WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain gear/ Packa

has anyone ever used the Packa before because i have heard it was great. Also i seen someone hiking in it in the rain today and it looked like it was working very good and is it a good pillow. Im probably going to buy it but i just wanted a little more info. Any info would be good.

Images

check the gear forums. there was a good thread about em a week or 2 ago. the guy who owns/makes the packas was participating in the thread.

The people that use them seem to like them.

I've never used one and never will. Separate rain coat and pack cover seems to make a whole lot more sense to me.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbiggz66 View Post
    has anyone ever used the Packa before because i have heard it was great. Also i seen someone hiking in it in the rain today and it looked like it was working very good and is it a good pillow. Im probably going to buy it but i just wanted a little more info. Any info would be good.
    Like a poncho, the Packa keeps your pack shoulder straps dry, and keeps the pack from getting wet by seepage and rain funnng down between your back and the pack. It also prvents the rubbing of shoulder straps on your rain jacket.

You can wear it just like an pack cover, and it rain starts, put it on you without removing the pack from your back.

I like mine. I guess it would make a nice pillow. Never thought of it.
    Frosty

Youngin' on trail. HeartoftheTrail's Avatar

Sounds like something I could use

price check anyone?

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeartoftheTrail View Post
    Sounds like something I could use

price check anyone?
    He sells them on ebay occasionally. I think I got mine for $86 or so.

Youngin' on trail. HeartoftheTrail's Avatar

Thanks guys. I'm looking into it now.
    Go all the way there, come half way back.

Images

http://www.thepacka.com/

When I saw someone wearing one of these I was impressed. It's a great idea and design. There are a number of different ways it can be worn and the bottom extends for added coverage. Being silnylon keeps the weight low and the pit zips would vent but I wonder how clammy it would get. Silnylon isn't known for breathability.

Default packa info

What I like about it is that you can slip in and out of it very easily. It just hangs on your pack when not in use (sunny not windy side of mt.) and when you come around the corner and the wind/rain pickup, you just slip back into the packa-no need to stop and put a jacket back on. It can get clamie (sil nylon) but has large pit zips and draw strings on the bottom and arms. If you do a search on packa you will get all kinds of hits and info. ie "I use a Packa so the tubing is inside and does not freeze."
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=packa

long thread 125 hits all about the packa

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sear...archid=3583129

and it is designed with a pocket that makes it into a pillow

I just put up a small review on this product in the gear review section. Check it out.

I keep trying to convince myself that the cost is worth it but I hiked with Jelly Bean that loved hers............

Images

I only use mine on dayhikes and overnights, but I love it. Easy to take breaks during the day underneath it. Just pull your arms out, pull your pack off, and you are under a "tarp" for a snack break. Only thing I might do different if you really want to stay dry is to have rain pants as well, as you will get wet from the thighs down.
    Greg P.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Only thing I might do different if you really want to stay dry is to have rain pants as well, as you will get wet from the thighs down.
    Consider going with very lightweight (2.4 oz) DWR wind pants instead of fully water repellent rain pants. I think you'll find that they'll withstand most showers quite well and are much more breathable.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by traceyam View Post
    $110 well-spent dollars. 11 oz total for a rain jacket, wind jacket, and pack cover. It has lots of thoughtful touches like a brim in the hood to keep rain out of your eyes and a flap in the back so rain doesn't drip off your pack onto your hinder!
    that almost beats my 75% for a 12 oz rain poncho, tarp shelter, and pack cover. almost...

++ New Posts ++