WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Short Term View Post
    My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.
    I remember running into you all at Cherry Gap. You should have seen me running back to Iron Mtn Gap that evening with the incoming lightning & thunderstorm.

I was wondering how you were going head up Roan with that knee.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

I remember.... As you can tell, we didn't make. It was a wise, but hard choice for us to call the hike, but I lived to hike another day on TWO legs. We told you about the trashed gap we had just hiked through, I can't remember the name of the gap. ...and I remember, that was a tough storm.

Default Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel

Three of us stayed at the this hostel on a wet dreary June day.This proved to be one of the highlights of our entire AT experience! The hostel was absolutely spotless and the woman running this facility is an absolute delight!Connie or CC regaled us with jokes and and a show starring her cat.She also cooked dinner and breakfast at prices that were absolutely rediculously cheap! Her neighbor did not bother us one bit, only the barking of his dogs when we left.Ya, the shower pressure was a bit weak,but she also did laundry for us,talked about the next section of trail,and made us feel very welcome,hated to leave!How anyone can say they had a bad experience is beyond me! This place was not easy to find but well worth the the half mile walk!

Images

I stayed there and had an excellent time. I kind of liked the fact that the place wasn't overrun with other hikers. In fact, we stayed there for a night again after Trail Days (long story). The neighbor is an idiot, but we were ready for him on the second visit. We picked-up some lawn chairs and set our alarms. By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.

Nothing like a good mocking to start the day.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I stayed there and had an excellent time. I kind of liked the fact that the place wasn't overrun with other hikers. In fact, we stayed there for a night again after Trail Days (long story). The neighbor is an idiot, but we were ready for him on the second visit. We picked-up some lawn chairs and set our alarms. By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.

Now thats cool.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.
    Kudos on your creative response!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

The worst part is that I later discovered the ijut is deaf. Had I known beforehand, we could have made big signs like at sporting events so he could have understood our taunts.

Live and learn.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Brite View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Greasy Creek Friendly in 2006. CC and her husband were still together then, and the neighbor was a little wacked. She was very accomodating though, always willing to cook what we wanted or talk about anything. We got a shuttle from them too, which worked out very smoothly. Yes, she charges tax on everything, but technically anytime you buy something you should be paying tax. The bunk house was a little rustic for my taste, but no more so then others. Overall, I was really happy with my stay there, and we found the neighbor to be quite amusing once we discovered what the situaiton was.
    I was also there in 06. I share Rainbow Brite's sentiments. I and several other thru-hikers drove to Traildays with CC at the wheel. All of us had a good time. Although I found her eccentric and somewhat reserved, she always seemed nice, accomodating, patient, and willing to have a deep conversation. She seemed like a very honest person with a conscience. Hence, keeping records of taxable income. I don't have a problem wit folks who run a hostel to make a profit. She was still married. I never had a problem with the shower. I don' t think she accepts packages, but I could be wrong. It would seem that a full typical resupply might be better served at one of the nearby resupply pts. at places with greater services and amenities. The place is rustic, it doesn't have the amenities that some hostels have, but for just a night out of the rain, some delicious non-dehydrated trail food, or a less then whirlwind "zero" day the place is deserving of a possible visit.

Now, there you go. All depends on how you roll with it. It's experiences like this that make hiking the AT that much more memorable!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    IF i ever ran a hostel it would be totally for profit. i've seen what hikers give when asked for donations only. they always have money for beer, dope, restaurants, etc.
    You got that right. Except that you might temper it with many, most, or something like that. You are a hiker, too, but you and I understand that the right way to get what you want is to give someone else what he/she wants. In this case it's money.
    Now, if we all gave each other what we think the other deserves, we'd all end up in the big house.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Thumbs up Cc

I stayed there on my way through and CC is wonderful, her bunkhouse is great and her food....she has a menu on the table and everything on it rocks! Sorry, I didn't read this entire thread..but I had a wonderful stay at Greasy Creek FRIENDLY. I even hiked back up the mountain and returned with some friends who also stayed. The Shroom Burgers were top notch! As for the nutjob...he makes the stay all the better.
    When he realized that he wasn't bothering us and that we were amused by his 4:30 am chainsaw, lawnmower and hammering..he gave up and went inside. We took pictures and played some drums along to his beat...wonderful experience and he's a gem of a person who has the most tolerant neighbor in the world. Hats off to CC and Greasy Creek.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Images

A really nice place. Connie is very gracious and very chatty. She remembered you, Ramble~On. You must have made a good impression.She loves hikers and I reccomend her highly. Her neighbor greeted us with the loud music but he had to go towork early.

She puts on a great cat show.

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Is that cat overfed???

Shelter mice would have no chance.

Exclamation Greasy Creek Friendly... Don't be scared !

I was there... and found Connie's place to be truly friendly... The neighbor is Hostile toward hikers... but not violent apparently... Nothing violent has ever happened.... Unfortunately... If hiker's quit going there... ( as per your suggestion )... Then the ******* wins, and gets his way... Miss Connie and her friends are true blue AT friends.. Your suggestion would isolate them even more... I say if any hikers are in the area BE SURE TO STOP BY Miss Connie's place... and wave and be friendly to everyone even the mean neighbor.. Don't let the Jerk get his way... Miss Connie sheltered and cared for about a 1/2 dozen sick hikers while I was there including myself... We had the Nolachuckies flu... lol .. There is plenty of camping sites behind Miss Connie's cottage.. much more peaceful... No light s will bother you there, and you can camp by the creek which drowns out sound... Who the heck wants to stay in a bunkhouse with stinky snoring hikers, anyway? I really recommend this place and am so glad I stopped... I wish nothing but the best for them... Stop at Greasy Creek if you get a chance.... thx HolySmoke !

I only 'visited' there to leave the car on a day hike. She was welcoming to me and accommodating, the other hikers I met at the end of the day seemed quite content in her house. She seemed a bit eccentric, but hey, that's not so rare, given her circumstances/situation.
    As far as her neighbor goes, I did encounter the dogs, but again, nothing unusual. Find it hard to believe, based on the behavioral description, that he's schizophrenic, as most folks with this illness don't go to all that trouble to irritate others. Sociopath, he very well might be, and makes him all the more dangerous. Too bad law enforcement chooses to ignore him.
    I am a section hiker and will encounter Greasy Creek hostel again, probably only for a shuttle, but I will not hesitate.

We stopped at Connie's place Thursday night and had a great time. She was a wonderful host, very friendly and accommodating. Food was great, one of the best salads on the AT. Made a delicious chocolate b-day cake for my wife. The neighbor did not cause any problems while we were there other than his morning ride to the mailbox at 5:00, 6:00, and 7:00am.

Don't let the neighbor scare you away, we had a great stay!

Images

when i hiked thru that section their was a handwritten sign that read "Hiking warning Bed Bugs" and a pile of trees and brush was blocking the trail, making it hard to figure out exactly which direction the hostile was. must have been sabotage from the neighbor

Journal Entries
    Images

Really sad and dissapointing to hear about... I forget where is Greasy Creek?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Really sad and dissapointing to hear about... I forget where is Greasy Creek?
    Just north of Erwin, TN.

And the GCF was a great stay for me and my daughter.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

It was raining and I decided to go there when trying a thru. It was just me and another person there, and since I am allergic to cats I ended up sleeping outside in my tent anyways (in the woods, 100 yards from the house....for like $10). I was then woke up about 4 times throughout the night/morning by this neighbor (NPR/Lawnmower/Music...) She just told me that he wouldn't try to hurt me, only scare me. Pretty nice lady....but definably in my top 3 worst experiences on the trail.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++