WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default 6 days on the SHT

That really is an unfortunate abbreviation for this trail

Fortune has granted me 6 days on the Superior Hiking Trail in late July, I need to finish up at the southern terminus on the morning of 7/25. Is the trail to Duluth finished or is Two Harbors still the southern end?

I have ordered a set of maps for the trail, but since I like to plan things way far in advance, anyone know how difficult the mileage is? I average somewhere between 12-20 miles/day depending on terrain. I'm guessing I could get near the upper part of that average.

Any information anyone has on great camping spots, or great cheeseburgers, or any other advice is helpful. Thanks!

Images

My mistake, I need to finish the morning of the 26th.

I believe the trail still ends at Danger Castle trailhead, several miles north of Two Harbors.

You can view maps of the trail online at http://www.shta.org/.

It's a great trail with some magnificant views of Lake superior. With the long days you can easily get near 20 miles a day. Egge Lake is a really great place to camp.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Please, please post a trip report on your return. I am incredibly interested in hearing about this trail and it is very much on my life to-do list. Pix too if you can! Thanks! Jane in CT

Images

Thanks for the help bulldog, I'll have to see if Egge Lake fits on my itinerary

Jane I will definitely post a trip report(w/ pix if I remember my camera). I'm looking forward to this, might be my longest hike of the year.

Images

I knew I forgot to ask something, any good trout streams along the southern half of the trail?

I hiked the length of the SHT NOBO in 2006 and SOBO in 2007 (hiking there for fifteen days again starting this Sunday) so I'll take a stab at your questions.

Burgers? Betty's Pies outside Two Harbors, and right at the turn off from Highway 61 to get to the southern terminus, has burgers and many other comfort foods, including their famous pies, I am told. The parking lot has been crammed every time I've driven by.

Great tentsites? My favorites are along rivers (often near rapids or waterfalls) and next to lakes. Here's a list starting south from the midpoint of the trail:

Cross River tentsites (4 of them, around 97 miles from south end)
    Sonju Lake tentsites (2 of them, around 71 miles from south end))
    Egge Lake tentsites (2 of them, around 67 miles from south end)
    Bear Lake tentsite (around 43 miles from south end)
    Beaver River tentsites (2 of them, around 36 miles from south end)
    Split Rock River tentsites (4 of them, around 22 miles from south end)

The SHTA wants people to stick to the official tentsites, and they do such a great job planning, building and maintaining the trail that I'm inclined to follow their policies -- there are over 80 free tentsites, plus 7 state parks where pay campsites can be had, on the 205 mile trail. Each tentsite has a pit toilet.

Where does trail end? Right now just outside Two Harbors at the County Road 301 trailhead (not Castle Danger Road -- that's about 6 miles down the trail). In addition they have constructed 39 miles of trail down around Duluth, but no overnight camping is allowed on that part of the trail so it's not suited for multi-day trips -- it's set up for day hikes. In addition they constructed about 6 miles of new trail last year (will officially open the first weekend this June on National Trails Day) northwest of Two Harbors, but it is not connected to the 205 mile trail yet -- the connector is supposed to be built this year and open next June. And then in future years they will connect this to the Duluth section.

How difficult is the trail? Easier than the AT. Average of around 150 feet of vertical rise per mile hiked, which is about two thirds of a typical AT section. It is equivalent, in rise per mile, to the very easiest part of the AT in West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania. I don't know your abilities so have no way of knowing where you fall in the 12 to 20 mile range. I like to hike a dozen miles a day when I'm adjusting the first week, and then increase that to 14 or 15 a day in the second week, but maybe you have younger legs than I do.

Trout streams? Sorry, don't know. Trout would have a tough time fighting their way up some of the major waterfalls on most rivers up there. You'll see what I mean when you hike it.

I have a description of the trail and brief descriptions of previous hikes on another thread in the "Other Trails" Forum here at WB. I last posted on it a little less than a year ago. "SHT thru-hikers?" is the title of the thread.

Images

Thanks map man! Great information, I'm still trying to plan exactly where I am going to hike, it depends somewhat on where I can get rides to, but it looks like I'll probably go from Temperance State Park south to the Two Harbors terminus. I'll definiteyl check out your other thread.

I really wish I could sneak the few extra days to hike the whole thing, but unless gas prices drop between now and then I don't want to make my friends shuttle me around more than necessary.

http://superiorhikingshuttle.com/

I suggest you consider using the shuttle service. You can begin and end at any trailhead except the two eastern most.

I'd also recommend beginning somewhere around Grand Marais and going west and ending near Finland.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

Thanks bd, do you think I could get them to shuttle me back and forth from Eagle River, WI? I have a commitment there the weekend before the hike that is going to be what keeps from doing it all in one shot.

Who knows what the summer will bring, though. Maybe I'll still have a bunch of vacation days left in September and can make another go at it.

Images

Just as an update to this planned hike, it now appears that I might have as many as 10 days of walking this trail. I now have the maps and the guidebook, the maps are so-so but the guidebook is great.

I am pretty amazed at the elevation profile included on the maps, much more up and down than I would have thought and alot of it looks steep. I am going to aim for 12 mile days and am still thinking of hiking south from Temperance River.

Still looking for more good info on resupply at trail towns etc...

This trail is on my short list. I look forward to hearing more about it.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    This trail is on my short list. I look forward to hearing more about it.
    It in my top 5 of trails to do. My friend did it 2 years ago and loved it.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

cant speak for much of it, but what we did up near boundary waters canoe area was wonderful...
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

1000+ miles down, 1000+ miles to go

I will be starting at the North end of the SHT on Aug. 2nd. Taking 3 weeks to do the whole thing which comes to about 10 miles/day. I'm treating this as sort of a shakedown trip before starting my AT thru in March.
    "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute.
    But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it's longer than any hour.
    That's relativity." --Albert Einstein--

Images

Man, this week has been CRAZY! Until today it looked like I was going to have to cancel, or at least postpone this hike. Now everything appears to be green-lit so I will be packing like a madman tonight so that I can get out of here tomorrow aftermnoon and head NORTH!

Plan now is to hit the shuttle on Saturday morning and get a ride to Temperance River S.P., and hike back to Castle Danger by the 27th. I am allowing 8 days of hiking to cover approx. 105 miles, so about 13 miles per day.

So, what am I forgetting to do? I will call tomorrow and book a spot on the shuttle, I have enough backpacking food in the gear closet to get me through 3-4 days. I'll have my gearlist as I pack so that I will hopefully not forget anything. But if you have any suggestions on must-have stuff, share them today!

Images

Good luck and good walking. Let us know wwhat it was all about.
    Thanks, TH.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default In touch

Would you have access to keeping us UTD while hiking or is that impossible? I'm interested too and if you need support let me know.

Images

I think I set a record time in packing my pack. I have way too much food, as usual.

Mike, you would love my new stove set-up, I can't find the damn cable that connects to the camera or I would post pictures. Basically the Starlyte, windscreen, measuring cup and lighter all fit in a plastic tube that fits perfectly inside of a Heineken pot, it is cool.

I have no idea what cell service is like, but I am going to try and get my Mobile Email working tomorrow. If I can, I'll try and email you some trip reports.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Set-up

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    I think I set a record time in packing my pack. I have way too much food, as usual.

Mike, you would love my new stove set-up, I can't find the damn cable that connects to the camera or I would post pictures. Basically the Starlyte, windscreen, measuring cup and lighter all fit in a plastic tube that fits perfectly inside of a Heineken pot, it is cool.

I have no idea what cell service is like, but I am going to try and get my Mobile Email working tomorrow. If I can, I'll try and email you some trip reports.
    I love the Starlyte so the set-up sounds interesting. If you can email but not connect to the internet, I can post yours here for you.
    Either way, enjoy enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++