WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Images

It's a matter of respect. Regardless of whether or not they are offering a hiker discount if they ask you not to smoke in a room, don't smoke in the room. It's that simple. The fact that they were offering a discount and these people still chose to disregard this simple request makes it even more ludicrous. These guys should be turned down for lodging in the future.

It's a shame. What's worse is the hotel is doing that to so many because of a few. It will just cost them $. I was planning on Cloud 9 anyway. They seem much nicer and the fish looks pretty damn good.

A lot of hikers would "smoke" in the room. If they would actually clean smoking rooms then they would stay in them. That's why I never did when I smoked cigs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    because they do not behave within certain arbitrarily set standards of OK behavoir?
    The rule about not smoking in a non-smoking room? Yes, that's arbitrary, but it's still a rule.

That LAW about smoking pot in Georgia? Yeah, it's arbitrary, but you can still face fines and jail for it.

These guys got off light. It's the folks who come after them that suffer.

Spend enough time breaking those "arbitrary" standards and they will enjoy their arbitrary legal consequences, especially if they stay at the Fontana Hilton.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

it is not hard to step outside of a non smoking room to puff on your weed....spend six months on the trail but cant go outside to smoke...stupid

umm, if you are in the middle of town, it could be obvious, freeleo.

i say if you open up your business to the public, you should expect a variety of behavior. this is supposed to be a free country, and some people actually act that way.

Images

So if you're at a friend's house or someone nice person picks you up at a trailhead and offers you dinner at their house, and they politely ask you not to smoke in their house, setting an arbitrary rule under which you may feel restricted, do you just light up anyway and disrespect them, because you feel the need to assert that this is a free country and you are a free man?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    The rule about not smoking in a non-smoking room? Yes, that's arbitrary, but it's still a rule.
    what if there were no sex rooms for people who dont want to sleep atop the semen of others? further, what if there were 'no anal sex' rooms, in case you do not want to sleep after homosexuals? considering all of the nasty stuff that goes on in hotel rooms, for you fools and these owners to be outraged about a little smoke demonstrates your appetite for extreme delusion and lack of understanding of the world. people are not obligating to follow you into the black hole of delusion.
    That LAW about smoking pot in Georgia? Yeah, it's arbitrary, but you can still face fines and jail for it.
    Yes. obey the gray headed men of fifty years ago. anyhow, i was referring more to the 'acceptable behavior' norms that other social fascists in here are citing. Like using laundry 'appropriately" ( none of us even know the details here) but that does not hold back the sea of the self righteous.

These guys got off light. It's the folks who come after them that suffer.

Spend enough time breaking those "arbitrary" standards and they will enjoy their arbitrary legal consequences, especially if they stay at the Fontana Hilton.

For these reasons and other let's leave the lawyerin' and policin' to those sworn and legaly bound to protect and honor our laws. Like, I don't know, maybe the police.

Or, if the hotel had such an issue with the smoke and property damage why not charge the card used to rent the room.

But, if there's anything learned from the Port Clinton Massarcree of 2007 it's that there 'aint no justice like angry mob justice!

umm, if you are in the middle of town, it could be obvious that you are doing something you ought not do because it is against the law, freeleo.

i say if you open up your business to the public, you should expect a variety of behavior. this is supposed to be a free country, and some people actually act that way. Because freedom means that I get to do what I want to, & piss on other peoples "rules" and "laws".
    I fixed your statements for you.

Images

i say if you open up your business to the public, you should expect a variety of behavior. this is supposed to be a free country, and some people actually act that way.
    Liberty does not equal anarchy
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    So if you're at a friend's house or someone nice person picks you up at a trailhead and offers you dinner at their house, and they politely ask you not to smoke in their house, setting an arbitrary rule under which you may feel restricted, do you just light up anyway and disrespect them, because you feel the need to assert that this is a free country and you are a free man?
    well, if i did, i would accept the consequences that would follow. if i valued the friendship, i would follow his rules. if i did not, i would accept the loss of a friend or a diminished friendship.

however, we were referring to a business trying to capitalize off of certain needs, not stopping at any point to maximize their profits. see the difference? kind of the apples and oranges thing.

how would you feel about no sex rooms?

this business obviously did not know much about hikers... what is so bad about smoke in a room?
    it was a NON smoking room. duh

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post
    smoking a little pot in a room does not quite constitute anarchy either, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post

Vigilante justice equals anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it was a NON smoking room. duh
    and what if the hotel only offers non smoking rooms in order to appease certain potential yuppy uppy customers, and neglects cleaining the smoking room? are you still obligated to care about their petty concerns over a little smoke?

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

You are delusional yourself, that being said, if I was said hotel owner and you smoked up in a nonsmoking room at my hotel then by your own definition I have the right to tear your hide up!

If you want to smoke then get a smoking room, or.....don't stay at my hotel if you can't control yourself...monkeys masturbate all the time when the urge strikes them, what you are saying is that you are no better than them.

Perhaps the hotel should just take and hold a credit card, and if you violate then they charge it on your card. The last hotel we stayed at in Houston does this, $250 for smoking in a nonsmoking room.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    You are delusional yourself, that being said, if I was said hotel owner and you smoked up in a nonsmoking room at my hotel then by your own definition I have the right to tear your hide up!

If you want to smoke then get a smoking room, or.....don't stay at my hotel if you can't control yourself...monkeys masturbate all the time when the urge strikes them, what you are saying is that you are no better than them.

Perhaps the hotel should just take and hold a credit card, and if you violate then they charge it on your card. The last hotel we stayed at in Houston does this, $250 for smoking in a nonsmoking room.
    i was merely suggesting that it is silly for a hotel owner to throw a few rules on the wall and expect the masses to fall in line like sheep. not saying that concerns or charging for clean up are not justified.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

...for you fools and these owners to be outraged about a little smoke demonstrates your appetite for extreme delusion and lack of understanding of the world. people are not obligating to follow you into the black hole of delusion.
    You are being judgemental and self-righteous.

A contract exists between the customers and the inn-keeper. The inn-keeper may not decide he has no obligation to provide beds, showers, hot water, linens, or a securable door after agreeing to provide those services. The customers also agrees to some obligations such as paying for their stay, not breaking the furniture, not stealing the towels and not smoking in rooms designated as non-smoking.

Those aren't rules. Those are agreements made between the customer and the owner. According to the OP, somebody didn't keep their word.

Perhaps in your worldview expecting people to keep their word is a black hole of delusion. For some people that expectation may be too high.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    You are being judgemental and self-righteous.

A contract exists between the customers and the inn-keeper. The inn-keeper may not decide he has no obligation to provide beds, showers, hot water, linens, or a securable door after agreeing to provide those services. The customers also agrees to some obligations such as paying for their stay, not breaking the furniture, not stealing the towels and not smoking in rooms designated as non-smoking.

Those aren't rules. Those are agreements made between the customer and the owner. According to the OP, somebody didn't keep their word.

Perhaps in your worldview expecting people to keep their word is a black hole of delusion. For some people that expectation may be too high.
    but what if all inn keepers band together and decide what they are and are not obligated to do, with out consulting the customer??
    (which is a tad closer to reality than your simplistic scenario)

and as a result, come out with silly rules, like non smoking, simply as marketing ploys? am i supposed to care about the profits of a man that teams up with other businesses and does not consult me?

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

but what if all inn keepers band together and decide what they are and are not obligated to do, with out consulting the customer??
    (which is a tad closer to reality than your simplistic scenario)

and as a result, come out with silly rules, like non smoking, simply as marketing ploys? am i supposed to care about the profits of a man that teams up with other businesses and does not consult me?
    Nope but just don't be surprised when the business owner chooses not to serve you or others like you. It is a free market, the owner has the right to establish the rules of his business, as a customer you have the choose to comply or take the business elsewhere.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++