WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
    Hi all, I joined this site a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello! I just quit my full time job as a Microbiologist to start preparing for my thru hike in February (hopefully). I've had it with the rat race and have been wanting to hit the AT since I was 15 (I officially turn 30 in one week). There's so much more that I want to say but I just wanted to intoduce myself and hopefully dig into the other forums soon for some much needed advice.

Aimee AKA Smitten

To Whiteblaze Smitten. You'll find everything you need to know about hiking the AT on this site. I know I did. Congrats on your decision and don't hesitate to ask anything.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Hi all, I joined this site a couple of days ago and thought I'd say hello! I just quit my full time job as a Microbiologist to start preparing for my thru hike in February (hopefully). I've had it with the rat race and have been wanting to hit the AT since I was 15 (I officially turn 30 in one week). There's so much more that I want to say but I just wanted to intoduce myself and hopefully dig into the other forums soon for some much needed advice.

Aimee AKA Smitten
    Very glad to see you here. 99% of the folks in this place are the true salt of the Earth, and will help you in any way they can. Then, unfortunately, there's folks like me*!

---------------------------------------------------

*That was a joke. I kind of do that every now and then.

Journal Entries
    Images

Aimee AKA Smitten
    Welcome aboard Smitten.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I love it here!

Hi I'm a 21 year old student at West Virginia University studying economics. I have always loved the outdoors and have always wanted to go back in time and live like those before modern civilizations. The closet solution to this seems to be to hike the AT. I first heard of the trail from a thru hiker named El Paso who is my freinds older brother. I believe he completed 5 or 6 years ago. The intrigue of the trail brings a fire to my soul. i am very athletic and played sports all through high school. I have never hiked before so I am in the process of collecting the proper equipment for this long journey and planning a smaller hike of like a week through the catoctin mountain trail (only 27 miles but if I keep walking and don't stop it should be sufficient preperation. I don't want to keep rambling....nice to meet everybody! ~ Travis

Default to tatrave

Hi, I used to live in Frederick and in the mountains west of Thurmont. The Maryland trails offer good conditioning for carrying full packs and for building stamina. For the development of mountain climbing muscles, though, nothing beats climbing mountains over a period of several weeks. I hope you have a lot of fun and will not try to break any speed records; there are too many beautiful and interesting sights along the AT that a high speed hiker doesn't get to enjoy.

Thumbs up I'm here!

Just wanted to drop by and say hi

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adaliancruz View Post
    Just wanted to drop by and say hi
    Hi!

So enjoyed your adventure from the rat race, I have same attitude. Starting from Springer in Mar about 15. Maybe the weather here will give you a break on the start. Are you including spike wraps for your boots?
    Welcome to you from another Newbie
    Indy Girl
    cbserafin7
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Well i collect stoves make stoves must alcohol wick pumice stone etc. Hi Zelph me and him did some tea lite stoves like cook rice bake a potato. Well you learn more adout me as we go along and all about you as we go along.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oops56 View Post
    Well i collect stoves make stoves must alcohol wick pumice stone etc. Hi Zelph me and him did some tea lite stoves like cook rice bake a potato. Well you learn more adout me as we go along and all about you as we go along.
    Welcome to WB Oops. Good to see you here.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Hello everyone,

I just found this forum a few days ago after I came home from a trip to Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park on the weekend after the 4th of July.

I am no rookie to the outdoor experience being an ex road bicycle/cross country mountainbiker living in FLAT Central Florida, I spent many miles pedaling my bike in and around the little hills of the Ocala National Forest.

While I was at the park and since I like a good view and a physical challenge (which are way far and few between nowadays) I planned to hike up a short section of the the AT to Hawksbill Trail and to the top of Haswksbill Mountain. Needless to say I was stoked when I got to the top. The combination of sights sounds smells and the endorphine rush was enough to have me loving every moment I was on the trail. The next day I found myself hiking another 1 mile section of the AT where it passes the Big Meadows Lodge.

I got back home (I live in NE Ohio now) and am now hiking through our wonderful metropark systems. It turns out there is the Ohio Buckeye Trail I can do which goes all around the state (I am sure there are a few really nice sections that would be good training). It seems I cant get the AT outta my mind and yes I am considering a thru-hike ( need to get about 40-50 lbs off first tho ). The idea just seems "right". I find myself reading online journals and and hiking forums for all the little nuances about a thru-hike. I am beggining to collect notes on sections, places to eat what to do, the right gear the wrong gear etc. etc. I guess im researching, you could say. I even set a "by when" to Thru-Hikethe AT. The season of 2010, probably starting mid March.

I look forward to all the comments and suggestions I can get. I like to be prepared for whatever I choose to do and with a great group like this, I feel that I can have a succesfull first time thru-hike.

Well, I just wanted to give a feel for the experience I had with the AT, it still is fresh in my mind. I am sure you all have heard it all. Here's just a new take on an old topic.

Thanks for reading,
    Pedalsndirt

Why do you say I am crazy for wanting to wallk 2000 miles? =/

Good luck with your thru-hike and welcome to WB!!

Thanks,

I appreciate it.
    Pedalsndirt

Why do you say I am crazy for wanting to wallk 2000 miles? =/

Images

Talking hey this is notorius tic

Look im new to this hole site, not the comp? check this out please send me instro to returnig mail an saying an posting my STUFF. Read my bio if you think im not 4 real contact me outside of this site at [email protected] pls ty Tell Garry an pepper tic is going back out if anybody knows were carpenter , ghetto blaster, carazy bear are pls contact me . Also im heading to me so if i can find anyone that knows TIC the notorius there is a bunch out there contact me................ im back with a smile an piles of trails deserve smiles safe hiking some body sosiosososososososoos

Being new to this site - I came after TP's closure - I really appreciate having somewhere to go to get my daily trail fix. That being said, I find this site somewhat more difficult to find what I'm looking for, maybe I'm just internet forumly challeneged Anyone have any tips or suggestions on this? Thanx.
    When you're green you're growing, when you're ripe you begin to rot!

Welcome to all the Trailplace refugees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    Being new to this site - I came after TP's closure - I really appreciate having somewhere to go to get my daily trail fix. That being said, I find this site somewhat more difficult to find what I'm looking for, maybe I'm just internet forumly challeneged Anyone have any tips or suggestions on this? Thanx.
    The upper site menu bar has many links for finding things. You are probably most interested in the various forums. On the home page, on the second row of the menu bar is the link to the Forums-far left. If you are not on the home page, it says Home in that space. In that case, click on Home, then go to the Forums.

Threads attempt to follow the forum category names .

Also, some of the items in the top menu bar have pull down menus.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I along with Scrollner, am a former TP(er) and am glad I found this place. While I found this site a few years ago, I just joined a couple weeks ago when WF sent me a PM saying he was intending to leave the trail community. Unfortunately when I asked him what was happening to his site, he said he would announce that later. He told me he planned to close it Labor Day (didn't realize Labor Day came so early this year - is that related to the change in Daylight Savings? ).

Anyway I am glad to be hear and have already met some fantastic people. Looking forward to reconnecting with former TP(ers) and connecting with WB(ers).

Peace be with you
    Peace Be With You

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scrollner View Post
    You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
    Good luck.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it.

[...snip...]

Start walking.
    gawd, we love you, Weasel.
    "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST
    Uncle Silly VA->VT '05, VT->ME '07, VA->GA ??

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++