WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Will Greasy Creek Friendly still be open this year?

The sign at the gap (was there December 28) indicated that they were always open (and ignore the fake signs posted by the infamous neighbor). Baltimore Jack also told me at Kincora that Connie was open for business.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
    Will Greasy Creek Friendly still be open this year?
    You could call her and ask.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

very well said Rain Man...i had the same experience while hiking in early February of this year...

Connie is a very nice and caring lady, but what everyone must understand is that she has been thru a lot in the last few years

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I just stayed at Greasy Creek and we LOVED it. Connie runs a very warm and welcoming hostel that was one of the best experiences we've had at a hostel. Thankful her infamous neighbor did not bother us other than shining his very bright flashlight at the door of the hostel around 5:00am. I didn't care and went back to sleep. Here's a bit of detail if anyone's interested:

We arrived cold and wet from a rainy, cold day. Connie:

Got us situated in the hostel right away and invited everyone to come inside, even our dog (we declined that part).
    She had a fire going in her cook stove and took our socks and hung them up to dry in front of the fire
    Gave us newspaper to ball up and put in our shoes so we could hasten their drying by the stove.
    Shared some of her food with everyone who was there though there was plenty of food we could have (and did) bought
    Braided my girls hair after their shower. Um, wow.
    Provided us with camp shoes to use while our shoes dried
    Had extra clothes in case we needed them while we took a shower
    And more...

One small note is that it can be a bit unsettling trying to find the hostel on the old jeep trails. Plus the infamous neighbor likes to post misleading signs and rip down hers. We left wooden sticks and rocks in the shape of arrows at all of the intersections but I'll post the specific directions here for any who might be interested in stopping in:

When you arrive at the gap NOBO turn hard right and take the jeep trail down. If you arrive SOBO in the clearing take a slight left and continue down.
    The guide says to take the "1st left". This is technically correct but there are other trails that may look like candidates. If it isn't down don't take it and if it looks to cross the creek don't take it. Just keep going down.
    The metal gate the guide talks about is the kind the forest service has across roads. It's got the big long bar on top with an angled bar underneath down to the metal post holding it all up. It's not a cattle gate or similar.
    Enjoy!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I just stayed at Greasy Creek and we LOVED it. Connie runs a very warm and welcoming hostel that was one of the best experiences we've had at a hostel. Thankful her infamous neighbor did not bother us other than shining his very bright flashlight at the door of the hostel around 5:00am. I didn't care and went back to sleep. Here's a bit of detail if anyone's interested:

We arrived cold and wet from a rainy, cold day. Connie:

Got us situated in the hostel right away and invited everyone to come inside, even our dog (we declined that part).
    She had a fire going in her cook stove and took our socks and hung them up to dry in front of the fire
    Gave us newspaper to ball up and put in our shoes so we could hasten their drying by the stove.
    Shared some of her food with everyone who was there though there was plenty of food we could have (and did) bought
    Braided my girls hair after their shower. Um, wow.
    Provided us with camp shoes to use while our shoes dried
    Had extra clothes in case we needed them while we took a shower
    And more...

One small note is that it can be a bit unsettling trying to find the hostel on the old jeep trails. Plus the infamous neighbor likes to post misleading signs and rip down hers. We left wooden sticks and rocks in the shape of arrows at all of the intersections but I'll post the specific directions here for any who might be interested in stopping in:

When you arrive at the gap NOBO turn hard right and take the jeep trail down. If you arrive SOBO in the clearing take a slight left and continue down.
    The guide says to take the "1st left". This is technically correct but there are other trails that may look like candidates. If it isn't down don't take it and if it looks to cross the creek don't take it. Just keep going down.
    The metal gate the guide talks about is the kind the forest service has across roads. It's got the big long bar on top with an angled bar underneath down to the metal post holding it all up. It's not a cattle gate or similar.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks FarmerChef... good to know. We've stayed with Connie before... she's very nice!

Sorry , but someone may need to pay the neighbor a visit.... with a roll of dimes in a bandana........

I too had a bad experience with the neighboor when myself and two other SOBO's stayed there in Jan. after some cold, snowy, rainy walking! Wack job came out of his house when I set my gear down on CC's lawn yelling at me saying he was going to get his gun and call the police because I was near his property! I retorted to said wack-job; I was just the hiker he needed to come out and harass, informing him that he would not scare a many times over war vet with his bs and if need be, shoot then call the cops. I also said some other choice words that seemed appropriate and will not repeat on here at this time! Don't let that old, crossbred/inbred degenerate deter you from her establishment like he has been trying to do for years. He wins every time hikers pass her place because they are afraid or don't want to deal with his bs! More should walk that extra 1.1 so that their presence in itself says we support CC and would like you to... PISS OFF!

CC was great... she made us the food we wanted , had great treats and is not afraid to tell you the history of that place and I would stop there time and time again! CC has one of those kind hearts who just can't bear to see anyone else suffer, even though she does at times get crapped on by others. I think CC will be there long after that turd gets flushed down the toilet!

Images

He's pretty deaf, so he may not have heard you. Connie's great. Seeing the weird neighbor is part of the experience.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Short Term View Post
    My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.
    This, especially the last few sentences is how I feel about the trail, and why I love the AT. For one I just walked thru here to CC's on saturday and yes the dog barked. He was contained in his fence and my 95 pound lab pit grimmaced and walked on past him. I feel sorry for the old angry man at the end of the road...But not scared of him. If it has been an issue since as far back as 05' and earlier? probably not a real threat just an annoyance. I did however meet Miss CC! And let me tell ya what a sweet lady! She did not want to break the sabath rule but insisted on giving us a free ride and at the car I said I wanted to donate to the GCF and she accepted. Connie has a lot to talk about, and alot goin on but what a sweet lady Here is my suggestion, Dont stay in the shed because I like my Hilleberg lol, leave plenty of time to hear about Connies poems, book and age old history of the area. respect her rules. And enjoy the crazy bizaar life that those two people at the end of the road share because personally I think its a hoot.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Connie is a warm caring gentle soul, not that she doesn't have her peculiarities, offering shelter, a cot, use of a computer, a shower, and good meals at a reasonable price. My Greasy Creek Hostel stays proved to me that it isn't always the most lavish of hostels that make for a memorable AT hiking experience. I've stopped twice, both times in downpours, and would gladly do so again! She personally cooks and serves what I consider a conscientiously prepared fresh healthy meal. In short, she's good people to break bread with. I agree, the neighbor isn't going to keep me from visiting Connie. It's part of the ambiance.

Being a good teacher, Connie enthusiastically taught me how Greasy Crk got it's name(it's prolly not what you think) and Jewelweed. She showed me how the jewelweed jelly helped stop me from itching at my mild case of poison ivy and how it got it's name when a leaf went into the water turning it into a silvery diamond that the American Indians sometimes used as a fishing lure. It's those kind of things I remember the most not the MPD avgs, type of gear I had, the mice/bears, etc. It puts a smile on my face thinking about people like Connie and staying at Greasy Ck Hostel. For me, that's why I hike.

http://www.thenaturelabs.com/article.php?id=36

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Driving to Greasy Creek Friendly

Assuming you want to start or end your hike at the Greasy Creek, and thus you want to drive to that place, here's the directions -- complete with photos.

First, here are links to useful maps:
    https://tinyurl.com/Unicoi2NC
    https://tinyurl.com/Buladean2

We'll assume that you're starting from Interstate 26, south of Johnson City in Tennessee. Specifically, Exit 32, Tennessee State Highway 173 into the city of Unicoi.
    Drive east on Highway 173 into Unicoi, and it will soon merge with State Highway 107. Continue east on 107 (for some reason, signs for Highway 173 disappear), staying on that road as Highway 173 veers off to the left.
    You'll go up the hill on Highway 107. When you reach the crest, you're at Iron Mountain Gap, where the A.T. crosses this road, and entering North Carolina, where the highway is now numbered 226. Note that there is no signs at the crest indicating any of these facts.
    You're now going southeast on NC State Highway 226 as you go down the hill. Eventually you'll reach the town of Buladean.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62860
    The first road after you see the sign for this town is Hughes Gap Road, and this is where you turn left -- which is the only choice you have.
    Note that, although Google{R} Maps show that this is also County Road 1330, there is no sign indicating that -- so just watch for Hughes Gap.
    Soon after you turn on Hughes Gap Road, you'll come to Greasy Creek Road.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62859
    Again, turn left here, which is (again) your only choice. And again, this is also County Road 1355, but there is no sign indicating that.
    Keep going up Greasy Creek Road, bypassing the various roads that veer off this street. It was hard for me at times to tell which road is Greasy Creek and which wasn't but, if you make a mistake, you'll quickly recognize that fact and be able to continue up Greasy Creek.
    You'll see various buildings as you continue, but you won't be at "Friendly" until you're at the 1827 address.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62858
    Just turn left into the driveway -- and you're there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Getting from The Trail to Greasy Creek Friendly

During my ridiculously short, SOBO hike last week, I parked my car at Greasy Creek Friendly ($2 per night), got shuttled to my starting point, and then had to walk back to CGF. This means I had to know (1) when I was at Greasy Creek Gap and (2) which way to go once I got there. Task (1) was quite simple -- it's almost impossible to NOT know you're at a gap with jeep roads leading away. But even with an excellent sense of direction -- I knew that going south on The Trail meant I had to turn left -- I still wasn't 100% certain I had made the right choice till I was at the walkway from GCF. That's a long way for me to be uncertain about this!
    So, I chose to help the next hikers who need to choose the right way to go.

As others have noted, the main PROBLEM that occurs at this gap is that, when you traveling TRAIL north, you are (pretty much) going COMPASS south. This schematic shows the potential for trouble:
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62869
    Thus, if you read the guide books that tell you the GCF is "east" of the A.T., and you use your compass to determine which way is "east," you'll go in the wrong direction!
    So I'll just give these instructions:
    (1) If you're going north on the A.T. and you've just left Highway 226 at Iron Mountain Gap, then you'll turn RIGHT at the gap to get to Greasy Creek.
    (2) If you're going south on the A.T. and you've just left the Clyde Smith Shelter, then you'll turn LEFT at the gap to get to Greasy Creek.

Another clue: the blue-blazed trail, the one that goes to Tiger Creek, is the WRONG trail. Always remember -- don't take the blue-blazed trail!
    Also, there was a road going away from the gap that seemed to more directly connect to this blue-blazed trail. I have no idea where it goes (if anywhere), but don't take it, either.

If, like me, you're heading south on the A.T., you'll see a large fire ring at the camp site at Greasy Creek Gap.
    Neither of the "wrong" trails can be seen from this large fire ring. If you are wondering if a road going down from the gap is the one to take, just ask yourself if you can see this fire ring as it starts to go down. If not, then it's probably NOT the one you want!
    Near this fire ring is a tree with small arrows.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62868
    There may also be arrows on a tree as you go north on The Trail, but I didn't look.
    But the arrows are correct -- follow them to the road that goes down.

An even better indicator of the direction is a sign stating specifically which way to Greasy Creek and which way to Tiger Creek.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62867
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62866
    Again, as these photos show, this sign is close to the fire ring; but the sign is NOT visible from the "wrong" trails.
    If the large fire ring is at your back, and the sign is in front of you, then walk to your RIGHT to the road to GCF.
    Note that this sign COULD be removed by someone. If you don't notice a sign near the fire ring, look instead for the rock pile that the sign would be standing in.

Okay, now you're going down a road that you're pretty certain is the right one. But you want to be MORE certain. What can help is to look for blazes of this color
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62865
    Some of these markings are on rocks, some are on trees. If you see them, you're okay.

Okay, now you're absolutely certain you're on the right road going down from the gap. How do you make certain that you don't get off this path? Some hints:
    (1) The road to GCF always goes DOWN the hill. If a path would take you up-hill, just ignore it.
    (2) The road to GCF NEVER crosses the creek to your right. You'll notice a few places where someone has walked (driven a jeep??) to the creek, but (unless you want water), this isn't the way to go.
    (3) The road to GCF is ALWAYS the most heavily-trod one. If you see a path that doesn't seem to have had major traffic on it, that is NOT the way to go.

Okay, you're smart enough to stay ON the road -- how do you know where you get OFF?
    You will see several dilapidated (abandoned?) structures as you walk down. If there's a fence, or no easy way to get to these structures, just keep walking.
    Eventually you'll find a metal, swinging gate that would cover the entire jeep road. It was wide open when I got there, it may be closed for you. But this is a clue to get ready for the next marker.

Just before you get to GCF, you'll see this gate on your left.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62864
    It's pretty obvious that the owner of this property does NOT want people to come through this gate, so just don't.
    I half-expected to see the classic sign: "No trespassing! Violators will be shot! Survivors will be shot a second time!!"

Just past this gate is the entrance to GCF on your right.
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62863
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62862
    There's no fence or gate, so it's equally obvious that the owner DOES want people to come down this path.
    When you do, expect a warm greeting from Ceasy!
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 07-29-2018 at 22:32.

Stayed at Greasy Creek on my section hike last October (2018). It was a lifesaver. Walked in there SOBO, having left Round Bald that morning. I was exhausted after a rough night at Round Bald. The view was beautiful from Round Bald but the winds were dern near gale force all night as the remnants of Hurricane Michael was passing through. The temps dropped into the upper 30s. I was expecting lows in the 50s. Survived the night and spent day walking south, looking forward to staying indoors. Walked into Greasy Creek about 5ish. The proprietors were very hospitable. My room was clean and comfortable. They fed me a great breakfast early the next morning and bid me on my way early, as I had requested. It was worth the half mile walk down from the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went down for a small resupply (didn't stay) before heading up Roan the next day in pouring rain and what turned out to be the worst winter weather I experienced on trail in mid April! (ok well except the climb up Katahdin above tree line and to the top at the end...).

My plan was a big day through the highlands from the bottom of Roan and my buddy was picking me up at 19E. I heard about the weather and figured I better get a little extra stuff and give myself 2 days - glad I did. I made it up to the Roan shelter early afternoon in pouring rain and wind, I was soaked, temps were dropping and I'm glad I stayed. Woke up the next morning to a line of snow that came in the upper part of that shelter, must have been through a ridge vent. Snow on the ground and snowing with high winds. My socks were frozen solid, I had to have them under my seating pad for a few to be able to put them on, shove my feat in my frozen shoes and get moving.

20s, snow and windy all day to the Barn Shelter (it wasn't all day but no way I was making 19E), where I took the wrong trail. I'm thinking this seems like a lot longer then it should be. I had read the barn is in a big field area and I just hiked up this big long hill to a big field area, I get up over the hump and see it's just one big open, empty field.... then I turn around and way in the distance, way lower in elevation, I see the Barn Shelter - that was a kicker! …. so I remember telling myself "alright, don't freak out and start pushing it back trying to find the place like a mad man, sweating and getting yourself in a worst situation" … and of course that's exactly what I did. I'm going this way, that way, putting my pack down and running down trails trying to see if it's the right one. Finally made it and stupid me thought the blue blaze was just to water (the shelter is beyond) and I took that historic battle trail getting all mixed up. It was so cold up there I had most of my layers on hiking that got a little moist from my pushing it and sweating but I was able to get all bundled up in my bag and let it all dry with body heat while still keeping warm - good old merino wool.

The next day started the same but cleared up after Big Bald. The wind was so strong going up Big Bald I literally had to stop at least 10 times with my back against the wind and trekking poles planted in front of me - almost got blown over several times. Different world when I got down to 19E and my buddy picked me up for a zero (up to Grandfather Mountain!) and some much needed recouping. That was a crazy experience and one of my favorite parts of the trail.

---on second thought my original plan was the bottom of Roan to the Barn, then 19E the next day.... I had to make it 2 days from bottom of Roan (or a few miles prior) to 19E.

---I also should have added how nice she was, making me her burgers her way with the toasted buns rather then the do-it-yourself microwave style. I had a few things to eat and a small resupply, there was really just snacks n stuff there, not meant as a resupply spot. She was very nice and accommodating for the short time I was there and wouldn't let me go without a picture of me for her page, like every hiker that goes through. Very clean to, wouldn't let any hiker in her place without bringing them straight to wash there hands first. It's the kind of place you wish you had more time to hang around...
    Last edited by LazyLightning; 08-05-2019 at 23:27.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++