WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel

Last Saturday night I, (along with 8 other hikers who came in throughout the afternoon), elected to hike the .06 of a mile off the trail to the Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. Unfortunately this did not turn out to be a pleasant stay. For those of you contemplating going to this hostel please know these facts as told to me by the proprietor Connie or CC. She has had years of trouble with her neighbor....it is a little like walking into the argument of the Hatfield's and the McCoy's! His property borders the USFS road that is across from her property. According to Connie...."He is a paranoid Schizophrenic that I have taken to court on numerous occassions for harrassement!" Also...she added the word 'friendly' into the name because she has 'hostel' across the street! Great...just what I want to hear! Throughout the afternoon and evening....neighbor Bill....blasted country music from 'camoflaged' speakers on an outbuilding that sat close to the road and faced the bunkhouse.....would ride his motorcycle on the gravel road so that he might position himself where he could sit and race the engine and glare at the hikers or position the bike in a way that after dark the headlamp would be shining on the bunkhouse or get up at 5:30 in the morning and start his bike...ride down the road and then yell at the bunkhouse....something like "oh you come on out little boy" (he said this twice)... or jump on his riding lawn mower with the engine cover propped open with a 1 x 2 at 6 in the morning....we did have from midnight until 5:30am that was peaceful. When I asked Connie why she has not put a stop to this ...she said law enforcement would not even answer her calls and Bill has hired her lawyer....so....she just ignores and goes on. I was quite upset that she continues to accept this situation and does not seem to understand the position she is placing herself and other people in. In my opinion it is her responsibility to understand the possibility of harm that might occur and quite frankly told her so. (oh the man also has two large dogs that "he has taught to hate hikers" according to Connie ....they bark and run up and down the fence row when someone is out....heaven forbid one of them get out of the fence!) The other hikers who were there with me and I agree that this situation has the makings for some serious problems so.....beware.....I would not advise others going there.....there are some other odd happenings that went on there as well that I won't bring up at this time but just know.....this hostel is not run by a couple as advertised...she has been divorced for a year now...and you pay tax on everything....and you will be asked to shower in the order in which you appear at the hostel...and shuttles are only run by her and at times she determines.....dinner runs to town will take three hours if you go to Johnson City.....just a really odd and not necessarily hiker friendly place. Hopefully Connie will turn this situation around but in the meantime.......hmmmmm....but in the meantime.....I won't go there again!

Images

The thing with the neighbor is not new. I met someone last year who had to duck a snowstorm there and was barely able to sleep because of the neighbor.

Sorry to hear about the divorce. Not surprising given the difficulties of the location and their isolation.

The problems with the neighbor may relate to illness, with state interest only after a tragedy has occurred, sort of like Virginia Tech's experience.

Images

I've heard from at least one person staying there that the neighbor is a huge problem, but the Hostel itslf really isn't that great either. Bluebelle, aside from the neighbor issues, what was your read?
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Saved me from hypothermia in 2005... maybe it was too cold for the neighbors to come out? I thought they were really nice.

My experience with a late November hike was a nice warm shower and meal, but not anything that was essential. It is so close to Erwin as to be a pretty pointless stop.

Images

I stopped there in 2006. The husband was gone then. The neighbor was just as bad, doing the things reported here and the hike was a lot longer, down a steep, washed out, rocky road, than the .6 miles in the guide book. I got nickled and dimed to death, including refills on coffee. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, not for love of the trail, as many hostel owners tend to be. I'm surprised she's still in business.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    I stopped there in 2006. The husband was gone then. The neighbor was just as bad, doing the things reported here and the hike was a lot longer, down a steep, washed out, rocky road, than the .6 miles in the guide book. I got nickled and dimed to death, including refills on coffee. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, not for love of the trail, as many hostel owners tend to be. I'm surprised she's still in business.
    This is what I heard as well. It was actually a few other personality issues as well.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

That was my experience, but figured I was spoiled from places like Miss Janet and Kinkora. Not even Mt. Momma seemed as capitalistic.

I was there Nov 2005. The neighbor was weird, but not blasting music or shooting at the place. The dogs were certain to welcome you as you walked by.

i bet she and the neighbor are in cahoots...waiting for a young group of college kids on a spring break backpacking trip to unwittingly fall into their clever trap- the neighbor terrorizes them, so they seek shelter with her, but she is a diabolical cannibal, who supplies the neighbor and the 'elite' of erwin with fresh and tasty meat...

Images

My friend was sick and went walking around looking for the place (in 03') but couldn't find it and returned to the trail. Remember hearing some crazy stories about rabid dogs and barb wired fences.

Can't comment on this place, as I haven't been there, but it seems unecessary considering how close to Erwin it is.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Can't comment on this place, as I haven't been there, but it seems unecessary considering how close to Erwin it is.
    my first thought on passing it.

Images

Mine too. I think I passed it 1.5 days from Erwin.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default hostel conditions

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I've heard from at least one person staying there that the neighbor is a huge problem, but the Hostel itslf really isn't that great either. Bluebelle, aside from the neighbor issues, what was your read?
    Hey Sgt. Rock....the house itself is in great disrepair. You must not flush before showering or there will be no water pressure....there is very little at best as it is. We were also asked to not turn on lights unless we were reading due to cost and electrical issues????(not sure what those are??) Connie mentioned she owes her X $60000 before she can do anything to the property....so.....if this is her only income that could take awhile. The bunkhouse itself is just an outbuilding with 4 bunkbeds...plastic covered mattresses...you supply your sleeping bags...she does give you a pillow and pillowcase....no heat or air....one hanging light from ceiling. Minimal accomodations at best.

My concern is not necessarily with the luxury or lack of accomodations but in the lack of concern/care of the hikers. I just do not want others to get caught in a possibly volatile situation....we need to feel safe in these advertised hostels and I certainly did not! Luckily for me a hiker and her boyfriend drove to the hostel and I was able to hitch a ride with him to Johnson City.

Images

This sounds very much like what I heard. Thanks for the report.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Thumbs up

My daughter Grass and I stayed at the Greasy Creek Friendly two nights while section hiking last summer. Connie was very nice, very accommodating (even specially bought me some items I asked for in advance, on her shopping trip before we arrived). The place is rustic, but no more so than many other hostels.

Yes, the neighbor's dogs barked inside their fence as I walked by. Again, not unlike other places along the AT.

We stayed in the house, not the bunkhouse, but she was happy to show us around the bunkhouse. Again, rustic like so many others.

We had no problem with water, flushing, showers, or electricity.

She was quick to cook for us when we asked for dinner or breakfast.

If she charges taxes, then I specially admire her for her ethics and honesty!

To us, Connie seemed a very sweet and sincere lady and we have recommended her place and still do.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Mine too. I think I passed it 1.5 days from Erwin.
    I remember talking to Tabasco about the place. Not a pleasant stay from what he said.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

That is one of the guys who told me about it. Apparently he ran into you on the AT on one of the nights we spent together on the AT. He told me I had just missed you at Cherry Gap.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

[quote=Lilred;616557. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, .[/quote]

Why is that a bad thing?

Images

Haven't been there but I sure wouldn't stay ANYWHERE where angry dogs and mental people were considered "normal" or okay. Does our safety and well being mean nothing? We're hikers so we should just suck it up and risk our lives???? Fine. All you macho men keep staying there until mental man next door shows up with a rifle. You can deflect the bullets with your incredibly macho abs and attitude. The women will show more sense and get the hell away from this dangerous hell hole. I'll help spread the word to stay far away from this whack job and her neighbor. The word will spread down the trail and she can figure out how to make a living some other way. There is a right to have a legal business - there is no obligation to patronize that business.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++