WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default Selling themselves to hike.......

Found this on ebay. I know people often get free gear to test out on a thru-hike but how often does someone offer to sell themselves for advertising??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Appalachian-Trai...QQcmdZViewItem
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

There's a word for that, can't quite come up with it right now....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

There's a few folk on this site that businesses might pay to NOT to talk about their company and products while on the Trail.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Theoretically for the $1,000 buy now price - anyone can get these 2 amicable business majors to talk about anything you want to push on the trail. It would be interesting to see if someone can get these guys to talk about nothing but hemmoroid cream to anyone they meet on the trail.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The two gentlemen may want to read this notice from the ATC
    http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/..._3advertis.pdf
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Hemorrhoid Cream is perfect for all sorts of hiker ailments -- monkey butt, chafing, blisters between your toes, even insect bites. It lubricates your hiking sticks, prevents sunburn, and a thin layer adds 15 degrees to any sleeping bag.You should try it.

(Kidding --please don't do this.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    Theoretically for the $1,000 buy now price - anyone can get these 2 amicable business majors to talk about anything you want to push on the trail. It would be interesting to see if someone can get these guys to talk about nothing but hemmoroid cream to anyone they meet on the trail.
    ......and it won't take more than a few days for word to get passed down the trail and these two will find themselves "advertising" to no one but the shelter mice...and even the mice will finally tell them where to take it.........gees, do we have to start putting "No Soliciting" signs on our packs? When you ask someone their trail name or just how it's going you do NOT want to hear "...and give me a few moments to tell you about........"

Images

You can actually vary the subject matter they have to talk about as they move north. While down south they can be made to discuss the genetic dangers of in-breeding or how big guvment is a good thing ... etc. We could have section hikers document via video camera if they're fulfilling the contract. It's got possibilites for some serious fun. Just a thought .
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

You can actually vary the subject matter they have to talk about as they move north. While down south they can be made to discuss the genetic dangers of in-breeding or how big guvment is a good thing ... etc. We could have section hikers document via video camera if they're fulfilling the contract. It's got possibilites for some serious fun. Just a thought .
    I can hear it now, it could sound like a NASCAR interview, "yeah today the Preparation H thru-hike felt pretty good, it was a little tight in the beginning but loosened up as the day went on and we were able to bring it to the house, yeah the Asolo 95 GTX's were wearing a little and had to patch them up a bit, but those little Debbie snack cakes kept us going, Little Debbie littel Debbie I'm a comin home baby.

Or maybe they could just wear one of those sandwich boards while they wa;lk.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Or you can get them to carry those fake plates of food that they use to display at some restaurants - the stuff that looks real but is actually made of styrofoam. Have them show the fake food to some hungry thru-hikers and then have them talk about where the restaurant is ... preferably someplace a couple of hundred miles away. That could be fun.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post

Well I guess we all need to remove the labels from our clothing/packs/shoes/gear etc.

While I think what their doing is silly, I think they could hawk a product or sponsor without violating the letter of that ATC document.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    Well I guess we all need to remove the labels from our clothing/packs/shoes/gear etc.

While I think what their doing is silly, I think they could hawk a product or sponsor without violating the letter of that ATC document.
    Difference is WE paid for the products. THEY did not pay us.

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post

I really don't care personally. But actively hawking a product on the AT (as opposed to passively wearing an XYZ brand jacket) may be non-kosher.

Something to keep in mind. I suspect the ATC would frown upon it. I could ask..but I'm lazy.

More importantly? If some person tried to preach to me about the gospel of powerbars, I'd preach to them the gospel of "Get the hell out of here"
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think the key might be how they do their advertising

On November 17, 2001, the ATC Board adopted the following:
    Policy on Advertising in the Appalachian Trail Corridor

For the purposes of this policy, advertising is defined as posting materials,...

Images

Thumbs down

"Hello my trailname is "Advo Man" and the next 5 miles are brought to you by Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Do you have a little burning down below? Well, try Boudreax's and make your cheeks smile! available at a fine retailer in a trail town near you."

"I notice you've complained about back pain...the shelter floors are hard but with the new Therma-Rest X5000 you'll sleep like a baby and wake without a stiff back for only $ 159.00 you can........."

"Hungry? Remember Snickers Satisfies!"

"Amicable business majors" ? Seems they have a bit to learn about advertising ploys

Doing so would not make for "amicable" hikers

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    For the purposes of this policy, advertising is defined as posting materials,...
    Something about the spirit vs the letter of the law comes to mind.

Tell you what, someone who cares a bit more about this than I should ask straight out. I honestly suspect the ATC would be "Er..um, we really don't endorse this".
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I'll stick to selling HPEO's to finance my hikes.

Images

The funny thing is, plenty of hikers talk about gear and food, etc. I had three or four hikers -- some thrus and some sectioners -- ask me about my hammock this weekend, and a couple of others asked about my pack. It would be pretty easy to just wait for questions about your gear, and then talk it up.

(And no, I'm not getting paid by Tom Hennessey or Ron Moak, but I did talk up their stuff. And Henry Shires, too. And the MacCat tarp dude. You guys owe me.... )
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The funny thing is, plenty of hikers talk about gear and food, etc. I had three or four hikers -- some thrus and some sectioners -- ask me about my hammock this weekend, and a couple of others asked about my pack. It would be pretty easy to just wait for questions about your gear, and then talk it up.

(And no, I'm not getting paid by Tom Hennessey or Ron Moak, but I did talk up their stuff. And Henry Shires, too. And the MacCat tarp dude. You guys owe me.... )
    Well damn! Then MSR had better start putting the checks in the mail for my talking up my Hubba tent and Pocket Rocket stove!!!! And Big Agnes can start coming through for my endorsement of their sleeping mats! Oh, and REI as well because I bought everything from them and everything I wear has their name on it!

these two sound more like spokesmen for 'summer's eve' if you catch my drift...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++