WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

Default High Point State Park may Close.

I'm not sure if anyone cares, but New Jersey is pretty much broke. The last one to leave here is reminded to turn off the lights and lock the door.

The newest proposal to save money involves closing several State Parks, including High Point. There's no mention of the AT in the attached newspaper story. I would suspect that the AT would remain open, but that all side trails and access to the lakes and monument would be closed. I might also expect that parking areas used for access to the AT would be closed.

http://www.njherald.com/314426482000840.php

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone cares, but New Jersey is pretty much broke. The last one to leave here is reminded to turn off the lights and lock the door.

The newest proposal to save money involves closing several State Parks, including High Point. There's no mention of the AT in the attached newspaper story. I would suspect that the AT would remain open, but that all side trails and access to the lakes and monument would be closed. I might also expect that parking areas used for access to the AT would be closed.

i think most would be interested the trail goes thru the park. nice little place,cool observation tower. except for the water fountain in front of the headqtrs. building (my vote for one of the worst water source's)the water has a high content of sulfur? i believe. hope times get better for all of us.happy hiking

STEVEM thanks for the heads up!

Images

1015 was discussing this AM and it centered around things like bathrooms, pools, campgrounds and snack centers being closed. Hiking Trails woul likely stay open. But then again, one can never be too sure when most of the criminal element in NJ is in the government.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

it won't affect walking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it won't affect walking
    our parks down here willbe closed to walking as per article in paper http://www.nj.com/news/sunbeam/index...820.xml&coll=9
    like to see them try

Swimming without a crowd and sleeping up at the monument.....
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Doyle, your selfish & criminal behavior will not go unchecked. The park police will still be operating.

I quiver in my thrift store hiking shoes.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

My favorite New Jersey Park Police story:

A few years ago I came home from work one night and found my wife in the driveway with a small cooler. She says that she made a picnic meal and wanted to go to High Point Park since it was such a nice day.

So we drive to Sawmill Lake which is surrounded by maybe 50 campsites, most with tent platforms and all with picnic tables. The campsite was entirely empty so we parked the car and set up our meal at one of the picnic tables.

We no sooner start our meal when a NJSPP truck pulls up and turns on his red lights. He swaggers over and tells me that I'm breaking the law by picnicking at a picnic table in an area not designated for picnicking. Of course he said we needed to leave immediately. I assured him we wouldn't litter and would leave in a half hour. He found this unacceptable and threatened to arrest me. My tax dollars at work. So we drove home and finished our meal on the deck.

I am sure "Rambo" won't lose his job, and can almost guarantee they'll be real nasty to any hiker they find outside the AT corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    I quiver in my thrift store hiking shoes.

my hero!

Default Solution

Perhaps NJ. could learn something from the great state of Ohio. Simply stop funding your park system for 25 years,watch it deteriorate to the point where no one wants to go to them, and problem solved!

Images

Steve,
    I had a good time there. When my brother was thru hiking in 06 I met him and a crew there. The office was closed and we wanted to camp in the campground so we headed to the area and started to set up camp(about 8 or so of us) and we were going to tell the ranger we will pay for the site when he comes around. Well we didn't have a permit and he ended up driving past out site at least twice in the morning and never said a word to anyone. There were only like 2 families camping in the whole camp ground so we stuck out like a sore thumb and we hung in camp till at least 11 drinking and eating. I guess the ranger that was on duty didn't mind us being there.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tennessee went through something similiar years ago where a number of state parks were being threatened to be closed to fix the budget. But ended pissing a lot of people off, and was dropped.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Too bad. High Point had great rangers that liked hikers. Could send drops there, etc. Bathrooms were nice to have, along with water.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm doing a section hike through NJ in a few weeks and had a mail drop planned for Highpoint SP. I just got off the phone with a nice lady at the park who told me the park is slated to close on July 1st. They will accept mail drops until that time. I also will camp near the Highpoint shelter and take a side trip to monument.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post
    Tennessee went through something similiar years ago where a number of state parks were being threatened to be closed to fix the budget. But ended pissing a lot of people off, and was dropped.
    That's when Tenn. started having fees for a number of Parks to help defray the costs of upkeep and Maint. If I have to pay fees for somnething I would rather it go to Parks than many things that it goes to.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by Mr HaHa View Post
    Perhaps NJ. could learn something from the great state of Ohio. Simply stop funding your park system for 25 years,watch it deteriorate to the point where no one wants to go to them, and problem solved!
    New Jersey and Ohio seem very similar in a lot of ways despite the dramatic differences in population density. Neither seems to have any clue about tourism or providing meaningful tourist information. I suppose there's no large areas in either NJ or OH that depend on tourists to the extent there are in NY, PA, WV, etc. so it hasn't been made a statewide priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I'm doing a section hike through NJ in a few weeks and had a mail drop planned for Highpoint SP. I just got off the phone with a nice lady at the park who told me the park is slated to close on July 1st. They will accept mail drops until that time. I also will camp near the Highpoint shelter and take a side trip to monument.
    Make sure to take the trail through the white cedar swamp in the Dryden Kuser Natural Area. It's pretty cool.

Images

Default Attack of the Clown (er Clone)?

My favorite New Jersey Park Police story:

A few years ago I came home from work one night and found my wife in the driveway with a small cooler. She says that she made a picnic meal and wanted to go to High Point Park since it was such a nice day.

So we drive to Sawmill Lake which is surrounded by maybe 50 campsites, most with tent platforms and all with picnic tables. The campsite was entirely empty so we parked the car and set up our meal at one of the picnic tables.

We no sooner start our meal when a NJSPP truck pulls up and turns on his red lights. He swaggers over and tells me that I'm breaking the law by picnicking at a picnic table in an area not designated for picnicking. Of course he said we needed to leave immediately. I assured him we wouldn't litter and would leave in a half hour. He found this unacceptable and threatened to arrest me. My tax dollars at work. So we drove home and finished our meal on the deck.

I am sure "Rambo" won't lose his job, and can almost guarantee they'll be real nasty to any hiker they find outside the AT corridor.
    Was this guy carrying a high holster 9mm and lots of Rambo tattoos? If so he either has a twin or moonlights on the Ouachita trail in the Zarks.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++