WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

CeeCee is an interesting and generous person.

It is helpful for future hikers that you pointed out that if you are allergic to cats....beware!!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah that dude was out in the middle of the night when I was in the hostel (from 4 AM on, supposedly, is what Connie said). I wore earplugs. Didn't hear a thing.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Default You all should be ashamed of yourselves

Greasy Creek is a wonderful place and always has been. If you don't like barking dogs and mountain people then go back to your suburb or whatever it is that tickles your pickle. Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given and I think she is doing very well. Yes, she makes you shower upon arrival! If you were hiking you probably are dirty!!! Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!! Its a luxury for a thru hiker and we will gladly ride a hour to a all you can eat buffet. Yes, Bill the neighbor is crazy. But we are as well...were at a strangers house in the middle of nowhere...think about it in his shoes. Ignore it he is harmless and will die soon, it makes a fun story to tell. I stayed for 4 days and helped renovate and dig gardens for Connie. She is just trying to make a living like all of us. Fact of the matter is.... Connie is wonderful and had a heart of gold. All the thru hikers loved her this year. Her dog is wonderful. Section hikers are crybabies and need not judge Greasy Creek is a taste of real Appalachia life and the struggles of a single divorced woman who live ALONE in the woods. Felt like home. 9 out of 10 Don't take a weekend to judge a hostel...stay and help or dodge a tornado or freak snow and share stories... Connie came to trail days to come see all the hikeds who passed thru the hostel. She isn't in it for the money. I know... She let us stay free because the tornadoes that were passing thru were really bad and I think she wanted the company. I LOVE GREASY CREEK!! CONNIE WOULD HELP ANY OF YOU.

I was there this summer and the feud continues. Did not see the neighbor or his "rabid dogs", but did hear his 0530 wakeup call. CC was accomodating and kind. A few issues with water pressure etc., but nothing that any other house on a gravity feed system might run into. Bunkhouse was comfortable. Would not avoid the place if I were in the area again.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kip wing View Post
    Greasy Creek is a wonderful place and always has been. If you don't like barking dogs and mountain people then go back to your suburb or whatever it is that tickles your pickle. Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given and I think she is doing very well. Yes, she makes you shower upon arrival! If you were hiking you probably are dirty!!! Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!! Its a luxury for a thru hiker and we will gladly ride a hour to a all you can eat buffet. Yes, Bill the neighbor is crazy. But we are as well...were at a strangers house in the middle of nowhere...think about it in his shoes. Ignore it he is harmless and will die soon, it makes a fun story to tell. I stayed for 4 days and helped renovate and dig gardens for Connie. She is just trying to make a living like all of us. Fact of the matter is.... Connie is wonderful and had a heart of gold. All the thru hikers loved her this year. Her dog is wonderful. Section hikers are crybabies and need not judge Greasy Creek is a taste of real Appalachia life and the struggles of a single divorced woman who live ALONE in the woods. Felt like home. 9 out of 10 Don't take a weekend to judge a hostel...stay and help or dodge a tornado or freak snow and share stories... Connie came to trail days to come see all the hikeds who passed thru the hostel. She isn't in it for the money. I know... She let us stay free because the tornadoes that were passing thru were really bad and I think she wanted the company. I LOVE GREASY CREEK!! CONNIE WOULD HELP ANY OF YOU.
    I agree with everything you said but you can keep your sterotyping to yourself, I'm a section hiker & prefer to hike that way, I stayed there a few weeks ago & had a great stay. As far as section hikers vs thru hikers go unfortunately it is a few bad apple, big ego thru hikers who give hikers in general bad names, there are many stories on here to back that up by trashing & stiffing hostels. All the section hikers I cross on the path seem extremely happy & helpful. It's pretty simple, respect & be respected.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

...Section hikers are crybabies ....
    Seems you are doing the crying here. What's with the brain-dead stereotyping?

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Ok, im guilty of stereotyping and I apologize. But I stick with CONNIE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! YAY and I hope everyone has a good hike day soon

I had talked to her a couple times when planning our section hike last May. She was very pleasant. It turned out that everyone in our group decided to stay on the trail. I did meet Connie briefly at the road crossing just before the Roan climb as she was dropping off a hiker. She seemed just as pleasant in person as on the phone.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Ok, im guilty of stereotyping and I apologize. But I stick with CONNIE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! YAY and I hope everyone has a good hike day soon
    Apology accepted. And you are right.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given .... Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!!
    Yes, Connie is amazing. She is a wonderful hostess and a genuinely great person. But I dispute your facts. The unfriendly neighbor was there at least 10 years before Connie moved in. So saying she "is just trying to play out the cards she has been given" might be a bit misleading. The town of Roan Mountain is ~15 miles from the Greasy Creek Friendly. Many hikers resupply here. It is not an easy drive but it is not nearly a three hour round trip drive. I know. I drove it last month.

Images

I said it before and I'll say it again. I love Connie.

We had a great stay. I bet you wish that you were Connie's cat.

Love you, Connie
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Holy moly....that's a big cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again. I love Connie.

We had a great stay. I bet you wish that you were Connie's cat.

Love you, Connie
    She needs to feed that cat once in a while...kinda poorly lookin.

I dropped by Greasy Creek this spring to get supplies and had lunch. People were nice enough but the place was too far off the trail for what they had for supplies, I'd keep going next time.

She's nice... we stayed there with her 1 night... she made a birthday cake for my daughter. ( I had asked her to do that as a surprise ahead of time)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    She's nice... we stayed there with her 1 night... she made a birthday cake for my daughter. ( I had asked her to do that as a surprise ahead of time)
    I can "DITTO" what HikerMom wrote. My daughter and I stayed there. Call a week or so ahead and she'll add what you need to her weekly grocery store list. She's a sweet lady.

RainMan

Images

Her cat ran away (possibly her neighbor ate it).
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Yeah i stayed their in 06 and had a really tough time with the neighbor, but C.C seemed really nice but it was one heck of a climb back up to the AT the next morning. I didn't stay their on this years THRU mainly because of the rude ass neighbor and the climb back to the AT.

Greasy Creek Friendly was one of my most memorable stays on the entire trail!

Journal Entries

I didnt stay there, but the persons I met that did had good things to say. And the usual story about the lawnmower neighbor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++