WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Two sips from the cup of human kindness and I'm s**t-faced! trailgoat's Avatar
    Images

Default Tarptent Rainbow Setup Questions....

Greetings!

I bought a Tarptent Rainbow about a month ago and was just able to set it up for the first time today (snow finally melted--grass finally dry). I was able to get a pretty tight pitch the first time, but there are a few details that concern me. I'm hoping some Rainbow users can help me....

1. First, what's your technique for getting the pole throught the sleeve? I followed the instructions and had a heck of a time getting it through. The yellow sleeve kept bunching up while I was pushing the pull through. This wasn't an easy thing to do. I know it's gotta get easier, but I'd hate to have it take me as long as it did today when it's either getting dark or the weather is inclement.

2. Do you stake out the four corners first and THEN slide in the pole. Or, vice versa? I put the pole in first and found it sorta awkward in staking out the corners and front and rear beak.

3. Once I did get it pitched....I unzipped the front beak and mesh and looked inside. The floor wasn't taut at all. In fact, the netting around the floor was LAYING on the ground. I climbed inside, fastened the floor to the side clips and the mesh was STILL nearly flat on the ground. Plus, the front loop by the door wasn't exactly lined-up with the clip--it was sorta off-set. What am I doing wrong? Does it have something to do with the strap that goes underneath the tent?

4. When putting the Rainbow away....do you stuff it or roll it? I sorta folded it and rolled it and then stuffed it!

I'm hoping someone will have some answers for me. I'm most concerned about the floor and the floor netting issue. I can see this being a real problem when it rains.

Otherwise, I"m blown away at the interior size of this shelter! I love it. I just need to fix these several issues!

Thanks everyone.
    Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify.

-Henry David Thoreau

1. Practice-practice practice always pushing not pulling 2. stake out corners first then use use hiking pole instead of supplied pole make pole a few inches higher than supplied pole then stretch pole guyline and stake. 3. tautlines were not taut enough. 4. lay tent down flat sorta lay the walls/roof into the bathtub until you see the black outline then fold and roll
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

i have a buddy who has one, he stakes the corners first.

i dig your name, btw.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

i do not use the trekking poles at all...i jsut stake the corners...i got rid of all the excess straps for the poles as well

if i am imagining it correctly i would say (again i do not use the hiking poles) to stake the two corners on the one side first then the other and adjust the corners accordingly to get it like you need it........n

i could send you photos when i get home tonight...i have it airing out so i could set it up before i pack it up again for this weekend.

once you have it set up tight you can use the clips on the inside of the tent to elevate the sides of the tub

I ROLL IT UP ...i roll the stakes up in my ground cover

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    2. stake out corners first then use use hiking pole instead of supplied pole make pole a few inches higher than supplied pole then stretch pole guyline and stake.

How do you use a trekking pole in place of the ridge pole? Sounds like you are confusing the Rainbow with the Contrail.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Thanks everyone for your help. Freeleo....I appreciate your offer on sending me the pics, but don't put yourself out. Just after I posted these questions, Henry called me at home and walked me through some of the problems I was having. I won't be able to try out his suggestions until this weekend, but I"m sure I'll have more luck than I did today.

Henry Shires and Tarptent. Truly the best customer service I've ever had!

I'd buy 50 shelters from this guy!

-Henry David Thoreau

If Henry Shires called you, you probably don't need any help, but if you have any more questions, re-post. You'll love your Rainbow.

Well, what great pointers did Henry Shires give you? I too have a tarptent rainbow and although I think I do OK setting it up, maybe there are tips that would make it more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    How do you use a trekking pole in place of the ridge pole? Sounds like you are confusing the Rainbow with the Contrail.
    musta not gotta enuff sleep last night
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Default Yes please, lets hear what he had to say

I have some of the same issues. (I need more practice with this Tent).

Images

I couldn't possibly summarize everything Henry said to me, but I think the most important advice was to make sure you stake the Rainbow properly. He suggested a roughly 45-degree angle from all four corners. After that--it's just a matter of playing with the tensioners until you've got a taut pitch. He says put the pole in the sleeve first and then stake out the tent. As for difficulty getting the pole in the sleeve--he suggests a little talcum powder on the pole to make it slide easier. Some of the sleeves on the Rainbow are rather "tacky" on the inside.

His explanation on the netting was fairly involved--I'd hate to give the wrong advice so I'll refrain from trying to explain that. I know what I need to do---I'll give it another shot this weekend (weather permitting) and then I'll get back to you guys!

Awesome shelter, the Rainbow. I don't mind this learning process at all--sorta fun, actually.

-Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailgoat View Post

Henry Shires and Tarptent. Truly the best customer service I've ever had!

I'd buy 50 shelters from this guy!
    I've got two and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed it. I have the Rainbow and the Rainshadow and each does it's job to perfection.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailgoat View Post
    ---I'll give it another shot this weekend (weather permitting) and then I'll get back to you guys!
    then you can try to master setting it up in a really heavy downpour

Well, don't forget the little floor tighteners at each corner on the outside of the tent to keep the floor taut.

If your sleeping pad slides on the silnylon, put some stripes of the undiluted silicone on it and maybe your floor. And a little talcum there will help, too.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've got an older model Rainbow so it's a little different from yours but here's what I would suggest:
    Put the main pole in place before staking.
    The main pole sleeve will loosen up after a time, mine slides easily but needs help getting past the strut.
    Push the pole through, don't try to pull it.
    I remove my strut for packing and stuff the tent into a stuff sack.
    The floor is designed to either be in the up position for protection against rain or in the down position for maximum ventilation. There is a small bungee cord attached to each corner that you pull out and place over the tent stake for going to the raised position. You will need to reach in from the outside of the tent and find the bungee cord and pull it out and over the stake.
    Your door is different than mine, I have Velcro patches to hold it closed. Mine has a small clip to connect both sides of the vestibule to one stake cord. A sliding (Prussic) knot adjusts to make them both tight. You'll have to play with it a few times to get the hang of it.
    I also use a small piece of Tyvek for a ground cloth, it helps to keep the bottom clean and protects it.
    Hope this helps

GA-ME 2011
    Images

By the way this is a great tent and Henry has personally answered any questions I've had. I think it says something when you call a company and the owner makes himself available to his customers. Great products and service!

++ New Posts ++