WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

why can't I edit? Albumin!!! arrrrrrrgh

Images

Default Hes right

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I dip them in boiling water for 3-to-5 seconds. It "cooks" a thin layer of the insides up against the shell, sealing all the tiny cracks and air holes.

It's the same theory as the Vaseline, just not as messy. They're supposed to last up to 21 days, if I recall.

I take them on section hikes and have fresh eggs for a real breakfast. Much better than instant oatmeal.

Have yet to have one crack in my pack, too.

RainMan

He.s right. Tinker agreed in past too! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...40962#poststop

I'll second what Bulldawg said about fresh free range eggs. Mann those are good. Thems chickens eat all kinds of protein and their yolks are almost orange in color. And they taste soooo goood. I have a friend at work who has free range chickens and I get my eggs from her. Once you do, you will never go to store bought again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah russb, they are great. I get a premium for my leftovers after I give eggs to my family. Right now, I get about $4 a dozen. Not a "money maker" but it does help with the feed.

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    I'll second what Bulldawg said about fresh free range eggs. Mann those are good. Thems chickens eat all kinds of protein and their yolks are almost orange in color. And they taste soooo goood. I have a friend at work who has free range chickens and I get my eggs from her. Once you do, you will never go to store bought again.
    Pigment content

The color of the yolk is a reflection of its pigment content. In addition, the type of pigment in the egg and its concentration are directly influenced by the dietary concentration of any particular pigment.

Consumer preferences vary greatly on yolk color, even in the same country. Color is described on the basis of the Roche Color Fan (RCF). Yolk colors from 6 to 15 can be achieved by using only natural pigmenters obtained from natural raw materials. Natural sources can be from plants such as marigold, chili, or corn. The high protein blue-green algae known as Spirulina has also been shown to be a very efficient pigment source for poultry skin and egg yolk.

Recent research has shown that eggs may be beneficial in preventing macular degeneration, a major cause of blindness in the elderly. A recent study indicated that higher intake of carotenoids reduced the risk of age-related macular degeneration. The most effective carotenoids were lutein and zeaxanthin, which are commonly found in dark-green leafy vegetables, such as spinach and collard greens.

Most of the carotenoids in egg yolk are hydroxy compounds called xanthophylls. Lutein and zeaxanthin are two of the most common xanthophylls found in egg yolk. Lutein and zeaxanthin are high in pigmented feed ingredients such as yellow corn, alfalfa meal, corn gluten meal, dried algae meal, and marigold-petal meal. Fortunately, both lutein and zeaxanthin are efficiently transferred to the yolk when these various feed ingredients are fed to laying hens.

The egg processing industry has routinely produced highly pigmented yolks for use in bakery products, pasta and mayonnaise. Perhaps there would be a market for eggs having a higher level of lutein and zeaxanthin.

Unfortunately, American consumers prefer a lighter colored yolk and eggs from hens fed these xanthophylls will have more highly pigmented yolks. Perhaps the consumer can be educated to accept a darker yolk color. With a growing problem of macular degeneration in the elderly, the egg industry may want to seize this opportunity.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS048

WOW!
    Thanks for the info guys/gals. You have jut turned my plans for breakfast from MEH to :-D.

Now to settle on a source for bacon (I've already read several post on this matter)

Quote Originally Posted by CBSSTony View Post
    Whats the best way to pack raw/uncooked eggs, for a week long hike in warm weather?
    raw / uncooked eggs? as opposed to those raw fully cooked eggs?

Default Inaccurate...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Farm raised, free range, non caged brown eggs are by far 100 times better than the store bought eggs. And if ya really want to add some... nutrition to them, get ya a rooster and collect those fertile eggs to eat. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!
    http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm

Fertile Eggs
    "Eggs which can be incubated and developed into chicks. Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs, do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce."

Journal Entries

OK folks, just like others said, farm fresh eggs will not spoil in average tmeps for a long long time. I raise laying chickens here at home. Thing is a farm fresh egg has a coating on the outside of the egg that basically seals the inside of the egg from the atmosphere for quite a long time. So long as you do not wash them, I have seen eggs last 60 days and still be good; UNREFRIGERATED! Now, you cannot do that with store bought eggs mind you because they have been washed and nature's coating removed.

Another bonus and thread hijack is this. Farm raised, free range, non caged brown eggs are by far 100 times better than the store bought eggs. And if ya really want to add some tastiness and nutrition to them, get ya a rooster and collect those fertile eggs to eat. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!!
    Those who read these forums with due diligence, know that BullDawg and I from time to time quibble over details.

But I can attest. Bulldawg knows his eggs. My grandmother raised laying hens, my Dad went broke raising laying hens. I raised laying hens for years.

Based on three generations of practice and observation, everything BullDawg says -- well about eggs anyway -- is abolutely true.

Weary

Images

We raise our own chickens, fresh farm eggs will last easily a couple weeks even in warm weather. I just skimmed through the thread and somebody suggested that a bad egg will stink, very true. Another way to tell if a egg is going bad is put it in water if it floats then it is decomposing inside and producing gas which will make it float. Throw that one away!
    Once you start eating farm fresh eggs you wont buy another pale white store egg. The color, flavor and taste is so much better.
    WalkingStick"75"

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingStick75 View Post
    We raise our own chickens, fresh farm eggs will last easily a couple weeks even in warm weather. I just skimmed through the thread and somebody suggested that a bad egg will stink, very true. Another way to tell if a egg is going bad is put it in water if it floats then it is decomposing inside and producing gas which will make it float. Throw that one away!
    Once you start eating farm fresh eggs you wont buy another pale white store egg. The color, flavor and taste is so much better.
    Amazing. WalkingStick, knows almost as much as me and Bulldawg about eggs.

Weary

Journal Entries
    Images

Picked up 13 about half an hour ago. Nice happy hens lay beautiful brown and blue (yes blue) eggs that are absolutely fabulous scrambled, fried, or boiled just minutes out of the hen house.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm

Fertile Eggs
    "Eggs which can be incubated and developed into chicks. Fertile eggs are not more nutritious than nonfertile eggs, do not keep as well as nonfertile eggs and are more expensive to produce."

They do have slightly more protein in them.... from an infinitely more disgusting source.... rooster semen...
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 12-03-2008 at 23:26.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Picked up 13 about half an hour ago. Nice happy hens lay beautiful brown and blue (yes blue) eggs that are absolutely fabulous scrambled, fried, or boiled just minutes out of the hen house.

My egg source also had blue eggs. Some shades were a greenish blue, others a soft turquoise. Not only were they beautiful, but they were the tastiest. Her "blue egg" hens are getting old now so she doesn't get many of these prized eggs anymore. Most of her henns lay the brown eggs, still wonderful. A few have some whitish speckles on the shell. they look cool but still aren't as good as the blues.

Journal Entries

I haven't had a good poached egg since the raccoons ate the last of my laying hens. As soon as I rebuild my hen house, I'm getting a new flock.

Eggs last a long time, as several of us have attested. But the best poached eggs are cooked in simmering hot water, within minutes of being taken warm from the nests.

Weary

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Last edited by Bulldawg; Yesterday at 22:26.
    I am not offended but I am saddened lol
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Is there a way to get double yokers through diet. I had a flock of Rhode Island Reds that seemed to produce alot of those when I had them on straight corn. Was it a fluke or did the corn diet have something to do with it?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    I am not offended but I am saddened lol
    I hated to do it too, but I just knew some of the really offendable type people were gonna say something, better to head it off at the pass.

Images

Yeah russb, they are great. I get a premium for my leftovers after I give eggs to my family. Right now, I get about $4 a dozen. Not a "money maker" but it does help with the feed.
    We only get $1.50 dozen here in Michigan
    WalkingStick"75"

Journal Entries
    Images

We only get $1.50 dozen here in Michigan
    Caged, store bought medium sized white eggs are bringing right at $2 here. When I start selling again, mine will be $4 still.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++