Quote Originally Posted by Short Term View Post
My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.
I remember running into you all at Cherry Gap. You should have seen me running back to Iron Mtn Gap that evening with the incoming lightning & thunderstorm.

I was wondering how you were going head up Roan with that knee.