WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easiest 100 miles?

We're beginners and are planning on hiking 100 miles or so in June. What would you consider the least challenging 100 miles of the AT?

S&S

Images

Hands down... SNP but it will be a bit crowded with the hight of tourism season.

Images

Default There isn't one!

While it may be possible to objectively determine the easiest 100 miles of the AT according to some specified criteria, for most purposes, it doesn't matter what's easiest. When actually hiked, everything changes.

Prevailing conditions, both environmental and personal are variables which cannot be completely controlled and can turn what ought to be easy into difficult, even impossible.

So why even ask what's easiest? Pick a place and hike.

Off the top of my head I'd say that the SNP is the easiest 100 mile stretch.

Its also, in my opinion, the second worst stretch of the trail to hike. Only the GSMNP is worse.

Images

Do you get out much at home or are you just going cold?

You have some great trail right in your state and Mass and New York are not too far and for the most part have only a few climbs or stretches that one might consider tough. There are benefits to staying closer to home sometimes and gas climbing up to the id and upper $3 a gallon mark is a big one for me.

Images

I would not get too wrapped up in the mileage, if you want an easier hike cut back to 4 or 5 miles a day, stop frequently and enjoy the view and the experience of being out on the trail. I have found that some of the harder uphills net the best views. HYOH
    "Shut up and keep walking"

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I thought the Smokies were awesome. I spent Christmas there last year.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

SNP in June would be nice. Better views from the Skyline Drive though when the leaves are out. The wildflowers will be good.

I didn't think it's too bad from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon either. A few rocky areas but not bad. The PATC shelters are very nice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Yeah, the shannies are nice... but in general, easy = less exciting. I would consider doing 50-75 miles and going to Maine or New Hampshire.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    Yeah, the shannies are nice... but in general, easy = less exciting. I would consider doing 50-75 miles and going to Maine or New Hampshire.
    I wouldn't suggest going to Maine in June to a first timer -- they might not ever be a second timer!

Yes, the SNP is generally considered the easiest part of the trail. BUT, on one of my thrus, we had 11 inches of rain when i hiked through there and i saw some amazing things, like what looked like a thousand artesian wells bubbling out of the ground every few feet in all directions. Of course the trail was about shin deep with the creek that it became
    The next time i hiked the trail, on a SOBO winter hike, the trail through there was ice covered and the park was closed to traffic (tried to keep the local bear hunters out at the time)
    So, it all depends on when you are there and the weather conditions.

Since you are from CT. I'd say the 100 miles south of you is the next easiest although it has too much civilization around and expensive resupply places.

In New England, Mass. is the easiest, followed by Ct. and Vt. in that order. Just my opinion. June in New England will bring blackflies and issues in the height of the mosquito season, though.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

It depends on your experience level. The At is a different breed than other trails. You will be challenged and enjoy any 100 mile section you choose.

Default Me Moron

OK, everybody in the world knows but me. Some Nice Place? Show Naked Pictures ? Soon Nirvana Prevails ?...................What's SNP ?

Images

Default Shenandoah Baby

Shenandoah's just flat out easy..wel the southern section gets a bit tougher, but much better views! Or try the chunk of miles south of Carlisle Pa. Flat city.

SNP is Shenendoah National Park in northern VA. Just west of Wash. DC.

Images

I think MA/CT/NY are relatively easy. There's not as much elevation gain and loss, plus there are lots of road crossings and bailout options. Williamstown, MA, to somewhere along the Housatonic in CT would be a pleasant walk.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Thanks!

Hey thanks, everybody! SNP it is. We did the first 20 miles of the AT over a long weekend a couple years ago. We are each in our mid-40's and are seasoned day hikers (though we don't get out as much as we'd like). She's in GA and I'm in MA. I'm flying to GA and we're driving back to MA and want to get in a few weeks of hiking along the way. I think we're going to park at Rockfish Gap, hike to Front Royal (we're slow, so it will probably take us 2 weeks!), then take a rental car back to Rockfish to get our car. Then we'll drive to the ATC at Harper's Ferry and plan a shorter week or so hike of NJ/NY/CT before heading home to MA to meet up with our hubbies.

We're really grateful for this resource...thanks again!
    Sue

++ New Posts ++