WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Nasty Foods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hillwalker View Post
    Vietnamese have a fish sauce called Nuouc Mam that goes great on just plain steamed rice. Smelly but does it taste good!

Koreans have a type of spicy saurkraut called Kim Chi that we used to trade for with the Korean troops in "Nam". Claymores for Kim Chi. They loved Clamores, we loved Kim Chi.

The real Korean stuff is killer, but the stuff thay had in "Nam was made in California. But still delicious.

Ah, the good old days.......
    Kim chi is really good.

Don't ask how it's made...
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Once, on the CDT, was hiking with a group. One very shy, unassuming young man was found eating a NASTY looking dinner.

Turns out, he didn't realize it would be a dry camp, mixed all his available water as fruit punch, then proceeded to make his beef and noodle Mountain House dinner with it. He had eaten about half of it when we made him stop, and each contributed to a new dinner for him - he was short of food for this section, so didn't want to waste any.

The rest of us just couldn't stomach knowing what he was eating.

Images

I like Kim Chi too, and I know it's a fermentation thing, but I really don't think that I want to know any more. Never tried Nuouc Mam, but I have heard of it.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

delish i pour it over my jasmine rice..yummmms
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Unhappy Indian Guides

this was the 60's. camping at French Creek Pa. with the Indian Guides. Chief Halftown was there as guess speaker. my dad and uncle rock cooked breakfast. 10 or so cans of spam chopped and fried, then dozens of eggs dumped on top and scrambled. no grease drained off? i can't explain the color, or colors in that big frying pan. i ate it, but i was starving. even the chief said it was BAD
    to this day it was the worst breakfast this brave ever ate

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Kim chi is really good.

Don't ask how it's made...

Is that the fish heads and straw fermentation thing ...or is that the "fish sauce" I am thinkin of.

It is good on the right things, if you can get past the smell
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Default Nasty Food

any kind of cheese. i eat none of it

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

LW I wish I had that outlook (currently trying to do just that).

I eat cheese too much. (I mean I can eat a pound of swiss in a sitting)

Quote Originally Posted by HIKER7s View Post
    LW I wish I had that outlook (currently trying to do just that).

I eat cheese too much. (I mean I can eat a pound of swiss in a sitting)
    Try it with kimchee.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    Try it with kimchee.

then Id have to eat it outside in a breeze

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

From my experience it ALL gets nasty after a while. I drank so much Carnation Instant Breakfast in the beginning that after a couple months just the sight of the label made my throat swell.

Seriously, just about any food, whether you or other hikers like it at first, will make you blow chunks if you eat too much of it. That's one of the strongest arguments against buying all your food up front.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Cheese is one of the great pleasures of life. Cheese rules!

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    this was the 60's. camping at French Creek Pa. with the Indian Guides. Chief Halftown was there as guess speaker. my dad and uncle rock cooked breakfast. 10 or so cans of spam chopped and fried, then dozens of eggs dumped on top and scrambled. no grease drained off? i can't explain the color, or colors in that big frying pan. i ate it, but i was starving. even the chief said it was BAD
    to this day it was the worst breakfast this brave ever ate
    You actually camped with Chief Halftown! Wow! I'm so jealous! If Sally Starr were there, too, I don't know if I could stand it! What about Captain and Mrs. Noah?

Red and yellow and pink and green...

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Cheese is one of the great pleasures of life. Cheese rules!
    Oh, and Bacon... and chili. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I AM from Pittsburgh...put ketchup on it, it'll be great!

I haven't cooked Ramen in years but I eat it all the time raw on the trail. It is one of the few things on the trail to eat "crunchie". Break up the noodles while in the package, then sprinkle the seasoning packet over the noodles still in the packet. Close the packet and shake...the noodles are crunchie and tast like BBQ pretzels. NOW the horrible part! Don't do this with shrimp flavor....I learned the hard way....it tastes like you are eating a fish bowl!

I do carry and love to eat anchovie paste on the trail. I put it on crackers, raw ramen, bagels, etc. I really like it but it turns most people away.

geek

Brains N Eggs. Mmmm. Southerners sure know how to cook.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

My great-grandmother came from Naples. Though she passed away when I was 9 yrs old, I still remember her fairly well. The biggest joy in her life was seeing three great-grandsons to carry on the family name. (Of course, she would have expected me to be married by now., and with three children of my own. )

I remember my Dad taking me to visit great-grandma. She always had these (to my young pallet) strange food like salted olives, strong tasting cheese, spicy and marinated food etc. At 7 yrs old, I wanted a Happy Meal! To heck with this homemade and funny tasting food. (Yeah..I did not know any better)

As I became older, I appreciated those foods that you can't get in a most "Italian" restaurants and can only find in homes, some specialty shops and a few restaurants run by people named Sal, Gina or Tony that is short on atmosphere but long on great food. (These types of places are usually found in the basements of social clubs and are named St. Something.)

In any case, one food I tried as a young lad but have yet to try again is tripe (or trippa as my great-grandma would have said).

Call it chitlins, menudo, trippa, etc seems every ethnic group has a peasant dish that adheres to the dictum of using the "tail to snout" of an animal.

One day, Dad came from visiting great-grandma and brought some food home with him. He heated up some tripe and offered it to me. It was in a simple tomato sauce but did not look like the macaroni I usually had. I timidly took a bite. It was both mushy and rubbery. It did not taste like ravioli, it did not taste like a Happy Meal..it was yucky!

Almost 30 yrs later, I have yet to try this dish again. I make a few other peasant food dishes that came over with my great-grandparents. Pasta fazool. "Greens and beans". Fritattas. And so on. But I never have the urge to go to some of the local Hispanic grocery stores, pick up some tripe and recreate a dish that is not even liked much in Naples anymore.

Next time I visit RI, Dad promised (threatened?) to take me to one of those basement restaurants and get some tripe with me. I doubt I will want to get a happy meal, but the ravioli may still be more appealing to me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I AM from Pittsburgh...put ketchup on it, it'll be great!

I haven't cooked Ramen in years but I eat it all the time raw on the trail. It is one of the few things on the trail to eat "crunchie". Break up the noodles while in the package, then sprinkle the seasoning packet over the noodles still in the packet. Close the packet and shake...the noodles are crunchie and tast like BBQ pretzels. NOW the horrible part! Don't do this with shrimp flavor....I learned the hard way....it tastes like you are eating a fish bowl!

I do carry and love to eat anchovie paste on the trail. I put it on crackers, raw ramen, bagels, etc. I really like it but it turns most people away.

geek
    Good lord Geek!! I know I hiked around you some, but i'm soo glad i never saw the anchovie paste thing! I probably woulda blown chunks right there!!!

I have done the raw ramen thing though...I've also put peanut butter on the whole block of raw ramen and crunched away!!

pigfoot on the trail--
    pig snout in aspic (in Paris)

Images

Can't be just any ketchup - has to be Heinz. No Hunt's for this Pgh native!

Grossest thing I ever saw: someone I know was draining their macaroni, dropped it on the ground, scooped it back up, added the cheese, and ate it, leaf bits and all.
    We'll have to go out through the kitchen.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++