WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Need an interview with experienced hiker

Hello WhiteBlaze Community,

I am writing a documentary script for a course I am taking here at college, and my chosen topic is the Appalachian Trail, since I have decided to hike a section of it this summer. While this script will likely never be produced, part of the requirement is that I interview someone who is knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, and so I figure here is a good place to look.

I'm looking for someone who has hiked the trail several times and has at least a decent understanding of the history and conservation efforts of the trail. Please only respond if you are experienced with the AT, but you certainly don't have to be a master on the subject as I've done some research myself and you would not be the only source of information. It would be an e-mail interview consisting of 15-20 questions and I would need the responses- at the very latest - by the 21st of April. I assure you it will not be anything too difficult...many of the questions will simply be about why you hiked and what you got out of your experience, but I would like more than one sentence responses.

If you have any questions or, of course, if you are interested in doing this, let me know.

Thank you very much, and I hope someone would like to help me out here, it would be very much appreciated!

Images

Well - If you don't have to be a master on the subject, there should be plenty of people here who can help.
    It's a great day to be alive !

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Calling Jack. Warren. And of course, LW.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

not interested

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Calling Jack. Warren. And of course, LW.
    One's not interested. Another can't grasp some of the most basic trail subjects, e.g. hiker ethics (e.g., not stealing or trespassing). That leaves Jack.

BTW, if you'll make it a phone interview., bet you'll have lots more takers. (Record and transcribe later.)

Really? I would have thought that e-mail would be preferable as you can do it anytime you want...but I do see the merits of a phone interview and if anyone would prefer that I am open to do it over the phone as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jack is in Franklin at one of Ron's places and he was who I thought of immediately.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Jack's who popped into my head.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Jack's who popped into my head.

Kirby
    He popped into your head? I thought he was in Franklin at one of Ron's places

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll volunteer if you're interested in a slightly different perspective from a long-time section hiker. E-mail preferred.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

I've been section hiking since 2003 if that counts for anything. I've only done 700 miles so far, but hope to have half the trail finished by the end of this summer. Maybe you could do a comparison/contrast in the differences b/w section and thru hikers. PM or email if I can help.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I would be willing to be interviewed.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default How about Stumpknocker?

He's hard to get ahold of because he's always out hiking or biking, but I suggest Stumpknocker. His latest journal (one of many on TrailJournals.com) has his e-mail address. I'm sure he'd be a great interview, especially on the subject of food.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    He's hard to get ahold of because he's always out hiking or biking, but I suggest Stumpknocker. His latest journal (one of many on TrailJournals.com) has his e-mail address. I'm sure he'd be a great interview, especially on the subject of food.
    Excellent suggestion.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Stumpknocker would be a great one, sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Why not Heald or Squeaky, also?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sidereal View Post

I am writing a documentary script for a course I am taking here at college, and my chosen topic is the Appalachian Trail, since I have decided to hike a section of it this summer. While this script will likely never be produced, part of the requirement is that I interview someone who is knowledgeable and experienced on the subject, and so I figure here is a good place to look.

I'm looking for someone who has hiked the trail several times and has at least a decent understanding of the history and conservation efforts of the trail. Please only respond if you are experienced with the AT, but you certainly don't have to be a master on the subject as I've done some research myself and you would not be the only source of information. It would be an e-mail interview consisting of 15-20 questions and I would need the responses- at the very latest - by the 21st of April. I assure you it will not be anything too difficult...many of the questions will simply be about why you hiked and what you got out of your experience, but I would like more than one sentence responses.

If you have any questions or, of course, if you are interested in doing this, let me know.

Thank you very much, and I hope someone would like to help me out here, it would be very much appreciated!
    What do you mean by "hiking the trail several times?" Many have done many section hikes. Very few have hiked all the trail several times." Nor, if you are looking for a typical AT experience, are those your best source.

It certainly would make a great study if you could find why some give up the ordinary processes of life and just walk 2,000 miles again and again. I would certainly read or watch an account of why. I would do it myself, had I not more important things to do for and about the trail.

But equally interesting to at least a few, might be to hear from those who dream of hiking, attempt it, and either succeed or fail.

Weary GA-ME 1993. www.matlt.org

Not much of a hiker but I've probably read more books on the the subject than most, plus ++++ I know Squeaky AND Heald. Give me a call, let's chat.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

On the history and conservation end - Weary is a great resource. If you mean has hiker long portions of the trail several times in your criteria for hiking experience, Weary is is your man.

If you are looking more for a typical hiker's point of view, I would suggest interviewing a mother and son team who thru-hiker last year - Blissful and Paul Bunyan. Really nice, down-to-earth people who had a blast doing this.

If you want someone who has thru-hiked the trail multiple times, Jack Tarlin is likely the best choice (LW has already said no).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sidereal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Not much of a hiker but I've probably read more books on the the subject than most, plus ++++ I know Squeaky AND Heald. Give me a call, let's chat.
    Nean would be a good interview, IMO.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++