WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Repelling Gear/Info

Does anybody here do any repelling?

Me and a couple other guys did it this past weekend at Red River Gorge in Kentucky and now we'd like to do it some more.

Are there any good websites that give info on repelling, how to tie nots and things like that? We learned how to do it pretty quickly, but obviously there is a lot more to learn.

MTS

Indeed, rappelling is a great sport, but I would issue a warning to get proper instruction before you start out on your own especially with anchor building.

Other than that, www.rockclimbing.com is a good place to start. Do you have your own gear? As for knots, the main knots to do any climbing are the grapevine knot, figure eight follow through, double figure eight, and the water knot.

Hope you enjoy yourself and have a good time, but just be smart. Rappeling and climbing is not 100% "safe".

Images

i used to work as a window cleaner and would rappell down the side of the 10 story hotel tower cleaning windows on my way down. It always drew a crowd.

AT ? Repelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bare Bear View Post
    AT ? Repelling?
    Repelling mosquitos is always good.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

Who are you trying to get rid of? Ill sell you a repelling helmet for real cheap

Get a copy of John Long's "Climbing Anchors" and at least flip through "How to Rock Climb!" (particularly the chapter on "Getting Down.") That should get you started on the right track.

Images

Thanks for the tips

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

At first I thought this was about Buzz Off garments!

Anyway, you really need the training to do it safely. You can earn a certificate that enables you to lead others. Look for a course with instructors.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

As a rope rescue technician, I would have to echo Blissfull's comments. You really should get some training from a competent person. Don't trust just anybody who tells you they know all about rappelling, ask about training, certifications, experience. Anybody can connect a figure 8 to a rope and slide down. But what happens if there are problems? Can they rig safely? Can they perform a rescue if nessasary? Do they take proper care of their gear?
    To find good people, check out local climbing clubs. You are from Louisville, you might want to contact the Louisville Grotto of the National Speleological Society at
    http://www.caves.org/grotto/louisvillegrotto/ There you will find lots of folks who are very familiar with rapelling. They may be more ino using racks rather than 8's because they are more useful in caving, but you can find some of the best rope peolpe in the caving community.
    Off the top of my head, books you can read include: CMC rappelling Manual; Vertical by Alan Warlid;On Rope by Alan Padgett and Bruce Smith.

Spellcheck fails again!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Default It's Rappel

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    Get a copy of John Long's "Climbing Anchors" and at least flip through "How to Rock Climb!" (particularly the chapter on "Getting Down.") That should get you started on the right track.
    Check out the book How To Rappel! by Craig Luebben

It's in the same series as the books already mentioned, but gives good detail on how to back up your belay!

I would also seek out professional instruction. Check out your local climbing gym. Don't take it personal if they give you any attitude. Rock climbers don't see rappelling as a sport in itself, only as a means to getting off the rock!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Spellcheck fails again!
    Yeah, but most equipment is repelling once you've sweated on it for a week or two.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mts4602 View Post
    Does anybody here do any repelling?

Me and a couple other guys did it this past weekend at Red River Gorge in Kentucky and now we'd like to do it some more.

Are there any good websites that give info on repelling, how to tie nots and things like that? We learned how to do it pretty quickly, but obviously there is a lot more to learn.

MTS
    Over the years I've repelled quite a few people. But I've never needed any special equipment. Just a key board and pieces of paper or a computer screen. Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Weary

Great fun! But as said by others, do it right. Did a fair bit when in the Fire Dept., but always abseiled/rappelled 'backing' into the drop. Had a shot at something they call 'rap jumping' where you face forward into the drop. Very fast technique, you can literally run down the face of a building - quite a buzz but the initial launch, looking straight down is a bit disconcerting!
    Couple of pic's that may be of interest...

This one was taken on a hike in NZ. Quite convenient, got a shower on the way down.

Images

Silly me, I also spelled "knots" wrong..

++ New Posts ++