WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Tips left at motels

A lot of people don't know it, but a large part of the income of housekeepers at motels comes from tips; they are paid very low wages other than tips. Traditionally, a tips of $1 per person in the room per day is left for the housekeeper, and more if the room is a mess.

It's a good thing to do.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I had an arguement with a project manager on that one time. I always tip the housekeepers and had to convince her that the company should reimburse me, since I do it when I'm traveling on personal trips, too.
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

$1.00 is low. $3.00 to $5.00 is more in line for one person, and if you're going to stuff four people in a room with corresponding mess it should be more.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/07/bu...=1&oref=slogin

Images

being in service business for 25 years i tip $5 per day

Images

Well a great find ty for the search BE POLITE TAKE CARE OFF OURSELFS

Images

A nice reminder Weasel. While staying out of town on business I usually stay at Residence Inns or other efficiency type hotels. I'll ususally leave $25 a week as generally housekeeping tends to straighten up the kitchen area as well even though they aren't supposed/obligated to. I was on a 5 month job in Ohio in 2007 and the Russian housekeeping girl kept my room absolutely spotless after the first week's tip, plus I got a free room upgrade almost immediately after. Can't help but think leaving a good tip didn't play into getting the upgrade.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Can't help but think leaving a good tip didn't play into getting the upgrade.
    Doing well by doing good.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

I noticed most places don't leave envelopes any more. No excuse not to tip but they were a friendly reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I noticed most places don't leave envelopes any more. No excuse not to tip but they were a friendly reminder.
    Don't churches still have them? They used to send a whole box every year, around Christmas.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    A lot of people don't know it, but a large part of the income of housekeepers at motels comes from tips; they are paid very low wages other than tips. ...
    You are absolutely right. I didn't know for many years that tips were "expected" for motel staff.

This is particularly true on a one-night stay, where the maid doesn't actual give you any service. At least, not like a waiter in a restaurant, who is taking care of you all through the meal. In cases of a one-night stay, frankly the motel should pay a fair wage.

Still, once I learned "better," I started leaving tips even on one-night stays. However, I still have no idea if the tip is based on the night, the number of people, or the room charge (like tipping in a restaurant).

It isn't this way, but in a perfect world, any tip would be only for extraordinary service. The wages paid would cover all ordinary service.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

i always leave $5, and i clean up bc i have ocd

I never knew that and feel so bad for not doing so. I must admit that I have wondered if it would be appropriate to leave a tip but I never have. Although I seldom stay in hotels, I will leave generous tips from now on when I do. I have never seen a tip envelope.
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Images

For any who think I'm cheap, I used $1 here because thrus are sort of at the low end of the finance ladder, and I don't want people to think it's too deep a reach into their pockets. If there are 4 people in a room, that would mean $4, and, as I said, if you really leave a room murky, more is better.

I view this as part of a room cost, frankly, not as a tip. And I've NOT left it if the room wasn't particularly clean when I got it (at least, if it should have been...some motels are so far down the quality list that cleaning isn't possible!), and a bit more if there was something special about it, such as turned down bed or a mint left by the housekeeper, or something really nice.

Things like this help tell people that backpackers may look like trash, but they don't act like it. Think of it this way: You're making the 'keeper happier for the people who come after you, and you're getting the benefit of it from the people ahead of you.

TW

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

This is one of the better threads on WB of late.

I've always left tips for motel housekeepers, unless the room was so bad upon my arrival that I questioned if they even changed the sheets. If I'm solo, about $3 per night; if with others, I encourage them to leave at least $2 each. Plus any spare silver, which if I'm hiking I don't want anyway. More if it's warranted by the cleanliness or extra service.

Staying at Shaw's opened my eyes to how I could be as beautiful as the good people I meet. I always leave at leat 5$ as hostels and as I too have a smidge of ocd I always usually even make up my bed even though I know it's going to be changed anyway. It's good to be good to those folk.
    If all else fails I leave these tips . . .
    Never pet a burning dog.
    Never swallow anything bigger than your head.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Staying at Shaw's opened my eyes to how I could be as beautiful as the good people I meet. I always leave at leat 5$ as hostels and as I too have a smidge of ocd I always usually even make up my bed even though I know it's going to be changed anyway. It's good to be good to those folk.
    If all else fails I leave these tips . . .
    Never pet a burning dog.
    Never swallow anything bigger than your head.
    If you want to be nice and you know (hope?) they're going to change the sheets, you could strip the bed instead of making it back up!

Journal Entries
    Images

Weasel which state is this?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Weasel which state is this?
    Huh?

I try to leave tips in every state, and outside the country. Is that what you're asking?

TW

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    If you want to be nice and you know (hope?) they're going to change the sheets, you could strip the bed instead of making it back up!
    Well, yeah. . . there's perfect logic there for sure. . . ocd doesn't always adhere to perfect logic, although I always try to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++