WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rookie Esbit Questions

Ok, the most simple and absurd: how do you light this stuff? I bought a box to use as backup for my wood burning stove, and can't seem to get it lit. I assumed it would be a simple affair: lay down on aluminum foil, suspend the pot, light the tab with a lighter, and voila! Not so. What am I doing wrong?

Images

Esbit tabs take a while to light. You'll want to protect it with a windscreen and hold the lighter on the same spot for several seconds, maybe 10-15. If wind is bad, as dab of hand sanitizer will quickly torch off the esbit, but be careful since you can't see the flame from the alcohol. You'll know the esbit is catching when it starts turning brown.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I usually used a match and tried to drop it with the head on the esbit, but you need a good windscreen. Using a lighter, I got burned fingers.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Images

Default Esbit...

Nix the lighter...use matches...save fingers and other important parts...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

Yeah, matches work better than a lighter. You could even scrape a little on the top edge to with your knife to allow it to "catch" faster, but I usually just hold a match to one upper corner for 5-6 seconds and it catches.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Ah..all I needed was a bit more patience? Thanks guys.

I never carry matches, so I'll see if I can find a slow burning piece of tinder similar to pinestraw to keep the flame away from my fingers. Using a lighter was killing me, and I had to quit too soon because my fingers were getting singed.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    Ah..all I needed was a bit more patience? Thanks guys.

I never carry matches, so I'll see if I can find a slow burning piece of tinder similar to pinestraw to keep the flame away from my fingers. Using a lighter was killing me, and I had to quit too soon because my fingers were getting singed.
    Everyone should carry some sort of waterproofed matches IE Lifeboat, strike-anywhere matches dipped in varnish etc in some sort of waterproof container. Not doing so is a failure to plan properly, and if you become hypothermic, it'll be your own fault.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1 for a deuce it could save yer a$$
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

++ New Posts ++