WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Former Admin

Default Elmer's - Hot Springs

Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Elmer's.

Images

I stayed 2 nights in Hot Springs at Elmers and loved it. Breakfast one day was excellent, the other was so - so. Very friendly and lots of good books to read. The only downside was that the place was a bit too nice. After being grimy and grungy for a while, sleeping in a Victorian house in a four post bed with my own porch was a bit of an overload. I can't imagine not going to Elmers when I pass through Hot Springs again.

Images

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

(If you've been there, you know. If you haven't you will. Everything in time.)
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

We had Easter sunday breakfast here, and the place, the host, and the food were all top notch. One bit of advice is make your daily "reservation" EARLY, like EARLY EARLY, when we were there Hot Springs was FULL of thru-hikers and they were all fighting for the 5 open spots at Elmers.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

Elmers was less busy when I came through in mid May (~May 16)> Around 20 thru or section hikers were in town, but many were staying elsewhere, usually because of dogs. I was the first person
    to Elmers, one of the last into Hot Springs, and that was around 1 pm. Perhaps a near-guarenteed spot at Elmers is a reason for starting a thru hiker later than usual?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Elmer's is great..try to get the basement room..very private

Images

Elmer was rude, obnoxious and kicked out two hikers last min (45 min ontice after breakfast) so some non hikers could pay more for the room. Elmer says he's for the hikers but is only in it for himself. Many reports of his rude behavior in shelter logs north of Hot Springs back me up.
    Happy Trails
    THE Mule

Images

Last edited by smokymtnsteve; 08-13-2003 at 21:10.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Randell's farm

In David Brill's book "As Far as the Eye Can See," written about his 1979 thru-hike, he tells of these guys Randell and Elmer who operated an organic farm near Hot Springs, NC. I assume this is the same Elmer.

Anyone know if Randell is still around and if he still owns an organic farm in the area? If so, does he take in thru-hikers or let them sleep in the barn? Maybe earn board by working in the fields for a day?

I beleive Randall has passed on, but I'm not certain. The farm (more of a garden) is still there and Elmer will take those who do the work-for-stay out there to help out. A couple guys doing so this year were even treated to an evening in the hot springs by Elmer. His meals are quite good and those down blankets sleep wonderfully on a cold evening.

Remember, Elmer has been hosting hikers for decades at a significantly reduced charge in an Inn where regular guests subsidize the hikers. Inevitably over enough time, some hikers will get rubbed the wrong way as they do in almost every lodging place on the entire Trail. By and large, though, on any given day you can expect a very comfortable stay.

Randall is alive and well living about 5 miles out of Hot Springs on a smaller farm than the one Brill stayed at.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Elmers!

Quote Originally Posted by Former Admin
    Comments, experiences, opinions, good or bad related to Elmer's.

Elmer's aka: "Sunnybank Inn"

will let you know May 9th ("Jigsaw" & I, along with the rest of the "Model-T crew" will be staying there May 8th @ end of our section-hike)
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Elmer's

Stayed there last year. First place I came to when I dropped down into Hot Springs. They had a room available and I needed one. No great shakes but met my needs ...shower and a comfortable bed. Kinda felt like I was staying in an old mansion. I had no interaction with the owner. Didn't eat the breakfast. Walked across the street to the Diner.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Elmer's

I stayed there in March '01 after a pretty big snowstorm in the Smokies. There were few other hikers, and one weekender who had driven up.

I had a hugely good time there with very good breakfast, and I think dinner also. It was clear that he runs a bit of an Eastern religious school, but no more intrusive than staying at the Blueberry Patch and less than the Friary. I visited with Elmer and staff, enjoyed touring the grounds, and enjoyed reading the books about the place's history in music and arts.

Be careful what you say there. I commented that I wished I could do a day trip SOBO into Hot Springs. Before I knew it, they had arranged a shuttle.

I'd recommend it highly.

Bill...

Thumbs up Elmer Hall

Last April, I decided to take a stay at Elmer Hall's Sunnybank Inn. I never regretted staying there. He gave me a great hospitality with respect. I told him I am deaf. He understood, and gave me a notebook for me to carry around and write with hearing people in Hot Springs. I told him I have trouble finding ATM in Hot SPrings to pay him for the night. ANd asked if I can pay him later.. he never have any problem with that... and welcomed me to his Inn. AND food he cooks, GREAT! taste real good. My stomach ballooned and finally I have to fingering in my mouth to throw up some food out... I didnt stop eating and eating because those food taste soooo GOOD!!!!

I had two great night sleep at Sunnybank Inn and will definiately sleep there again next year on my 2nd attempt to thru hike.

Flash Hand

with a case of blind faith
    Images

Default It was Worthy!

I had the pleasure of staying at the Balladry a couple of months ago. Also had the pleasure of listening to some real pickers in the music room that evening. Dinner was most excelent but I, too, slipped over to the diner for a big greasy breakfast before my first 20 mile day..

Images

B'fast is great at Elmer's also, I Love staying at the sunnybank, It a grand ole palce ... I was lucky enough to get a bed there during Trail Fest this year.

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=54242

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=50621
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

just left elmers today . my stay was great although i ate at diner across street.

Rude guy, nice place.

GA-ME-04
    Images

I had a fine time at Elmer's place. Fine hospitality and company. I don't recall ever seeing anything negative in the shelter registers about Elmer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++