WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default no fun on the AT

Images

Not for me. But unlike WC who thinks he can do it in 30 unsupported, this guy is the real deal and has a shot at breaking 47 if the weather and his health hold out.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not for me. But unlike WC who thinks he can do it in 30 unsupported, this guy is the real deal and has a shot at breaking 47 if the weather and his health hold out.
    IIRC, WC had it figured out. He walked for an hour in his neighborhood and covered five miles. With 14 hours a daylight and 5 miles an hour, he should cover 70 miles a day. THat will give him 2100 miles in 30 days.

The numbers all check out.
    Frosty

A few years ago, when Squeaky was planning his Under-40 record attempt, there was an interesting thread about what would be the best starting date.

Many suggested that he should plan his hike to take advantage of the longest days of sunlight. I may be mistaken, but I think he ultimately decided on an August start.

It's interesting to note that Karl Meltzer is also starting in August. I wonder why that is? A balance between shortening days, and cooler temperatures?
    Roland

Speedgoat Karl joined a discussion about his hike earlier this year...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ight=speedgoat

Images

I saw that guy run by me in 2005. I believe his trail name was Flash, could be mistaken on that though, but that name is stuck in my head. You shoulda seen that guy's thighs. Nothin but muscle....huge huge muscle
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    IIRC, WC had it figured out. He walked for an hour in his neighborhood and covered five miles. With 14 hours a daylight and 5 miles an hour, he should cover 70 miles a day. THat will give him 2100 miles in 30 days.

But of course. Thanks for reminding me that all WC has left to do is actually walk the AT. Heck, the hard part(math) is done.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

He has the same last name as my grandfather..... maybe were related! I definitely don't have his abilities though, so probably not

45.7 miles a day......... OUCH!
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    But of course. Thanks for reminding me that all WC has left to do is actually walk the AT. Heck, the hard part(math) is done.
    WC's scheduled start date is May 1. The waiting will soon be over.

Default hmmm

hmm I don't know about guys like this. Seems many folks have some need to turn AT hikes into some kind of contest.

I am very skepticle that he can do a 45 mile day through the Mahoosics and the Whites even if he is an athelete.

Is he going to try this unsupported??

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    hmm I don't know about guys like this. Seems many folks have some need to turn AT hikes into some kind of contest.

I am very skepticle that he can do a 45 mile day through the Mahoosics and the Whites even if he is an athelete.

Is he going to try this unsupported??

DavidNH
    not unsupported and i know quite a few guys that have done back to back 40s in the whites and southern maine. hike your own damn hike

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not unsupported and i know quite a few guys that have done back to back 40s in the whites and southern maine. hike your own damn hike
    Ditto on the 40's and the Whites (not my idea of fun, but they had little time and wanted to cover a lot of ground)

Do what works for you, if this guy wants to do it as a record, awesome, much cooler than any record that I'll ever hold

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

Default "Hello, I'm.....oh, goodbye."

Seems to me that doing the AT this way would make meeting new people very difficult. I wonder what his trail journal will look like.

"Did 45 miles today. Saw 15 other hikers. Have no idea who they were. Took a lot of pictures, but they are all blurry."
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

I think his legs & feet will disagree...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RadioFreq View Post
    Seems to me that doing the AT this way would make meeting new people very difficult. I wonder what his trail journal will look like.
    He's not doing this trip to meet new people or keep an impressive journal. It's a physical challenge and I look forward to following his progress.

Sounds like a traverse of the AT but it doesn't sound like a hike of the AT to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    He's not doing this trip to meet new people or keep an impressive journal. It's a physical challenge and I look forward to following his progress.
    i'm with you phreak! HOP,SKIP,RUN,WALK,CRAWL WHATEVER TRIPS YOUR TRIGGER. JUST ENJOY YOURSELF,OR WHATS THE FRIGGIN POINT!

I actually talked with Thompson on the trail for a bit in 05 (all of 2 minutes as he was going up and I was going down). Seemed like a nice enough guy. His crew was weird though. I wonder if they actually get any enjoyment out of it?

But hey, more the power to you!

Quote Originally Posted by HugeHill View Post
    I actually talked with Thompson on the trail for a bit in 05 (all of 2 minutes as he was going up and I was going down). Seemed like a nice enough guy. His crew was weird though. I wonder if they actually get any enjoyment out of it?

But hey, more the power to you!
    i know andy and his "crew" jon. they enjoy what they do more than your packsniffin' ass will ever know.

It's easy to be critical of others when what they do differs from our own ideals.
    Roland

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++