WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Leaving the dog : (

Question-If anyone has any suggestions for how to leave your dog back at home while tru-hiking I would love comments. My wife and I are planning a tru-hike and this is the biggest issue....what to do with a 15 year old Jack Russell : (

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We left our dog with my parents - but my hubby was only on the trail five weeks. Any relatives that could take him in?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default Difficult decision

Here is my decision relative to the exact same quandry:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33697

Here it is 47 days until I'm supposed to depart and he is still alive and tail wagging.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

I have faced that same sort of issue. I am at a loss for an answer. Any relatives or friends that would like free rent to take care of your dog? Maybe at a university college. I is hard to leave someone behind in the unknown. I am trying to take my dog with me but it will be challenging. Can you take her?

Glacier

Quote Originally Posted by glacier48 View Post
    I have faced that same sort of issue. I am at a loss for an answer. Any relatives or friends that would like free rent to take care of your dog? Maybe at a university college. I is hard to leave someone behind in the unknown. I am trying to take my dog with me but it will be challenging. Can you take her?

Glacier
    are you and frickfrack related?

lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    lotsa dogs coming through damascus this year. they all look tired. i hate it when hikers drag thier dogs to dot's and leave them outside on the hot pavement with no water while they're inside having beer and burgers. these folks should leave thier dogs home
    as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit, never let them bother others etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    as usual wolf you are right. just because you own a dog does not mean you should take them hiking. you must go above and beyond if you take your friend. top priority at all times!!! night hike, slow down,give the dog days off at times,first aid kit,etc...my dog was my life!!! trail or no trail,i pampered her her whole life and only ever pushed her on the trail ONE day, ONE time.its sad but that one day keeps popping up in my thoughts now...
    you are an exception. most aren't like you. wish they were.

Default 15-YO dog??

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    Question-If anyone has any suggestions for how to leave your dog back at home while tru-hiking I would love comments. My wife and I are planning a tru-hike and this is the biggest issue....what to do with a 15 year old Jack Russell : (
    To bring up a truth as relevant as it is unpleasant, odds are that pooch doesn't have that much longer. If you're at wit's end with finding a solution for your dog's care that you can accept while away for 6+ months, why not just hold off on your thruhike until your dog passes on in the natural order of things?

Journal Entries
    Images

Because a Jack Russel can live to be 24!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

You mean torment you until it is 24.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    You mean torment you until it is 24.
    24 is nothing cattledogs can live up to 27 ... I'll be pretty much have gone completely crazy by then. Another 20 years
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Default References...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Because a Jack Russel can live to be 24!
    =========================================

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/jackrussellterrier.htm

"Life expectancy (of a JRT): about 15 or more years"
    ===========================================
    http://www.ehow.com/how_9971_care-jack-russell.html

"Be prepared to enjoy a good 15 years with your Jack Russell, as this is the average life expectancy for a Jack Russell terrier"
    ======================================

Just because some men live past 110, doesn't mean that it's the way to bet. So it is with that (obviously loved and lovable) pooch making it 9 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    To bring up a truth as relevant as it is unpleasant, odds are that pooch doesn't have that much longer. If you're at wit's end with finding a solution for your dog's care that you can accept while away for 6+ months, why not just hold off on your thruhike until your dog passes on in the natural order of things?
    FNA!!! the trail ain't going anywhere,dont do that to your dog.

The average lifespan for a species doesn't really give you an accurate prediction of how long an individual will live.

The best solution is to get your wife to stay home with the dog and take your girlfriend on the hike.

Images

He knows something is up because he was "bouncing" around more than usual when I got home....making this much harder. Taking him would be difficult because he has one eye, not the best vision in that eye, and loss of hearing. He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs). He is still full of energy but I do not think he could handle all that would be thrown at him. Hopefully a solution will surface....

Quote Originally Posted by Frick Frack View Post
    He knows something is up because he was "bouncing" around more than usual when I got home....making this much harder. Taking him would be difficult because he has one eye, not the best vision in that eye, and loss of hearing. He has not been on a hike in years (used to do 12+ miles and get home and want to play ball). Most relatives already have their hands full and friends have other dogs (Wiley doesn't care for other dogs). He is still full of energy but I do not think he could handle all that would be thrown at him. Hopefully a solution will surface....
    between the two of you you couldn't carry him once in awhile/often! its not like he's a great dane? doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    doesn't he feel like your kid,would you unload you kid on someone else. don't answer that. in fact if you need another kid we have one. but i would never ditch my best friend, never! i love the appalachian trail but it ain't worth s*** compared to my DOG!
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...php?i=23486&c=

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.

I get a charge out of dogs that sleep like this. Notice the lip/fang interaction.
    you just put a big smile on my face,thankyou! thats my beardog.

thats a beautiful dog!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++