WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO From Neels Gap For 1 Week

I'm anxious to hit the trail and finally finish GA in June. All of my hiking from the Falls up has been in late Feb./early March, so I'm curious to see what gear I could leave behind in the summer.

No heavy coat, obviously, but is it wise to skip the fleece jacket? I was thinking a long-sleeve shirt with a light fleece vest, if necessary, and the usual lightweight shell for wind and rain.

Approximately how many days would it take to hit the state line? My understanding is that once you cross into NC, it's still pretty remote. What's the first "big town" with either train or bus service to Charlotte?

I've ~7 trail days to burn, so I'm eager to finally knock this out (started in ought-six). Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    "Don't wait too long." -JPH

El Sordo
    Images

I'm not sure about bus service in Franklin. You can check the Grayhound website and see if they go there. A few years ago when I was hiking the Standing Indian loop I gave a ride to an injured hiker from Rainbow Springs to Chattanooga. As I recall he hadn't been able to get a bus in Franklin. The stateline is about 50 miles from Neels Gap and the next possible pickup point is at Deep Gap. Dunno if this is what you were looking for, but that's what I know.

It'll take most folks 3 or 4 days to get from Neel Gap to Dick's Creek/Rt 76 (the Hiawassee road crossing). Assuming doesn't leave Dick's Creek late in the day, one should then get to the GA/NC border near Bly Gap on the following day.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Status Crow View Post
    ... I was thinking a long-sleeve shirt with a light fleece vest, if necessary, and the usual lightweight shell for wind and rain. ....
    If you add a knit cap for night, your list is about what I carried last week in GA. I had a light fleece shirt but a vest would have worked. June is more likely to be hot but there's always a chance of hitting a stretch of cool rain.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

How about a ride into Franklin with a shuttle to Deep Gap or Standing Indian Campground. From there a SOBO to Neels Gap. 4 days. Enjoy either way, it's the hiking that matters. I finished Georgia myself in March.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by excuses View Post
    How about a ride into Franklin with a shuttle to Deep Gap or Standing Indian Campground. From there a SOBO to Neels Gap. 4 days. Enjoy either way, it's the hiking that matters. I finished Georgia myself in March.
    If I can help you with a shuttle call us at 828-524-4403 at Budget Inn in FranklinOur closest bus station is in Waynesville which is 45 miles away.

Thanks for the replies! I didn't even consider going southbound.

I appreciate the contact number, too. Hopefully we can work something out in June.

I was finally able to get back on the trail on 11/3 and couldn't have asked for a better walk. The weather was great, the foliage amazing and the people as nice as ever.

I ended up going southbound from Dick's Gap and made it to Neel's just after nightfall on 11/5. I met a really nice hiker named "Hickory" on my second day out, as well as 7 or so southbounders coming all the way from Maine. Holy smokes, that one stretch of Rocky + Blue really puts some gravel in your guts... I staggered into the Blue Shelter as if trying to run underwater. Also, anyone else notice the lack of consistent blazes heading to Levelland? I thought I'd taken a wrong turn and nearly backtracked several times.

Well, now I just need to finish the 5.6 miles up from Dick's to the NC line and GA is done. It's taken me three years and I never thought I'd be able to say that. Big thanks to Leigh at Hiker Hostel and Winton at Mountain Crossings for arranging my shuttle. Couldn't have done it without your friendly & professional service!

See you again in the spring, most likely.
    -Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Status Crow View Post
    I'm anxious to hit the trail and finally finish GA in June. All of my hiking from the Falls up has been in late Feb./early March, so I'm curious to see what gear I could leave behind in the summer.

No heavy coat, obviously, but is it wise to skip the fleece jacket? I was thinking a long-sleeve shirt with a light fleece vest, if necessary, and the usual lightweight shell for wind and rain.

Approximately how many days would it take to hit the state line? My understanding is that once you cross into NC, it's still pretty remote. What's the first "big town" with either train or bus service to Charlotte?

I've ~7 trail days to burn, so I'm eager to finally knock this out (started in ought-six). Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    I hiked from Wayah Gap NC to Amicaloa this past June. We had a few nights in the high 40's. I carried/wore a SS Visa t-shirt, a longsleeve Underarmor tee, and a Patagonia Puffball vest with a watch cap, I had all that on a couple of times, it was more than enough. I didn't carry a shell, I used a silnylon poncho as raingear and a packcover and it worked great.

I snapped awake this morning with the realization that I left my Leki Makalu ultralight poles in the phone booth at Neel's.

Calling Mt. X'ings at 9AM to see if someone turned them in. If anyone here came across them, I'd love to hear from you.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

If you go into Franklin, Ron will ensure you get to where you need to be.

Kirby

++ New Posts ++