WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Could Alabama be new Appalachian Trail end? - WAVY-TV

Could Alabama be new Appalachian Trail end?
    WAVY-TV, VA - 13 minutes ago
    (AP) - A group is working to get the mighty Appalachian Trail extended to the foothills of Alabama. The trail currently runs 2175 miles through mountains, ...

More...

Images

I doubt it'll ever happen. It could be used to extend a hike, but they'll never get approval to move the southern terminus from GA.

Images

From the article: "The plan could involve giving cash incentives to hikers who start the Appalachian Trail in Alabama."

They're kidding right? Of course the local AL merchants would pick up on the NOBO herd's food, beer, and gear spending every year before 8 out of 10 drop out by GA. Maybe it isn't a bad economic plan for local overpriced convenience stores and outfitters.

If the trail begins in AL most prospective thrus will probably never even see Springer. Hmmm...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

It's a great idea because Florida will then want in on it. Before long Cuba will follow.

Threads like this one make me miss moxie's posts.

The International Appalachian Trail heading north from Katahdin is an example of adding an extension to the AT without extending the real AT.

Any nominations for naming the Alabama extension?

'Bama AT?

Images

How 'bout the Wannabe Trail? Hmm, even has a Native American ring to it...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

SIGN post: Wrong Way Trail, If you are on it you are going the Wrong Way

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Any nominations for naming the Alabama extension?

'Bama AT?
    It already has a name. Pinhoti. A fine trail at that. But very unlikely it will ever become the Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    It already has a name. Pinhoti. A fine trail at that. But very unlikely it will ever become the Appalachian Trail.
    Yeah, but Pinhoti AT has no ring to it.

Images

If you read the article, its the Chamber of Commerce, NOT a hiking group, that is pushing this. Alabama Hiking Trial Society, the states largest group has not even been approached about this...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

The terminus will be moved the same day that Georgia, Alabama and Florida all agree on how best to share the water in the Chattahoochie River.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    From the article: "The plan could involve giving cash incentives to hikers who start the Appalachian Trail in Alabama."
    ANyone who hikes the Rock Garden should be paid
    Frosty

Default Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    ANyone who hikes the Rock Garden should be paid
    1) What IS the Rock Garden?

2) I've toyed a bit with starting my next thruhike (possibly as soon as 2009) on the southern end of the Pinhoti. Aside for no shelters or trail services (outfitters, hostels), not to mention far fewer other hikers how would it really differ from the AT in GA?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) What IS the Rock Garden?

2) I've toyed a bit with starting my next thruhike (possibly as soon as 2009) on the southern end of the Pinhoti. Aside for no shelters or trail services (outfitters, hostels), not to mention far fewer other hikers how would it really differ from the AT in GA?
    I'm going to assume that Rock Garden was this piece of the trail south of Mt Cheaha with lots of rocks.

I understand they have been adding shelters to the Pinhoti, so you would have more of those than I did way back - though I only used one that trip. Once you get to the north end of the Pinhoti you will have to link into the BMT and either go south 90 miles to get to the AT at springer, or go north about 90 to get to the AT near Shuckstack. Personally I would recommend the go north option as I feel that section of the BMT is nicer than the southern section - but either way is good.

As for differeing, I imagine you may find the Pinhoti even less of a trail at times than the AT based on your remarks from your last thru. The Pinhoti when I hiked it had places where there were no markings and they prefer a wilder trail - the BMT you will have to use is also like that.

Another thing you will find on these sections is not only a lack of services, but a culture around the trail that has less understanding/familiarity with hikers. I notices a real difference between trying to hitch into a town or talking with locals on the BMT and Pinhoti than I did on the AT. On the AT people around it know what a hiker is doing out in the middle of no-where and understand what a hiker is looking for. On the Pinhoti and BMT I rarely ever found a local that knew that there was a trail in the area or knew anything about hikers (I was often treated as a homeless person).

So these trails take away some of the "safety net" for hikers. You cannot mail a drop box in these areas and expect the post office to know what you are doing. You cannot show up into town and get a hiker rate. You cannot show up to a restaurant smelling like a hiker and expect people are not going to tell you to eat outside. I ain't saying it will happen, but you may have to use more people skills and personality to get along with some of the folks along the trails.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Could Alabama be the New Appalachian Trail End? - WCTV

Could Alabama be the New Appalachian Trail End?
    WCTV, FL - 14 minutes ago
    Reporter: AP AP Video Mobile ~ Now local news, weather, sports, movies, stocks and other cities throughout the country on your cell phone or PDA. ...

More...

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by News article-Post 15
    Alabama boosters, though, are undeterred. The Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce is trying to build buzz among hikers. Some proponents are talking about giving cash incentives to hikers who start the Appalachian Trail in Alabama.
    Cash to go hiking, now they are talking.
    Last edited by Alligator; 05-04-2008 at 12:36. Reason: Merged threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    The terminus will be moved the same day that Georgia, Alabama and Florida all agree on how best to share the water in the Chattahoochie River.
    Now that is funny, a witty perspective as usual DWM.

Default Spent some time on the main Pinhoti Trail site this morning...

1) They actually have about half a dozen shelters in place. I looked up distance from the PT on two of them, and they were both within 5 minutes' walk of the PT.

2) Resupply looks to be no biggee, with max of around 6 days food needed.

3) Much of the PT seems fairly pleasant walking WRT grade and elevation changes, kind of like the easier parts of GA (just a quick impression, could be wrong).

4) Agreed locals will not know there is an LD trail there. Best to limit hitches to as few as possible. That is, make good time, carry enough food for margin of error, resupply as close to the PT as possible. And, expect motels to be main way to get town showers. (Didn't see anything on remotely convenient truck stops.) Anyway, should see few to no loose dogs outside of roadwalks and town, as the trail is so little-known, not to mention the time of year I'd hike it.

5) Should be enough warmer that far south/lower altitude I might not need every bit of full winter gear as I would in GA. (Note that I'd leave early Jan. or so, if I tacked on the PT.)

6) Water mostly not too much of a problem, though sometimes need to carry water overnight (water often not near shelters).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    1) They actually have about half a dozen shelters in place. I looked up distance from the PT on two of them, and they were both within 5 minutes' walk of the PT.

2) Resupply looks to be no biggee, with max of around 6 days food needed.
    I remember one good crossing where the interstate goes through - seems like there was a resupply point a few miles off. I didn't use it - I took 10 days of food and hiked it straight through in 8.5 days.
    3) Much of the PT seems fairly pleasant walking WRT grade and elevation changes, kind of like the easier parts of GA (just a quick impression, could be wrong).
    For the most part that was what I recall as well. I will say that there were some steep climbs on the BMT - just not very long ones. After doing a thru of the AT, they won't seem that bad at all to you.
    4) Agreed locals will not know there is an LD trail there. Best to limit hitches to as few as possible. That is, make good time, carry enough food for margin of error, resupply as close to the PT as possible. And, expect motels to be main way to get town showers. (Didn't see anything on remotely convenient truck stops.) Anyway, should see few to no loose dogs outside of roadwalks and town, as the trail is so little-known, not to mention the time of year I'd hike it.
    Actually this is one place I wouldn't assume if I were you. I got surrounded on the Pinhoti by a pack of stray dogs. Hiking sticks were all I needed to avoid the pack playing too hard with me.
    5) Should be enough warmer that far south/lower altitude I might not need every bit of full winter gear as I would in GA. (Note that I'd leave early Jan. or so, if I tacked on the PT.)
    I also wouldn't assume here either. I hiked it with a January start on the Pinhoti in 2000 and got caught up in an ice storm.
    6) Water mostly not too much of a problem, though sometimes need to carry water overnight (water often not near shelters).
    I don't recall water ever being an issue.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Pinhoti

Heflin's the resupply point on the Alabama section, just north of I-20. Cave Spring in Georgia's next, followed by Dalton or Calhoun. From Calhoun I don't think there's another good resupply point before connecting with the BMT.

Towns and people along the Pinhoti are definitely less "trail oriented" than on the AT. Don't expect any organized trail magic, if you get my drift.
    Last edited by Two Speed; 05-04-2008 at 12:49. Reason: Don't seem to be able to spell today.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++