WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Garlic
    Images

Default DWR--renew or not?

I'd like to see any anyone agrees with me on my decision to NOT renew the DWR coating on my sleeping bag (Marmot Helium).

I really enjoyed it when it was new, watching condensation bead off the fabric. Now--three years, 5000 trail miles, and three launderings later--the DWR is gone. I miss it, but it doesn't really affect my hiking at all. I haven't had to change plans because my bag got wet or anything. I just hiked 800 miles on the Pacific Northwest Trail in some continuous rain in Washington and the down bag worked just fine. But it got a little damp which probably would not have happened at all with new DWR.

I hear it's possible to spray on or wash in a new DWR coating. I hesitate to do this because of these concerns: 1) some of the coating will get into and affect the down insulation, 2) toxicity to the environment, 3) toxicity to myself, 4) it might be a waste of time and money doing it at home and it won't really work, and 5) I don't want to make the shell less breathable by over-applying it or something stupid like that. This is an expensive, excellent bag that I want to keep for a long time and I don't want to do anything I'll regret.

Can anyone talk me into doing it? Is it worth it?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Hmm I have the marmot helium bag that didn't have the DWR finish.....I like it and it has never wet out either. I would tend to agree with your decision not to attempt renewing the finish. If it aint broke....don't fix it?

Use a Granger or Revivex spray on DWR to avoid compromising the down.

Garlic, I have the same bag, love it, mine has about 7000 trail miles on it and I have considered doing the same thing lately.

Images

DWR can sometimes be renewed by heat -- ironing the fabric (not practical for a sleeping bag) or putting in a dryer, maybe a hair dryer would work. Soap or detergent residues will cause wetting, the opposite of what a DWR should do. If you've washed be sure it is rinsed very well.

Images

I just did a jacket with spray on stuff. Worked fine. Smelled like vinegar until it dried. Was able to spray in a light pattern that would not get to the down in a bag.

I would not do it to a "special" bag. You answered your own question early on.

Images

garlic i'd call marmot and ask them what they recommend you do. also i'd ask if that would affect the warranty
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

marmot bags come with a warranty? whoa, good to know!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Spray it, no big deal.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Spray it or wash it in ReviveX. You can call McNett or visit their website to evaluate the toxicity, but I'm pretty sure that your laundry detergent is worse for the environment and your skin.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    garlic i'd call marmot and ask them what they recommend you do. also i'd ask if that would affect the warranty
    Now that I didn't think of. Thanks. Thanks everyone else for your input, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

about time i returned the favor. i've gotten plenty of solid advise from you.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Western Mountaineering's website highly recommends the Revivex product, and has a link to the McNetts site for washing and treating of down bags.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

++ New Posts ++