WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default GoLite Pinnacle/Quest Weight Limits?

Haven't been here in a LOOOOONG time... bought a house, and year-round remodeling has kept me off the trails. No more!

I'm upgrading (lightening) my load a piece at a time, and I've come to pack replacement time. Upon doing research, I decided on the Osprey Atmos 65 which I have on backorder at REI.

However, the Golite Pinnacle & Quest both seriously interest me, but I can't find any info on anybody carrying more than 22 or so lbs in them...

My total pack weight, with water & food, is around 35 lbs... certainly not ultralight. But I'm posting in this forum because the packs mentioned are considered UL packs. I have a feeling the Atmos 65 will handle 35 lbs no problem (from what I've read), and the Quest might be able to as well, but the frameless Pinnacle?

Basically, I'm looking for something in the 4000-4500 range with at least 1 external pocket (front or top), 2 would be even better.

Oh- the pack I'm coming from? An LL Bean Ridge Runner 4000. Actually a pretty cool pack, has served me well, but it's faded & beat up, and weighs 5 lbs 9 oz. I've already lightened my tent & bag, pack is next.

Is the Gust frameless?

Images

Check out this page on the Go Lite web site http://www.golite.com/images/sizing/packs.gif

Thanks for that Golite link! I never would have thought to look under sizing info for "comfortable load" info.

Default Quest

I purchased the Quest and made a couple of mods to it. I am a big guy so I had to Extend the shoulder strap adjusters. I also made a waist belt extender. The compresion straps that golite claims can be used to stap stuff to the back of the pack are to short when the pack is loaded. So i made extenders that clip in. All the clips that I needed were suplied by go-lite at no charge. They sent me the wrong buckles the first time. When I called they sent me the correct ones at no charge and said keep the old ones. Great customer service. I like the pack it can hold the 40lb. you ask about. I like the big external zipper pocket. I strap my tent to the back of the pack using the wrap around compresion straps with the extenders. I have used the pack loaded for shake down hikes. I am doing 80mi. next week and can fill you in then if you are still interested.
    The Big J

Great info. I'm right now going between a Pinnacle w/sleeping pad as frame, or the Quest. Both seem to hold my weight class, both seem big enuff, and the Pinnacle is 2 lbs lighter...

Maybe I should order both, fill them up with MY gear, and send one back. That really is the only way to know. And I've still got that Atmos on backorder, but Lord knows when it'll actually get here...

Frameless has always "scared" me a little, I'll never be a "true" UL'er, but if my Thermarest, folded, could make a good back panel for the Pinnacle, I'd be killing 2 birds with one stone AND saving weight besides. Hmm...

I use a big agnes inflatable pad, so frameless is not an option for me. The two cons I forgot to mention were the quest side mesh pockets are a little short, a things could fall out if you bend down. I just teather my stuff in the side pockets. the other thing is wish the bag gave you the option to hang your tent from the bottom of the pack. I am trying to modify this. with some bungee. I do like the pack out of the box, but I am trying to make my perfect pack and it is getting close.
    The Big J

With my current pack (which is 4000 cu.in., but alot of that space is in external pockets), I lash my pad to the bottom. I'd rather have EVERYTHING inside the pack, which is why using my pad as a framesheet in the Pinnacle is a very attractive option... as long as the rest of my gear FITS after I put the pad in. I guess I won't know until I actually try. I do compress my bag with a compression sack, but my tent (REI 1/4 Dome UL) does take up some space...

I regularly carry at least 35 lbs in my Quest with no discomfort and I think it could probably remain that way with another 5 lbs or so for me at least. Of course I am 6'1", 250 too. For me, it is stable and wears well.

Eman do you get your tent inside the bag, or do you strap it on the out side. I am trying to figure out a way to stap it to the bottm of the pack using the axe loops. The only thing is it will swing as i walk any suggestions
    The Big J

could you maybe use adjustable straps (that function like compression straps: you pull them tighter & they stay tight), from the bootom loops up thru the side compression straps? It would sort of like a "V" holding your tent to the bottom.

I've used bungees before, but was never really satisfied with their ability to secure a load. I liked the adjustable straps much better. Less bouncing, more secure.

Im thruhiking with a Golite Pinnacle. Things to look at, I am carrying about 3-35 pounds comfortably. Maybe reinforce the wastebelt with some lite foam, not much padding. Also, the chest strap buckle falls off so maybe buy a replacement. I love the pack, it fits great and hold my gear nicely. Its all how you pack it also that makes it so comfortable. There are alot of Ospreys out here right now and I hear great things about them.

I line the whole pack with a garbage bag. I put a small stuff sack with my extra clothing in first. Depending on mood and timing I guess, I stuff my BA bag in around that and put the folded pad on top of that. Sometimes, I just leave the pad in the bag and stuff the whole thing in like that but I've pretty much found it's easier to separate the two. I stuff my fly and tent in on top of that. If it's damp, I fold the garbage bag over first to keep the rest of my stuff dry. I don't use stuff sacks for either the bag or the tent. Bearikade or Ursack on top with enough room to pack whatever is left (i.e., camp shoes, water filter) on either side. Pack munchies, map, whistle, in the waist belt pockets, first aid and accessories (spare batteries, headlamp, firestarter, etc) in the main outside pocket, poles/stakes and a saw I have started carrying in a side pocket, strapped to the side. TP down in one of the side pockets. Water bladder goes in the top pocket (I keep a lightweight silnylon tarp in the water pocket for emergencies...dumb maybe for the extra weight I guess).
    Again, depending on mood and time, might make small changes to this but the basics are the same every time. I've carried my stuff this way in all my packs but so far this Quest is by far the most comfortable.
    Only reason I give this much detail is to show how much crap I stuff in this pack. And I usually still end up with room here and there. Last few years though, I've learned that just because I have that space don't mean I gots to fill it. Just tighten up the cinch straps and go with it.

Images

I used a Golite Pinnacle for my 07 thru hike and it worked great. The most weight I had at one time was 31 pounds. My normal weight was in the low 20's. The pack held up very well. I would recommend a garbage gab inside as a pack liner. With no frame a pack cover helped but was not really effective.

The golite quest is also a great pack, and would carry heavier loads more comfortably.

Nice part about getting a light frameless pack it that is forces you to keep your weight down. The lighter the better as far as I am concerned.

Another thing you can do to lighten your pack is to cut off everything you do not use. I was able to shed a few ounces from my Pinnacle. And when you talking about a pack that only weighs 25 ounces to start a few ounces is pretty good.
    Pootz 07

Default frameless

I am using a G4 frameless pack. It deffinately forces you to keep your weight down. And you really have to learn how to pack your frameless pack to make it carry well with over 20 lbs., based on my experiece.

A few tips to start:
    Use your chairsling or tent poles or add arrow shafts inside the inflatable pad.

Pack everything loose with heavy stuff in the outside pockets (water, non woven items like water filter, cramp ons). Then use compression system to make it all rigid. By packing the heavy stuff on the outside, you minimize the sag factor on your butt. The heavy stuff causes the inside column of compressed clothes to crumble if placed on top.

If the designers made the mistake of putting the compression system over the outside pockets, as they tend to do, see if you can resew it. It's kind of stupid if you ask me.

Get used to not having load lifters. If you can make your pack stiff enough, you won't miss them until the weights get over 30 lbs.

Keep your carry weight as low as possible and the frameless pack can serve you well and save a few lbs, while forcing you to save a few more.

I hike with 11 lb. base weight, and try to keep my max weight for a trip under 20.

Bumping for a little extra info...

seems the Pinnacle is not very water-resistant, I've read a couple of reviews of pack contents getting soaked? (yes, I can & sometimes do bag the pack contents, and/or use a pack cover, but more waterproofing is always better)

by contrast, the Quest is lauded as "almost waterproof" by BackpackingLight.com Apparently the Quest uses the same pu-coated nylon the Pinnacle does, but also has a DWR coating?

As for the Atmos 65, I can find no info AT ALL on it's weather-worthiness? (other than "water-resistant zips". No info on the fabric itself.

Well, because I'm an over-analyzer who can't make a damned decision, I've ordered all 3. Pinnacle, Quest, and Atmos 65. I'll be able to load them up & make a side-by-side comparison.

Hmmm, I used an Atmos 65 on my AT thru last year and am in a serious dilemma as to whether to switch to a lighter frameless pack for the PCT next year. The thing is, I don't know whether I can EVER go back to having a pack that is flush to my back after having it off my back with the Atmos. This was the single reason I bought the pack as I hate having a pack pressing on my back when I'm bent forward or going up hill, otherwise I would have gone with a UL pack for sure, there's probably not many other benefits to the pack, the pockets are well laid out I guess, the wet pocket on the front is good for drying stuff. Sometimes I would go a bit crazy on the AT and carry about 16lbs of food out of town so can certify that the 65 can hold up to about 40lb comfortably, you'd have no worries with a 35lb load. Like most packs it ain't waterproof and by Vermont I broke both the front zippers and the lid zipper but that was due to me overstuffing and abusing them constantly. I called REI in Atlanta and they sent me a new pack after I returned the old one, even though it was filthy and couple of mouse holes in it. I have no idea what the other packs are like, am switching to much lighter gear for the PCT so maybe having a pack against my back won't be so much of an issue and I'll feel the immediate benefits of having a lighter pack on my back. The 65 has served me well though ...

Images

Six Moons Designs Starlite. Good pack, <2 pounds, outside pockets, carries 35 pounds well.

On the GoLite pack capacity, didn't Coup carry an Odyssey with 125 pounds in it on his unsupported AT thingy last month? Wonder how that turned out....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Well, the Osprey isn't here yet, but the Quest & Pinnacle came today.

As far as packing goes, with the exception of a top lid pocket on the Quest, they're IDENTICAL, size-wise. They actually look like they are sewn from the exact same pattern, they just added a lid pocket & hipbely pockets to the quest.

Hmm... still can't fit all my gear AND MY PAD. The pad has always been a problem. Plenty of room inside...room to spare EASY...if I lash the pack to the outside, but I was really hoping to get everything IN this time. Unfortunately, the Pinnacle/Quest does NOT have a nice system for lashing the pad the bottom of the pack. The ice axe loops can be used, but it's a very "loose" system. Bounces all over. I could maybe sew up the axe loops to be smaller & have much less paly...

Overall, both were equally comfortable with about 31 lbs total. I actually couldn't feel much of a difference, except the Quest has a moldable framesheet which should help keep the entire pack from touching your back, and the Pinnacle has only a foam framesheet... so if you overstuff, it can actually "push" or "bulge" into your spine. NOT comfortable.

The Osprey should be here in a few weeks, maybe I'll wait to have all 3 side-by-side-by-side before making a decison... I've read alot about the inside of the Atmos 65 being smaller than thought, especially when putting the bladder inside the pack. Luckily, it has great straps on the bottom for the sleeping pad so I don't have to worry about that...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++