WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Slimer View Post
    I had a fine time at Elmer's place. Fine hospitality and company. I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.
    Try walking in during dinner time. The camp ground is cheaper and more fun and the people there are nicer.

Anyone have the contact info(Phone Number, Etc.) for Elmer's??

Images

Call 828-622-7206
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Thanks Jeff...Unfortuately elmer was booked for the weekend. Good for Elmer, not so good for me

He quoted me a price for the night and then in the morning asked if I was a thru hiker. I said no, but I have 1,600 miles invested in section hikes.

He added $20 to my bill on the spot and I left feeling a bit screwed.

If you are anything other than a thru hiker, Elmer doesn't have much use for you. Well, sorry but not everybody has 6 months to spend hiking. Three weeks at a time is a major sacrifice for me since I own a small business. I still make the sacrifice and hike regularly on the AT even though I live 3000 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.

Images

Stayed there once a few years ago in summer. Nice place. I think he makes all vegetarian/vegan food which was nice because I'm a vegetarian. He has a ton of books and a banjo and guitar. My friend and I got our own porch. I think they have a dinner bell there, which I thought was kind of weird but whatever.

I'll definitely stay there again on my thru-hike next year.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Enter my house and make fun of my decor or my lifestyle choices, and you'll find yourself on the curb faster than you can say ("fill in the blank").
    Yeah I would have probably kicked them out too.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I was lucky enough to spend Thanksgiving at Elmers on my AT adventure. Great food, great people, and a great rest from the trail. One of the better memories from my hike.

One regret however is not asking for prices up front, but this is entirely my own fault. The meals ended up costing more than I thought, and although not at all unreasonable, it was unexpected.

Lesson learned - at any hostel discuss all pricing up front (don't forget work-for-stay as well).

Images

I stayed at Elmer's Sunnybank Inn last fall at the start of
    a trip. I liked it and hope to be back some time.

Images

Our section hiker group stayed there in 2007 and would so and will again. We were not thrus and obviously so and Elmer and Sunny were kind and we did get prices up front and reservations way up front and they were reasonable. Really fair. I chose the place because we had two vegetarians on our trip and I thought it would be cool for them and the place is incredibly interesting. I will take that home over an impersonal hotel any day. I am a meat eater and the vegetarian fare was excellent. It appeard they also employed work for hire and had some hiker sleeping in the yard also. Yes, that is the best salad dressing I have ever had in my life. We were lucky enough to be there with some hikers who were talented amateur musicians also. A great stay at both ends of our hike and a wonderful memory of our trip. I did not discuss politics and really the only pictures I perused were the many sent by hikers who had summited Katadin with well wishes to Elmer,Sunny and the Sunnbank staff.

Guys be kind, Elmer has lived his life for hikers. Hostel owners are people too-especially if you are being housed in their home.You don't know what happened yesterday that effects attitude today. Walking in at dinner time with no notice, making fun of beliefs,home,ect. Lets go to your house and see how long it would fly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++