stereotype.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Yes. obey the gray headed men of fifty years ago. anyhow, i was referring more to the 'acceptable behavior' norms that other social fascists in here are citing. Like using laundry 'appropriately" ( none of us even know the details here) but that does not hold back the sea of the self righteous.
    Ah to be 22 again. I knew so much back then, to bad I forgot most of it as I got older.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    What you suggest can be done quietly without any posts, fuss or threats of retaliation here. Those who wish to forward information about what these individuals have done and their identies to your friends who own business farther north are not prohibited from doing so. Maybe you should do that now, rather than post.
    If I was in the Hiawassee area and knew who these guys were or had the time to investigate, I probably would. I only made a recommendation that one or more persons in the area do so. As you just did, sort of . . .

Blister pretty much nailed it.

I don't smoke anymore, but I did for years, and probably did so more than once in a place I shouldn't have.

And it was wrong.

If it's a no-smoking room, you don't smoke there, period. And if you want to get high in a motel room, well, that's YOUR risk.

I kinda hope these folks ARE identified and outed. The only way to put a stop to this b******t is when people realize their actions cause consequences. Speaking as someone who was planning to take advantage of the hiker rate at the Holiday Inn in a few days, this sort of thing can really piss you off.

If anyone finds out who these ass-clowns are, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with naming them.

They need to go home.

Images

If I owned a business along the AT, I believe I'd establish relationships with business owners who'd keep me informed as to who's headed my way and I'd do the same for them. Of course, anyone with a need to know and a phone could likely find out all they'd desire with a single phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    The people at the Holiday Inn Express really go out of their way to accommodate hikers and there has been plenty of abuse, loud hikers partying till the early hours of the morning, pot smoking, dogs sneaked in, rooms trashed, etc. The discount wasn't deserved. Same thing for the one in Erwin.
    why is being loud an abuse??? did not the hikers PAY for their room? Cannot they LIVE in their room?

why is being loud an abuse??? did not the hikers PAY for their room? Cannot they LIVE in their room?
    you're just a young punk *******. you will not go far in life

Quote Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
    Nope but just don't be surprised when the business owner chooses not to serve you or others like you. It is a free market, the owner has the right to establish the rules of his business, as a customer you have the choose to comply or take the business elsewhere.
    or, because the system of business has become corrupt, you simply make the rules you would have through real negotiation, rather than a pick from a bunch of different hotels who offer the same selfish rules that serve them more than you but do differ in price, which DWM is suggesting is significant somehow.

that is, because the market has become something unfree, you simply make it free.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're just a young punk *******. you will not go far in life
    good thing you are my role model.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Blister pretty much nailed it.

I don't smoke anymore, but I did for years, and probably did so more than once in a place I shouldn't have.

And it was wrong.

If it's a no-smoking room, you don't smoke there, period. And if you want to get high in a motel room, well, that's YOUR risk.

I kinda hope these folks ARE identified and outed. The only way to put a stop to this b******t is when people realize their actions cause consequences. Speaking as someone who was planning to take advantage of the hiker rate at the Holiday Inn in a few days, this sort of thing can really piss you off.

If anyone finds out who these ass-clowns are, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with naming them.

They need to go home.
    why is no one criticizing the hotel owner for STEREOTYPING hikers??? why are you entitlement whiners upset that you now have to pay the same price as EVERYONE else for a room? quit crying. if you need a place to say, grow some balls and camp on the trail, you know, what you came to do, supposedly.

whaaaaa, waaaaa, baaaa, baaaaa,

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

would you like a roll with you T

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Because people in the rooms adjacent to theirs may be trying to rest. Just because someone pays for their room at a hotel, doesn't give them the right to do as they please there. Owners have the right to establish rules of expected behavior and decency. If people staying there volutarily choose to ignore said rules, then they deserve what they have coming to them. I'm with Jack, I would have no problem with people like that being identified so they can face the consequences of their actions.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Because people in the rooms adjacent to theirs may be trying to rest. Just because someone pays for their room at a hotel, doesn't give them the right to do as they please there. Owners have the right to establish rules of expected behavior and decency. If people staying there volutarily choose to ignore said rules, then they deserve what they have coming to them. I'm with Jack, I would have no problem with people like that being identified so they can face the consequences of their actions.
    and i am sure those folks can care less.

but why does someone who is loud have to conform to one who is quiet? would it be any different if we said the quiet must conform to the loud?

why does one get the benefit of the doubt?

(and if someone is trying to rest, perhaps they could go home, or somewhere where they are not sharing a building with a hundred people)

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++