WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: GoLite Packs

Skunkleberry Finn

Default GoLite Packs

Has anyone had experience with a Breeze or Gust (or any other goLite) packs on a thru-hike?
    -I like the Breeze due to its lightweight (14oz!!!) and cost ( only $70!)
    -I like the Gust due to its bigger capacity and hip belt, plus a larger load capacity. (still buyable at $100)

Any suggestions on comments about these packs, other goLite packs (speed) or any other ultralight packs are helpful. Thank you so much!

Skunkleberry Finn

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkleberryFinn
    Any suggestions on comments about these packs, other goLite packs (speed) or any other ultralight packs are helpful. Thank you so much!
    www.golite.com The gust's volume is a bit too high for me. But if you let your bag take up 40%-50% of the pack you'll be alright. If you have a nice small light load the Jam might work. If you want a bit of a frame for comfort check out their new continuum and infinity packs.

Check out www.ula-equipment.com (p1 and p2)

www.sixmoondesigns.com new starlite (their old moonlite was quite nice, they may still have a few lying around for $80 email Ron to find out). Torso length 18"+ on either pack.

www.granitegear.com virga and vapor trail are very nice. The later pack has a simple framesheet and extra comfy hipbelt and shoulder straps for ~2#. Plenty of compression straps to tighten your load when it drops below 3000ci.

Also the www.gvpgear.com G4 is very popular. Though, again, I think the volume is a bit high. Wish it was 2200ci-2700ci.

I own a www.equinoxltd.com Kathadin. Nice pack. Can be found regularly on ebay for ~$70. Anywhere online for ~$90. Torso length 18"+ recomended.

www.mchalepacks.com pop and subpop if you want a custom pack.($$)

www.moonbowgear.com gearskin is a custom pack as well. Search this board (or follow the links at the bottom of this page) for more information. Might be a bit late to order one for a 2004 thru depending on when you plan to leave.

Check out www.backcountrygear.com lightweight zone. They list just about every lightweight pack on the market save for the two or three listed above that are from smaller shops.

Good luck,
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

have you looked at BackpackGearTest? here's their entire section of owner reviews & 6-month tests of frameless packs:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...20Day%20Packs/

owner reviews are just what they sound like, and test series consist of 3 reports filed over a 6-month testing period - am Initial Report that summarizes appearance and features, a Field Report at 2 months, and a Long Term Report at 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by SkunkleberryFinn
    Has anyone had experience with a Breeze or Gust (or any other goLite) packs on a thru-hike?
    -I like the Breeze due to its lightweight (14oz!!!) and cost ( only $70!)
    -I like the Gust due to its bigger capacity and hip belt, plus a larger load capacity. (still buyable at $100)

Skunkleberry Finn
    I've used both extensively. I used the Breeze on a Long Trail thruhike in 2001 and on my short hikes since then, and used a Gust on my longer hikes since then. The gust was enormous, though, so I chopped it nearly in half and modified it out of recognition. The breeze carries (and always has) tons better than the gust. I think it's the simple straight suspension. Anyway, it's a great option if you are CERTAIN that your total weight will be less than 20 pounds and not very bulky. On the Long Trail, my base weight was about 7 pounds, and I could only fit about 4 days of food in the pack. At that point, however, I was using a full length Zrest inside the pack, so it did take up a lot of space. Gather your gear, and get the pack to fit it.

-Howie

Registered Troll
    Images

I've had a Gust for a couple years now and love it. Haven't done a thru-hike yet, but on other hikes of up to a week it has been very comfortable and holds a lot of gear.

The Gust has a good hip belt and padded shoulders straps. I've had it loaded to 30 lbs. and over, and it has always carried the weight very well. It has a large front pocket and the material is very rugged ripstop. The only thing I would add would be a couple of side pockets. I may sew them on myself.

It's roomy but comes in three sizes, so you can control somewhat how much space you get. I have the medium.

The best thing is the weight -- 19 ounces. I shaved 4 pounds off my pack weight. It's much easier now to carry a manageable load with a Gust, a lightweight down bag, and lightweight Tarptent or tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by traceyam
    www.backcountrygear.com has been really late and sloppy about the order I placed with them for my pack (and bag) in early January, still waiting on it, just FYI. I ordered a Gust.
    I had a bad experience when I called BCG to order a Breeze in 2002. After ordering, I called a week later to find that they still hadn't shipped the bag. They told me that they were out of stock and won't order more until they had more orders!!! I was dumb founded! My flight to Vegas was in 5 days and I was going to be hiking in a HOT slot canyon. No place for a 7# bag. I called Golite to complain about thier dealer and found that I could buy directly from them. I had my bag in 2 days, what a relief. The Breeze was comfy and served my needs in 115* heat for the 4 days of hiking in Paria Canyon. I also used it for 3 & 4 day hikes on the AT in PA & NH.
    I added a sternum strap for better balance.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Default Gust

I also have a Gust and highly recommend it.

Skunkleberry Finn

Thanks a lot for your help.. I decided on a GoLite Speed. I went to the store to look at them and I think the Speed just incorporates my gear the best. The breeze was a little too small for me to feel comfortable.. Thanks a lot!!

Skunkleberry Finn

Ratatosk

Even if Skunkleberry Finn has made his decision; The Golite Gust is nice.

I've made two small tweaks on mine (2003 model), which I’d recommend Gust owners to try since it is easily reversible and very cheap.

To stiffen up the sac a bit, without destroying its ability to follow your back profile, I added a second foam pad in the back pocket. I just removed the original, placed in on an old sleeping mat and used a pen to get the profile before cutting with a scissors. Both fitted snugly in the pocket. I feel that it carries loads better now and the top doesn't collapse when the bag is half-empty. The second thing I did was to add parachute-cords with cord-locks on the sides so that I can compress the sac a bit and hang stuff to dry etc there if I want to. The pack came with loops pre-sawn on the sides for that. Can't remember how much weight these two tweaks added to the pack but likely less than 5 oz.

It's a shame that the Gust doesn't come with mesh side pockets for water bottles. I may add that on mine when I get the time.

As people already have written, it is a fairly large pack. Except for in the winter I rarely use it unless I'm on outings where I need to carry one week of food or more.

/Ratatosk

I started my '03 MEGA hike with the Gust. The biggest problem I found was since the back was made out of pack cloth without any foam, my back would get very hot, and I got heat rashes. Beware of the sil-nylon packs, I saw many people on the trail who had many problems with them. I switched to the Mountainsmith Ghost which did me very well. I would also check out ULA, and Granite Gear(The vapor trail was probably the most popular pack on the trail in '03).
    - 3oz

++ New Posts ++