WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone. This is a great site! While I have never backpacked the AT I have participated in several day hikes on it. Like a lot of other people on here my through hike will have to wait until retirement.

Images

Welcome, Mouse. We all will enjoy having you here!

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Welcome, Mouse. We all will enjoy having you here!The Weasel
    TW, where did you come up with "Mouse?" Better get your eyes checked counselor.
    I would much rather be anywhere on a trail right now
    than just sitting in front of some computer reading about it.

Nice looking site. Just wanted to say hello. I'll post a link to this site from mine.

Cheers

Planning a hike along Shenandoah Mt Trail above Rt. 250. Has anyone hiked this area recently? Wondering about water sources. Only water is at Hiner Springs thinking it may be dry. Only other water would be further along at Ramsey's Draft. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,
    Rick Hancock
    [email protected]

Images

Hello everyone,

Googled this site last night and it is awesome. As a short introduction, I live in Durham, NC. I'm retired Air Force (20 yrs) and have been backpacking since 1973 . . . let's see, that's about 34 years! Longest hike was 300 miles on the PCT (John Muir Trail . . . continuing on PCT from Twauollome (SP?) Meadows to Sonora Pass). I've done many 100 - 200 milers and have section hiked from Springer Mtn to the middle of Virgina. Also have hiked extensively in the Sierra Nevadas (while stationed in CA in the AF), Salmon Trinity Alps, CA, Banff and Jasper Nat'l Parks in Canada, Alaska, the Alps in Germany/Austria/Switzerland, and a 75 mile section of the Long Trail in Vermont.

I'm getting ready to do the approx. 67 miles from Dick's Creek, GA to N.O.C. (Wesser) starting Oct. 20th. Never get tired of the Nantahalas! I usually solo and pack lite, except for my 3-man dome tent which I love! It's a few extra pounds but I don't particularly like sleeping in shelters and love the "spread" this tent allows, especially in nasty weather!

I also love reading my Bible on the trail while appreciating God's awesome Creation!

Blessings,
    John

Images

Just recently found this site, too. Thanks for a great source of information and general banter. I live not too far from Springer, since recently moving to Georgia. I am planning a week on the AT next spring. I've wanted to do this trail for a long time. Maybe one day (read post retirement) I'll have a chance to do it right.

Images

I too am new to this site, hello all and thanks for having me. I am doing some research for a possible 2008 thru hike. Just wondering what reading material would be considered essential before setting foot on Springer. Currently I am reading Long Distance Hiking, Lessons from the Appalachian Trail by Roland Muesser, and Leave No Trace, A Guide to the New Wilderness Ettiquette from Backpacker magazine. Any help would be great, also let me know if this would get better results on a different forum.
    Thank you

GA-ME-04
    Images

All the reading material you need is right here on Whiteblaze. Just explore the sight and you'll find the info that you're looking for.

Default whats up with me

hello all.. new to the site but old friend of the AT. I hiked about 200 miles in 2006 from GA to TN. and came down to visit GA in 2001 and did the approach trail. What wonderful times! I must say I'm pining for the trail once again especially now I'm fallen on hard times in my life. My girlfriend and I of over 10 years have recently split up and I'm in a weird place.

I would jut like to maybe chat with you folks here on trail related issues to rekindle some of that feeling I had. I would aslo like to get back ou on the trail whenever I can. I'm from Connecticut so any partners propositions would be welcomed and considered. I don't have any solid pland for going back out there yet though.

I know there are some people on this site that I know of such as HarlyHogpit and maybe some others. To talk to anyone I met on the tail would be nice. My Trail name was E.T.

to WB

Journal Entries
    Images

could you tell how to post on whiteblaze?
    thanks ,
    cutty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
    could you tell how to post on whiteblaze?
    thanks ,
    cutty
    You just did. By the way,

Images

Hello Everyone

I dream of setting foot onto the AT and will be doing so next spring when I have set aside some time to walk about 50 miles in Virginia.

I know that is just a tiny fraction but we all start somewhere !

If it's OK with you I will have a look around and I am sure that I will have some questions about the sections that I am planning to hike. Any help that you can give me with your local knowledge will be gratefully received.

Warmest regards from Across the Pond

BigStu

Images

to Whiteblaze BigStu. You'll find answers to all your questions, just ask away. Happy Hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
    Hello Everyone

I dream of setting foot onto the AT and will be doing so next spring when I have set aside some time to walk about 50 miles in Virginia.

I know that is just a tiny fraction but we all start somewhere !

If it's OK with you I will have a look around and I am sure that I will have some questions about the sections that I am planning to hike. Any help that you can give me with your local knowledge will be gratefully received.

Warmest regards from Across the Pond

BigStu
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Hello. Total and complete noob, here, and all I can say about this site is, "Wow!"

What a wealth of information and community. I'm looking forward to getting into hiking more and exploring the obviously expansive resources on this site. I've read a few posts so far and everyone seems to be very kind and helpful.

Thanks to the site admins for this awesome resource.

Images

Welcome to WhiteBlaze GMTMinusFive. You will find a lot of good information from some great people here. Enjoy

I think that some of us who've been here awhile and visit just about every day tend to forget that this doesn't describe everyone here.......there are lots of new folks, in fact there are probably new folks every single day.

Just wanted to welcome you all, and encourage you to take part. If you're looking for information on hiking on the A.T., especially if you're looking for information on planning and preparing for a long trip, you've come to the best place on the web.

And we're very happy to have you all here!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. It is a great place to find information and to learn about the trail. Hope to see you all on a trail soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMinusFive View Post
    Hello. Total and complete noob, here, and all I can say about this site is, "Wow!"

What a wealth of information and community. I'm looking forward to getting into hiking more and exploring the obviously expansive resources on this site. I've read a few posts so far and everyone seems to be very kind and helpful.

Don't forget to check all the links in the menu. Lots of great stuff.

Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++