WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I passed this place by last summer but heard stories by others about this "neighbor". Sounds like he's got his routine down to a science. This guys devotion and the amount of energy he puts forth to hating hikers is hilarious. Is this "friendly" listed in the guide books for 08? I looked in my 07 companion and i couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Why is that a bad thing?
    IF i ever ran a hostel it would be totally for profit. i've seen what hikers give when asked for donations only. they always have money for beer, dope, restaurants, etc.

Images

When I hiked in 07 I found Greasy Creek Friendly hostel and CC to be very adequate for hikers. I was lucky enough to sleep in the house and could not hear all of the noise reported by those staying in the bunk house. CC was very nice, the food was very good and I was able to do a small resupply. The problem there is the refusal of the Virginia police to do anything about her crazy neighbor. It is hard to believe the she has to put up with his harassment and they will do nothing. She is much more tolerable than I would be.
    Pootz 07

I'm not sure which is worse: the sexist rant or the utter stigmatization of the mentally ill.

A woman has decided to make the best of a bad situation. The problem with the neighbor is a stable one persisting over at least 5 years without bloodshed. Hell, at least it isn't a hostel owner flicking tobacco leaf bits off her front tooth at you.

BTW, the hostel is in NC. No state in the Union would allow police action over noise and signage, unless one could concoct a stalking/harrassment charge from it.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Greasy Creek Friendly in 2006. CC and her husband were still together then, and the neighbor was a little wacked. She was very accomodating though, always willing to cook what we wanted or talk about anything. We got a shuttle from them too, which worked out very smoothly. Yes, she charges tax on everything, but technically anytime you buy something you should be paying tax. The bunk house was a little rustic for my taste, but no more so then others. Overall, I was really happy with my stay there, and we found the neighbor to be quite amusing once we discovered what the situaiton was.

Quote Originally Posted by Pootz View Post
    The problem there is the refusal of the Virginia police to do anything about her crazy neighbor. It is hard to believe the she has to put up with his harassment and they will do nothing. She is much more tolerable than I would be.
    The Virginia police have refused to do anything primarily because the Greasy Creek Friendly is in North Carolina.
    CC is my neighbor, the facts have been reported on this hostel for years, all reports concerning this guy across from her are pretty much true. Make your own decision about staying there or not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Why is that a bad thing?
    It's not a bad thing, just not a realistic way to make a profit. Hikers are hardly a reliable source of income, much less a profit generator. It's like teaching, ya gotta like it cause it sure doesn't pay squat. CC just didn't seem like she liked it all that much.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    It's not a bad thing, just not a realistic way to make a profit. Hikers are hardly a reliable source of income, much less a profit generator. It's like teaching, ya gotta like it cause it sure doesn't pay squat. CC just didn't seem like she liked it all that much.
    oh really? i bet uncle johnny is turning a profit. good for him

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    They are about 25 miles apart trailwise, but a world apart otherwise. Her location is awful even without the neighbor. You can ride a free bike from UJ's and get anything you need.

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    From hikers alone? Or from river rafting? Big difference. Apples and oranges. I'm with Lil Red on hiker business not fully supporting a for-profit trail hostel.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    From hikers alone? Or from river rafting? Big difference. Apples and oranges. I'm with Lil Red on hiker business not fully supporting a for-profit trail hostel.

RainMan

Talking to Richard there, it is more than even those groups. In the winter they have people that live there paying by the week and during races at Bristol they are now getting clients.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

I'm in the process of planning a short section hike from Hughes Gap to 19E, and was going to contact these folks for a shuttle and/or place to stay..............After reading thes eposts, it sounds like the shuttle part may be OK, but the overnite stay, not so much?

Any other input as to shuttle providers in this area?

Thanks.

Images

Sure - UJ is in that area and has a few people on-call to shuttle. North of this place you have Brahmer Castle, the B&B on 19E (I forget the name) and Bob Peoples with Kincora when he is available. I reccomend you look at ATC http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

If UJ's can't shuttle for what ever reason try these guys, Rushing Water Outfitters, www.rushingwateroutfitters.com. I used them last week for a shuttle to Johnson City, they are located next door to UJ's.

Or me. PM sent.

Images

Ya know, not every hostel is gonna be a great place to hang around, take zeros, crash at after a night at the bar. Some hostels are good for a quick stay, then on again. This is just such a hostel.

Hey, I escaped from a thunderstorm, reunited with a friend, had a veggie burger, and stayed up late typing on the Internet and drinking wine. I was happy with my stay.

Sure, there's a weird vibe there. It's not a good situation, with the neighbor, and now, sorry to hear, the divorce. But if you're in the area and there's a thunderstorm coming, it's good to know she's there.

I'm with you Pokey.

I'd hate for hikers to avoid the Friendly because of the misbehavior of her neighbor - misbehavior that isn't much different from the drums and music of Trail Days - just with a nasty attitude.

So far, only esthetic issues are a problem with the neighbor. The Friendly has a business discipline that would have done Miss Janet well (well, not so rigid, but you know what I mean).

I had a pretty nice stay there in 2006. CC was still with her husband then and we all had a good visit. The neighbor's dog just about scared the poop out of me, but other than that I didn't really have any complaints. I probably wouldn't go back, though, for the reasons other mentioned--that it's so close to Erwin, and also that 0.6 miles seemed a lot longer because I wasn't sure if I was on the right side trail.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfarrell04 View Post
    I'm in the process of planning a short section hike from Hughes Gap to 19E, and was going to contact these folks for a shuttle and/or place to stay..............After reading thes eposts, it sounds like the shuttle part may be OK, but the overnite stay, not so much?

Any other input as to shuttle providers in this area?

Thanks.
    It would actually work better if you get a shuttle from Mountain Harbour BB&H since they are next to the 19E trailhead. One reason, you do not want to leave your car overnight at 19E.

Mountain Harbour are good folk. They have shuttle/parking combo prices. I believe they just need a days notice to reserve a shuttle.

Greasy Creek is actually a few miles southbound of Hughes Gap.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Wink Nice Stay

My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++