WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: windshirts?

Default windshirts?

I was lookin for a windshirt to pack about in, & I really dont know much about em. I was hoping (as always) for something on the low price side, thats stuffable. Not so big of a deal that its water PROOF, but a little water resistance woudlnt hurt anyone. Some thing a little bit cheap, a little bit water resistant... a little bit country... a little bit rock'n'roll.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

How much are you looking to spend? I just picked up the new Marmot Driclime Catalyst, runs around $100...not expensive compared to most jackets, but might be in your mind.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

I was going to say, just get a light shell jacket. Just some under armor would probably do it to. I usually wear full length under armor if it's real bad.
    http://www.alphabluetech.com/kjhanlon
    Enjoy it while it's wild. Soon enough we'll be hiking indoors.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Another thing that works well is just a simple nylon button up shirt. I carried one the entire length of the trail in 2003 - - in fact I have it on in the picutre below my screen name here on WB. They block wind, are easy to take on and off, are lightweight and dry fast if they get wet.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I have a Marmot something or other that I really like. Found it on sale at the end of the season for around $30. It's very warm for being so light. Soft and comfy too. Mine doesn't have pockets which is the only drawback.

As far as water resistant, it's pretty hard to soak the thing. In a light drizzle, there's no worry at all about it becoming wet. The rain just shakes off. I've worn it in downpours and stayed dry; the outside held up pretty well for a while, but eventually got wet. The inside layer never did though. And the outside dries really fast if it does get wet.

Already got a few holes in it though. One from an ember that melted right through and the other I think is a snag.

I hadn't ever considered one of their wind shirts until I found it on sale. Knowing how much I like it, now I'd gladly pay full price for one in the future.

I have one from LLBean that I got for about #30. I don't think they make 'em any more, though. Anyway, it's extremely light. I don't much wear it in rain (I also carry a rain jacket), but I like it a lot for evening wear. I tend to get chilled when I stop walking.

look in a thrift store, there's always all sorts of synthetic workout wear, it might have a 'charity 5k logo' or something, but who cares?

I had one somebody gave me that they got in a sponsored race. It said "beano windbreaker".

I like the Marmot DriClim windshirts so much that I have two of them. They get a lot of use other than backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    I like the Marmot DriClim windshirts so much that I have two of them. They get a lot of use other than backpacking.
    As soon as they get pit zips, I'm buying one.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I have a Marmot DriClim, and I love it. The only drawback is that it's somewhat insulated (the fuzzy stuff on the inside), so it can be kind of hot to hike in unless it's quite cool/breezy. It breathes terrificly, but for future hikes, I'm thinking of getting a windshirt that's just a shell, like the Patagonia Houdini, Marmot Ion, etc. Those only weight 3-4 oz. A light shell plus a medium-weight poly shirt would make a really versatile layering system.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I had one somebody gave me that they got in a sponsored race. It said "beano windbreaker".
    i've got one that reads 'pomoco group running crab half marathon & 5k'... has a goofy little crab and cost a whole $1.99

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    I have a Marmot DriClim, and I love it. The only drawback is that it's somewhat insulated (the fuzzy stuff on the inside), so it can be kind of hot to hike in unless it's quite cool/breezy. It breathes terrificly, but for future hikes, I'm thinking of getting a windshirt that's just a shell, like the Patagonia Houdini, Marmot Ion, etc. Those only weight 3-4 oz. A light shell plus a medium-weight poly shirt would make a really versatile layering system.
    Yeah, the fuzzy stuff (DriClime material) is great in the winter and when in a downpour if the outer layer gets wet, it keeps it from sticking to your skin and still provides warmth, but it is a bit hot in warmer weather. Without that fuzzy layer though, it wouldn't be a DriClime.

Images

Try looking at bicycle tops...some are insulated in the front torso area and light on the back...perfect for hiking w/a pack...I have one it's a Louis Garneau Drytex3000..it's like fleece type material in the front torso area and light airy material on the back...last but not least...rip apart two shirts and sew parts together for one...w/help if need be..
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

The "windshirt" tree has a lot of branches these days, so I'm not real sure what you're asking about. 10 yrs ago, when you said "windshirt" - everyone pretty much assumed you were talking about something like a Marmot DriClime product (and similar lined pieces) ..... these days, that term includes all kinds of unlined pieces that are referred to as "windshirts", as well .... the ultralight stuff like the Patagonia Houdini, Montbell Wind Jacket, Golite Wisp, etc - generally weigh less than 4-5 ounces and can fit in your pocket. When you jump to the Lightweight stuff, say 6-10 ounce pieces, there is LOTS to choose from .... again from the major brands, plus a host of stuff made popular brands like Lands End, LL Bean, etc. Bike/cycling gear often times does double duty for hiking/backpacking. I own a few tops in each category, and I find myself wearing the UL stuff the most - specifically, a Patagonia Houdini (FullZip) and a slightly older Patagonia pullover which was called a Dragonfly. Good luck .... there's lots to choose from!

I love my Marmot...very, very versatile.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I love my Marmot...very, very versatile.

geek
    i believe that is considered 'unnatural' in many states...

I also love my Marmot Driclime and bought two of them I think they breathe quite well without pit zips. The mesh on the arm pits works very well. It is clearly my favorite piece of hiking clothing, including winter hikes in NH, VT and ME. They are also extremely durable.

Marty

I have 4 marmot driclime windshirts! I wear them daily when it's not summer out. I sleep in them sometimes.

A word about the marmot driclime windshirts - there are differant designs, the "origional" windshirt is not the same as the later varieties. The mens and womens differ considerably as well. I like the origional one when I am sleeping in it or wearing it in a bag because it fits closer and seems lighter. I like the other model for when its' a little cooler.

The origional driclime windshirt can be had under 40 bucks now, I think campmor has it on sale as well as some other places.

my boyfriend used to have a job doing valet parking. they gave him a nylon rain jacket that I now use for backpacking! waterproof, weighs 5oz and cost $0. the only downside is it has a "Royal Parking" logo instead of "The North Face."

it's not exactly what you're looking for, but you really can't beat that price

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++