WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MSR Hubba thoughts.....

I know a lot of ya'll are currently using the MSR Hubba. I just purchased one from TravelCountry at a discounted price and was looking for some suggestions, tips, etc....

I like the versatility of the tent, and the fact that you can pitch the fly without the tent body. I was under the impression that you had to use the Hubba footprint in order to accomplish this. After receiving the tent and reading the directions attached to the stuff sack, it states the footprint CAN be added (but not required) after basic setup. I tried this and, indeed, it works just fine.

Of course, I purchased the optional footprint (on sale also!). Also, I made a tyvek footprint with tie outs that weighed only four ounces opposed to the factory 6 oz footprint. Now it appears I can leave the footprint at home.

I currently plan on using this setup for a thru hike in a few years and am just looking for dos/don'ts and experiences with the Hubba. For instance, do you prefer to keep your pack in the tent with you or just outside the door in the vestibule ? Do you feel comfortable cooking in the vestibule while still in the tent if the weather is really lousy? Things of this nature..

Thanks.....

BTW....I really prefer a tarp for my shelter, but the Hubba is a fantastic design and extremely lightweight. What really got me interested in it is its bug protection and small footprint. Any comments are welcomed !!

1) cooking in the vestibule, to each his own

2) I'd rather sleep with my pack and food in the tent if I've been stealth camping

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I kept my pack in the tent except the food. We have cooked under the vestibule, no problem.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

My husband and I LOVE our Hubbas! I can keep my pack with me at the foot of the tent, no problem. He's 6' 2" and can sit up inside without a problem. Super fast to set up, no condensation problems.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I used a Hubba on my recent Springer to Newfound Gap trip and LOVED it. It kept me warm and dry in bad storms. I put my pack under my feet to keep them elevated, but there is more than enough room to slide the pack farther down. I always stake my tent, just for the extra 'elements' security (in case there are overnight storms or winds). I never cooked under the vestibule, but there would be enough room if you need to. My husband and I also have the hubba hubba (2 man) and love it too. IMO you can't go wrong with either of them.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

The vestibule is kind of short so you might want to keep an eye on the flames so as not to damage your tent. I think the Hubba is made of durable enough materials that you shouldn't have to use the footprint. I think the floor is 70 denier. By contrast, my new Montbell monoframe tent, with its 30 denier floor showed me, on the first night I used it, why I should use a tyvek footprint when I pitched it, got inside, and noticed a thorn from some twig I hadn't cleared away from the site, which pierced right up through the floor material and could have potentially pierced my inflatable sleeping pad.

I like everything about it, the double doors and dual vestibules make it "couple friendly" especially for us frequent Night Water types. Good ventilation and fast easy setup. The integrated single pole system assures there will be no lost parts and the high wall bathtub floor has performed well so far. The color kind of grows on you!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    I like everything about it, the double doors and dual vestibules make it "couple friendly" especially for us frequent Night Water types. Good ventilation and fast easy setup. The integrated single pole system assures there will be no lost parts and the high wall bathtub floor has performed well so far. The color kind of grows on you!
    I agree, plus the full screen design. The major drawback for me is the price; what are you getting for that much money?

I own both the Hubba and the Hubba Hubba.....both are outstanding. They have held up great in windy stormy weather. My brother and I share the space in the Hubba Hubba every year for a week of section hiking on the AT and we're both 6'. There's enough space to keep our packs inside. We typcially hang our food sack just to keep the critters out. Overall +++, I'd still recommend the footprint though.

I don't cook in the vestibule. Never have with any tent I've owned. Some people do that sort of thing.

I usually keep my pack inside with me. By the time I've set up, most of my stuff is in use, and not much is left in my pack anyway. Most often, I hang my food, so that's not in my tent, either. What's left in my pack becomes my pillow. I have the Hubba, and while I'm not tall, I'm a large woman. I fit very comfortably in my tent. (Though a boy scout once asked me, "Is that tent wide enough for you?") I've had the tent for 2 years, and I really love it. I haven't ever set up without the tent body. I keep telling myself I will, but then I lose my nerve -- like the netting has some magical properties that keep me safe in the woods or something.

++ New Posts ++