WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Injury takes me off the trail...

Well I started out on the trail on the 18th and basically made it to Dicks Creek Gap. I was hiking with "OGhostWhoWalks" and as we were making our decent to the road to get into Hiawassee I hit a leaf-covered rock and turned my ankle all the way over. The Doctors in town said that I have a severe high ankle sprain and I have to wear a brace for a week or 2 and I can't carry a heavy pack for 4 weeks. I couldn't be more disappointed but after talking to alot of people like Mala, Baltimore Jack and Nightwalker I'm told that it's just part of the game and not to let it bother me too much. I'm having alot of trouble not letting it bother me though because my wife who I thought would be disappointed for me is actually disappointed in me. She is a really great marathon runner and trains more than anyone I've ever met. She feels that this is my fault because I didn't train enough to help myself avoid injury. Apparently if I would've trained more that rock that I never saw just wouldn't have been there. I guess I'm just venting to you guys and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to know if there are others out there that have had similar injuries that have kept them from being able to finish the trail? I'm just trying to make myself feel better about the situation I'm dealing with. Thanks guys.

Images

Injury can happen to anyone, at any time. Don't let your wife make you feel guilty. If you want to get back on the trail, you will, and you will have a great time. As others have said many times, the trail will be there when you are ready and able.

In the mean-time, rest, ice, exercise as recommended. Do what you need to do and keep a positive attitude. That is the one thing you truly can control in any situation - your attitude!

Best wishes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Throw her to the curb and get you a woman that will be proud you at least tried!!

Just kidding about the throwing her to the curb part!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lavy View Post
    Well I started out on the trail on the 18th and basically made it to Dicks Creek Gap. I was hiking with "OGhostWhoWalks" and as we were making our decent to the road to get into Hiawassee I hit a leaf-covered rock and turned my ankle all the way over. The Doctors in town said that I have a severe high ankle sprain and I have to wear a brace for a week or 2 and I can't carry a heavy pack for 4 weeks. I couldn't be more disappointed but after talking to alot of people like Mala, Baltimore Jack and Nightwalker I'm told that it's just part of the game and not to let it bother me too much. I'm having alot of trouble not letting it bother me though because my wife who I thought would be disappointed for me is actually disappointed in me. She is a really great marathon runner and trains more than anyone I've ever met. She feels that this is my fault because I didn't train enough to help myself avoid injury. Apparently if I would've trained more that rock that I never saw just wouldn't have been there. I guess I'm just venting to you guys and I'm sorry for that but I wanted to know if there are others out there that have had similar injuries that have kept them from being able to finish the trail? I'm just trying to make myself feel better about the situation I'm dealing with. Thanks guys.
    The wisdom and infallibility of indoor plumbing

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    ?????????????????????

Journal Entries
    Images

?????????????????????

Yeah...............I was sorta thinking the same thing!!

DIVORCE HER ! or at least that would be motavation for me to recover and get the hell away from her, i mean get the hell back out there. good luck with your ankle. you have plenty of time to get back on the trail. just joking about the divorce. even most marathoners dont have the type of course we hike on. most people think you should worry about snakes,bears,hill billys(appalachian americans) when slippery roots,rocks and yes rocks covered by leaves are exceptionly bad! trust me i hike in chacos sandels i know. try to relax,rest get better and get back out there next month.

Images

why can't you get back out there after the ankle heals. Still plenty of time to finish, or flip flop.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

who gets injured on the AT is completely random, it even effects marathon runners who start in 'perfect shape' (ha), every rock, root and rut that you step on is a risk for injury. I did a some training (dayhikes 2-3 a week) before my first long section, my second long section, i started cold turkey, hadn't been hiking in over 5 months. i didn't see much of a difference, both hikes i started slow, and increased as i felt comfortable, the only thing definiate about my next hike is that i'll start slow again.

its all luck, hikers in front and behind you probably hit the exact same leaf covered rock with out falling, but don't worry there have been other rocks and what not that you have stepped on fine but have injured others have gotten injured on. its just the cards dealt
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    why can't you get back out there after the ankle heals. Still plenty of time to finish, or flip flop.
    Mid April to May 1 is the ideal time to start the trail to enjoy the peak of the southern mountain wild flowers. In my experience such accidents tend to stem from going too fast, too early. Slow down and work your way north.

Weary

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Things like that happen. I did a face plant one day because of a little (maybe one inch diameter) but extremely tough sapling stump on the trail that someone had cut off at about six inches from the ground. Just didn't see it. I was luck to avoid iserious njury, because I was alone, and about 15 miles from the nearest road.

Images

Hmmmmm, I would let my ankle heal for three weeks and carry a lighter pack. Life is all about making compromises. Seriously, I got off the trail on my thru back in 75 because of a turned ankle and I have always regretted not getting back on the trail.

Good luck and heal quick.
    WalkingStick"75"

Hey...im going to hike the trail in 6 days with my wife...you can make it....flip flop...not too hard to do...just go north and start south...you already have made many miles....ALL IS NOT LOST. Most people yes, start south and go north....but don't let this stop you...you can STILL head south!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post

ROFLOL

Images

The trail will be there for you to pick back up where you left off. I came down with viral bronchitis las June on my way up to Maine, which became walking pneumonia, and killed my SOBO. I had to bail in Monson, ME. I'll give it another shot sometime.

Images

Don't feel bad, injury happens. There is always a rock,stump,leaf, etc out there just waiting to reach out and grab you. This time you just happen to be the unlucky one it happenend to

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm not quite on board with your wife's take on the situation, not that it matters.

Marathons do indeed have runners who are DNF (did not finish) because of poor preparation and training for the race but if she is indeed a real runner she has to know that any runner is subject to an injury during a race.

You have to sign a release to run a marathon. You don't to hike the AT.

Alas, I'm not aware of Aircasts for old man's knees, as they could have helped me coming back up from Siler Bald shelter. Once again my right knee has failed me, and I'll head back to 'my favorite' sports medicine doc for another evaluation. HOWEVER,.....as MacArthur said,..."I will return". I'm often reminded,....it's a hike, not a race. You folks have fun out there.......

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Injury

Any one who does a thru without some sort of injury is damn lucky. Some injurys take you off the trail and some let you continue.
    Heal it up and come back out. Happy trails.
    Grampie-N->2001

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I missed several weeks of hiking from Lyme and then had to hike at less than 1/4 of my earlier pace for several more weeks. Injuries are part of sports. No need to quit, nor is there a need to start before you're healed up and ready to go.

Best of Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++