WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default 100 Miles defined

I've been wondering whether everyone reading this thread realizes the "100 Mile Wilderness" ordinarily means the portion of the AT between Monson and Abol Bridge.

Not far north of Abol Bridge, the AT enters Baxter State Park, open only for day-use in winter except to well-prepared groups who must meet strict requirements before being granted permission. Campgrounds open before the trails on Katahdin, which are not likely to open until sometime in June.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pjrudy22 View Post
    In regards to the streams, how difficult are the fords. I know we should expect higher water due to the snow melt but according to the maps we don't have to cross anyhting to big...

There were some good crossings even in September! Those that say streams - ford, you do need to ford.

Big Wilson Creek is a major one.
    West Branch of the PLeasant River - another one.
    But these crossings were September.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Yes I do meant the 100 Mile Wilderness of the AT. We are hiking Millinocket to Monson. Does anyones reports change with this new information?

Images

Just curious, why are you so set upon May? It's one of the most scenic portions of the AT and you'd likely enjoy it more when the treadway has dried and the streams aren't as high. It would be a far better hike in August, September or early October.

It's also a long way to travel from Pennsylvania to hike only 10 days. You'd spend more time hiking and have more money in your pocket when you are done by hiking nearer home. It's your business, but I know I consider such things when making plans.

I think the trails will be maintained enough for you guys to have a very successful hike....I hiked the first 25 miles or so of this in mid-Nov.....the weather was chilly but not unbearable and few flies.....

Shades: everyone knows if you want a man's trail you come to Maine....nothing spectacular in PA

This is the only 10-14 days we have off.....between grad school and work this was the only week all of us could get off and not run into any problems. Why Maine? I have never hiked anything North of PA. Thought we would change it up a bit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey9457 View Post
    Don't you think that snow on the ground would probably mean that it's still too cold for black flies though? And maybe black fly season will be pushed later?
    Snow in shaded woods. When the ice scraper and the huge gortex gloves come out of the truck, bug spray goes in.

We have had several light bug years. I wonder if this one will be a doozer.

Always plan for the bugs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jtullift View Post
    Shades: everyone knows if you want a man's trail you come to Maine....nothing spectacular in PA
    Another 1-poster who likely knows nothing about me and hasn't hiked enough in Pennsylvania to know anything about it. I'm unmoved and smell bait.

That was a silly comment for sure.

Images

Crap! I've been stomping around Maine looking for a ladies trail.

Images

Did you see mindi's pics? I think we missed them last year in Georgia.

Images

This is the only 10-14 days we have off.....between grad school and work this was the only week all of us could get off and not run into any problems. Why Maine? I have never hiked anything North of PA. Thought we would change it up a bit.
    I understand the draw, but May is not September. You are talking about a misadventure, rather than a good time. Save it for September. When you go, climb Katahdin with your friends too. It's silly to travel that far and deny yourself the opportunity.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    ...Always plan for the bugs.
    'cause they never disappoint. Can't say I truly understood black fly season until moving up here. I mean, I thought how bad could they really be? Just a few little old gnats, right? Not like you'd choke on them with every breath or have dozens of itching, oozing, open sores from getting bit.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

This is the only 10-14 days we have off.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I understand the draw, but May is not September.
    You might consider travelling in the opposite direction, hiking off the beaten path and experiencing an Appalachian spring as you have never known it.

Images

I was up to Monson yesterday. There was about 3 feet of snow in the woods and much more than that along the roadside. There was a pretty good snowfall up there last Friday night.

On the lakes there is 3 feet of ice and the ice was wet on the suface but quite safe otherwise.

As far as snow cover goes there is almost continuous snow cover starting about 40 highway miles due south of Monson. Basically north of St Albans and Skowhegan

It may be a late spring as far as hiking goes and interesting floodwise if we get a lot of rain in April. There are still great snowmobiling conditions north of Monson.

Images

If you like my idea, I suggest starting another thread. Request a 10-day hike where you can see native wildflowers and birds.

The best way to spend your 2 weeks might not even be on the AT. It could involve day-hiking and hanging out with your friends at a cabin somewhere instead. Just an idea. What you do with it is up to you.

Images

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text

Tropical!

I have not put away the shovels, but am getting closer.

If I were in PA, I would not drive this far to hike. In May or most other months.

Course, I got my roadtripitis out of my system long ago.

Three weeks from now, you can decide to go to a more civilized place, if you want. If you have never been north, the mud is different. Peat muck. Not clay. Like walking in beef stew.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead;588521...
    If you have never been north, the mud is different. Peat muck. Not clay. Like walking in beef stew.
    More slidery as well. Not as tasty though. And if it's wicked weht, it's mah alike chowdah, ayah.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    I was up to Monson yesterday. There was about 3 feet of snow in the woods and much more than that along the roadside. There was a pretty good snowfall up there last Friday night.

On the lakes there is 3 feet of ice and the ice was wet on the suface but quite safe otherwise.

As far as snow cover goes there is almost continuous snow cover starting about 40 highway miles due south of Monson. Basically north of St Albans and Skowhegan

It may be a late spring as far as hiking goes and interesting floodwise if we get a lot of rain in April. There are still great snowmobiling conditions north of Monson.
    I would definitely bring snow shoes for early May -- and probably all month this year.

But spring snow is not ideal snowshoeing. It's wet and heavy and tends not to have a bottom under it. You'll step on what looks like solid snow, but it lets you drop down a foot or more because water has run through it and washed out the base.

Anything is possible, but don't expect any big mile days. I've been exhausted after three miles some springs.

Weary

This may not answer your questions; however, I have some experience with this section of the trail and will offer you some insight. Most people think that the "100 Mile Wilderness" is not a true wilderness at all. Part of the reason for this is because the majorty of hikers tackle this section during peak hiking season. I have hike the wilderness in late April/early May and let me tell you, it was pure wilderness. This is going to be a difficult adventure, but you will have the rare ability to see the trail for what it is suppose to be. Don't buy into what other people tell you about the trail. I can gaurantee that most people have never done this in early May and feel as though they need to give you information based off of what they have heard. Unless your a SOBO hike, please don't take offense to this. My advice for you is to make sure you have a plan and stick to it. The snow will slow you down a great deal so plan for that accordingly. The most difficultly you will face is staying dry with the many streams/brooks.

In closing, when your on the trail don't forget to take a step back and breathe in the fresh air. Look around and see uninterrupted nature at its finest. Don't make this into work. For the time of year, you are about to have the experience of a life time. Enjoy!!
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~John Muir

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++