WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: windshirts?

Images

No bead-up?

Spray that thing with something.

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    Looking good never takes a day off!

Is that in style?

On a different note: I do like my driclime, I'm wearing it today since it might rain, but it can get hot on the trail. In cool windy weather it was never a problem, but when I was in AZ this March I found that I was constantly taking) whereas my friend in wool was fine until temps would climb in between snows.

Also, with the nylon shells, watch out for briars, they can be a pain in the arse if you're wearing the shell (they are quite good at snagging and poking holes in your windshirt).

If I were to do it again, I'd probably get two windshirts, another driclime (or similar) and something non-insulated (ion or equivalent). I like the simplicity of just having the driclime for the cooler conditions, but if you generate a lot of heat like me while walking, then its good to have the option of just a shell for the warmer months

JAK,
    I must have read 100 posts by you on various forums talking about your "wool sweater" but I'm still not entirely sure I know what you mean. How heavy is it? Got a photo? Anything that I might call a "sweater" is heavier than what I'd wear next to skin.

Images

i'm convinced jak is actually a sheep

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    i'm convinced jak is actually a sheep

It would explain a lot of things, for instance, except for Smart Wool, I don't like any wool right next to my skin. He also doesn't know what Smart Wool is. So that would explain that too. (I hope Jak takes this with the good humor it is given in. )

--des

Default Just get a shell

Quote Originally Posted by X-LinkedHiker View Post
    I was going to say, just get a light shell jacket. Just some under armor would probably do it to. I usually wear full length under armor if it's real bad.
    Agree with X-Linked Hiker. Just get a waterproof shell like the OR Celestial jacket made from Goretex packlite. One article of clothing, multiple functions.
    I own a windshirt but don't take it anymore. It's redundant.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by earlylight View Post
    Agree with X-Linked Hiker. Just get a waterproof shell like the OR Celestial jacket made from Goretex packlite. One article of clothing, multiple functions.
    I own a windshirt but don't take it anymore. It's redundant.
    How does the Celestial compare to the Marmot Precip (http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR...cket-Mens.html)?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    How does the Celestial compare to the Marmot Precip (http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR...cket-Mens.html)?

Personally, I couldn't see myself hiking in a shell without pit zips, it would be like walking in a salty sauna

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

The Celestial is lighter weight and has some nifty features: campaign pockets out front that you can get to easily and pit zips that unzip all the way down like a poncho. I had a precip once, but returned it.

If you like the Marmot DriClime, check out the EMS Zephyr (on sale now for $65!) I have the original version, called the Windshear. I couldn't live without it. One of my best peices of gear EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    I had one somebody gave me that they got in a sponsored race. It said "beano windbreaker".
    Better paint over that; it has the makings of a distinctive trail name.

I was looking at getting the Go-Lite wisp. What are your guys opinions on that jacket?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I was looking at getting the Go-Lite wisp. What are your guys opinions on that jacket?
    The GoLite Ether is a good wind jacket.Same as the wisp but with hood and can handle some rain.

Images

Default If you want real light AND cheap

If you want real cheap... Go Tyvek. Lots of distributors, here's one:
    http://www.disposable-garments.com/s...le_shells.html
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    The GoLite Ether is a good wind jacket.Same as the wisp but with hood and can handle some rain.
    Yea, I was just looking at the Ether. I didnt realize it was only an oz heavier and came with a hood... definitely worth it.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

I agree with the rain jacket in double duty & used as a windshirt. Check out Patagonia.com - Web Specials section. They have their 13 oz rain jacket- in a not bad muted green color for $59. In Grey or red for $74 - both regularly $149 or so.
    I was very disappointed in my Marmot jacket on my thru last year - it absorbed a lot of water & took forever to dry out & have replaced it with this one.

I love my Marmot DriClimb too....And it's not unnatural. That's what marmot's are for!

-

I use the hood on the windshirt like a thermostat up and down a hundred times a day the Golite is super light but wore through small holes very quickly I have not used the marmot yet but it feels much sturdier for 1.5-2oz more

I have one of these:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Pro...&cdf=TopSeller

.....only in men's. Very light and compressible. Moderately rainproof. It keeps a drizzle off. Is completely windproof.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

For rain shell look at the NF DIAD good product @ 8oz.Can get new off ebay for $90.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++