WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasty Foods.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    wow, I AM German- grew up eating that all the time, with KETCHUP!! only we called it by its proper name- braunschweiger

Ive liked Ketchup mixed with hot sauces in the past however I have heard if your in a Texas resturant and ask for the ketchup you can hear a pin drop- that alot of place out that ways look down on "ruining" a great peice of steak.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

My dad carries dried milk and powdered gatorade and one day he put powdered gatorade in his coffee thinking it was the dried milk - ewww!

Images

How about Head Cheese? YUCK !

It's a great day to be alive !

Default I wouldn't eat this unless absolutely starving, but...

The way this has been in the news, bet someone here will try it:

http://www.npr.org/programs/wesat/fe...oaf/index.html

Prison Loaf
    Maryland Lockup Uses Horrid Bread Dish as Disciplinary Tool
    Listen to Scott Simon's report.

April 6, 2002 -- How do you handle a hungry con? If he ain't misbehavin', regular old, godawful prison food will do. But if he's been bad, and if he happens to be a resident of Baltimore's Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center, he might be stuck eating what the prison calls a "special management meal," and what the inmates call…. Well, this is a family public radio network.

Scott Simon prepares to sample the loaf.
    Photo: Andy Lyman, NPR

Let's just say the inmates don't like "prison loaf." And that's the whole idea. It's all part of a wider effort to "discourage negative inmate behavior," Warden Thomas Corcoran tells Scott Simon on Weekend Edition Saturday.
    Sort of a carrot-and stick approach to corrections, then. Except that the carrots in this case are finely grated and mixed with wheat bread, fake cheese, spinach, beans, raisins and other ingredients to create what Simon concludes "smells a little bit like the food they serve in the elephant cage at the National Zoo."
    But how does it taste? "Blander than bland," declares Simon, who bravely samples the product on the air.

Inmates sentenced to loaf-consumption are served the horrible stuff three times a day for about a week (each loaf weighs a pound). If they keep their noses clean, they can then go back to the relative culinary delights of regular prison fare. If not, it's back to the loaf, which Corcoran says adheres to all nutritional guidelines, and even meets the needs of most special diets.
    Does it work? Corcoran says that in the two years since the prison's behavior-modification program -- including the loaf -- was instituted, the incidence of inmate assaults on prison staff has been cut in half. "The proof is in the loaf," he says.
    If you want to judge for yourself, here's the recipe:

Special Management Meal [Nutraloaf]
    Yield - Three Loaves
    • 6 slices whole wheat bread, finely chopped
    • 4 ounces imitation cheddar cheese, finely grated
    • 4 ounces raw carrots, finely grated
    • 12 ounces spinach, canned, drained
    • 2 cups dried Great Northern Beans, soaked,
    cooked and drained
    • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 6 ounces potato flakes, dehydrated
    • 6 ounces tomato paste
    • 8 ounces powdered skim milk
    • 4 ounces raisins

Mix all ingredients in a 12-quart mixing bowl. Make sure all wet items are drained. Mix until stiff, just moist enough to spread. Form three loaves in glazed bread pans. Place loaf pans in the oven on a sheet pan filled with water, to keep the bottom of the loaves from burning. Bake at 325 degrees in a convection oven for approximately 45 minutes. The loaf will start to pull away from the sides of the bread pan when done.

Head cheese definitely beats out scrapple every time! At one of our big scout events, we had a station called "Fear Factor" where the boys would have to step up and eat some nasty mystery food. The first year they did it with scrapple. Most of the boys loved the stuff and chowed down on it. The next year they went for souse/head cheese, and the kids were gagging and spitting it out. We had one boy in our troop who was challenged by another boy. "If you eat that piece that piece that someone spit out on the ground, I'll give your patrol 10 points." So, our scout picked up the piece of rejected souse, with a piece of dried leaf attached for good measure. He ate it and earned the 10 points for his patrol. Then, as they left the area, in all seriousness, he complained about the taste of the leaf!

One day, he'll make a fine AT thru hiker, I'm sure.!

Images

triscuit, a slice of sharp cheddar, a dollop of peanut butter & a raw garlic clove on top. ahhhhh, my favorite trail snack.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Images

Default Potted meat spread

I took a bunch of teenagers backpacking one time. I bought little cans of potted meat spread and bagels for a lunch. I took the paper labels off the cans to save weight.

As they were munching their way through lunch, one of the teens asked what kind of meat they were eating since there were no labels. I answered, "I'm not sure. I can't remember if I was in the canned meat aisle or the cat food aisle when I bought those cans."

It was fun to watch about half the teens turn green and decide they'd had enough for lunch. The rest of them ate with gusto.
    "Blue sky at the top of the ridge means absolutely nothing." Chris Cameron

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    triscuit, a slice of sharp cheddar, a dollop of peanut butter & a raw garlic clove on top. ahhhhh, my favorite trail snack.
    I like all of the ingredients, but haven't tried them together. May have to give it a try.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I like all of the ingredients, but haven't tried them together. May have to give it a try.
    I like garlic too, but I'm not sure about the PB.

Come to think of it, a little garlic roasted in the fire would make a nice late night snack!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

One guy last year on the trail took a hunk of ramen unbroken, topped it with PB and honey, then sprinkled the flavor packet on top.

Eeew.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    wow, I AM German- grew up eating that all the time, with KETCHUP!! only we called it by its proper name- braunschweiger
    ketchup???? We ate it with mustard I still love it.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

When we go cod fishing, the rookie ceremony of eating a cod heart
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Default Super hot food on the Trail, like chili...

I can't stand really spicy food, but having seen plenty of people enjoying it, I know that opinions vary.

Funny related story...

TEXAS CHILI COOKOFF

NOTE: Please take time to read this slowly. If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of the third is even better.

For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili cook-off about the time the rodeo comes to town. It takes up a major portion of the parking lot at the Astrodome. The notes are from an inexperienced chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a Chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the Budweiser truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chili # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick!
    Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy s**t, what the h*ll is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chili

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili.

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting s**t-faced from all of the beer!

Chili # 4 Bubba's Black Magic

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out tastebuds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb. b***h is starting to look HOT -- just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground,adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really p*sses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chili # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I s**t myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that s**t Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my @ss with a snow cone!

Chili # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a f'ing thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava like s**t to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, its too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili #8 Tommy's Toe-Nail Curling Chili

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fellow, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chili?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lellers View Post
    We have a big Korean food market near my house, and I went there with a Korean friend of mine the other day. There are lots of "interesting" foods there, including several Durian fruits. The chip/snack aisle is very interesting, and includes lots of shrimp and cuttlefish chips. They also seem to have lots and lots of vacuum packed cooked ears of corn. I was wondering if those might be good on the trail. It's a bit heavy, but with two in a pack, that might be a nice treat. I thought the cob might even burn in a fire after it sat on the side a bit to dry out. The ramen (ramyun) selection is much tastier and varied. Oh, and packets and packets of various dried fish to chew on -- fish jerky, I call it. If you can eat the stuff, there's lots of food available to take on the trail at the local Asian market.
    Yea I tried that, I saw a packet of Candied nut meats possibly Chestnut for children. I almost puked. Still like the market though.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Come to think of it, a little garlic roasted in the fire would make a nice late night snack!
    Great idea, you could roast cloves in a little Aluminum foil and spread them on bread, bagels, etc.

Images

MS that Chili taster thing is hilarious. I've seen it before and had it saved, but lost it. I was still laughing so hard that my eyes are watering.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER7s View Post
    Ive liked Ketchup mixed with hot sauces in the past however I have heard if your in a Texas resturant and ask for the ketchup you can hear a pin drop- that alot of place out that ways look down on "ruining" a great peice of steak.
    Quote Originally Posted by d'shadow View Post
    ketchup???? We ate it with mustard I still love it.
    I lived in Pittsburgh as a child and the shadow of the Heinz factory loomed large. Ketchup seemed to go with everything.

My dad reminded me of this story:
    When my brothers & I were little, the family would go car camping in VT. One summer, my dad was making spaghetti for the whole family over the campfire. He took the cooked noodles off the fire and remembered they didn't have a colander. He decided to make one by putting foil over the dish pan. The foil was too narrow so he folded two pieces together. Then he poked holes in the foil. He dumped the spaghetti over the foil and DOH the foil broke through and...SOAPY SPAGHETTI! Of course, we had to eat it, after a little rinsing off. Forever on, we remember the night we ate soapy spaghetti as a classic moment in family camping.

Images

Default Exotica

Vietnamese have a fish sauce called Nuouc Mam that goes great on just plain steamed rice. Smelly but does it taste good!

Koreans have a type of spicy saurkraut called Kim Chi that we used to trade for with the Korean troops in "Nam". Claymores for Kim Chi. They loved Clamores, we loved Kim Chi.

The real Korean stuff is killer, but the stuff thay had in "Nam was made in California. But still delicious.

Ah, the good old days.......
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Smores.

To me they are worse than any hiking food mentioned so far.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++