WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    they just went a got some lard-a$$ last week because he was tired...i'm guessing your idea of 'wilderness' is somewhat smaller than mine.
    So I guess you were there and have first hand knowledge of THE FACTS, oh wait you said THEY went and got the person so you must be assuming. And your idea of "wilderness" is exactly my point. What are you going to do when some lard a$$ tired of you wakes up in your immediate area and pulls a knife wanting to kill you, call the cops? Nice. Your point of view is OK with me it is. I wouldn't want someone like you with such a narrow field of common sense carrying one around me either. You would probably leave the bullets home to save weight wouldn't you.

Quote Originally Posted by MudDuck View Post
    So I guess you were there and have first hand knowledge of THE FACTS, oh wait you said THEY went and got the person so you must be assuming. And your idea of "wilderness" is exactly my point. What are you going to do when some lard a$$ tired of you wakes up in your immediate area and pulls a knife wanting to kill you, call the cops? Nice. Your point of view is OK with me it is. I wouldn't want someone like you with such a narrow field of common sense carrying one around me either. You would probably leave the bullets home to save weight wouldn't you.
    quit trying to be witty and try instead to follow the discussion...i've never had any use for the cops, and i'm not worried about anybody with a knife. i'm just not scared of being in the woods without a gun. it's okay if you are, i'm not laughing at you, i'm just trying to point out that you're breaking the same laws you claim to understand...

yeah, hippies will do that...but they're pretty easy to ignore. except when they get together in groups, then those stupid bongos appear and it smells like a rainbow gathering...
    And someone's gun in their pack that you don't even know is there can't be "ignored"? I'd rather someone have a gun in their pack then put up with "hippies" as you called them that's also committing an illegal act that actually effects my immediate standard of living and wilderness experience in an adverse way. You just pick and chose which laws you like which supports your "moral point of view" for a particular argument. Just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by MudDuck View Post
    And someone's gun in their pack that you don't even know is there can't be "ignored"? I'd rather someone have a gun in their pack then put up with "hippies" as you called them that's also committing an illegal act that actually effects my immediate standard of living and wilderness experience in an adverse way. You just pick and chose which laws you like which supports your "moral point of view" for a particular argument. Just stop.
    your arguments and your logic are weak. i'll stop posting on this thread because you asked, and you make me weary of listening to the same old redneck rhetoric.

I've never had any use for the cops, and I'm not worried about anybody with a knife. i'm just trying to point out that you're breaking the same laws you claim to understand...[/quote]

What I understand is that having been a LEO in a large municipality (over 500k) for several years I have been in more situations than I can remember where I needed my weapon when I never thought I would. It has on several occasions literally saved my life. My understanding is experience but I don't carry a gun very much on trail either. Depends on my pack load and duration. Don't recomend it either. Just don't like hearing someone bash someone because they don't subscribe to their personal dislike for guns agenda. If some idiot pulls out a gun in the shelter and is showing it off no he doesn't need to have one and I'd be nervous too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The obsessive gun lovers have once again taken over an original thread which had no mention of guns, just about bears and relocation of bears, etc. The testosterone thrill of handling a gun hypnotizes these post responders to threads concerning outdoor threats and so they spew forth their constant 'what-ifs' couched in 'personal security and defense' but yawn it grows tiresome and off-point. Way off-point.

To be more accurate, it was the anti-gun side of the debate that initiated the de-railment. ie. "just wait for a hiker carrying a concealed weapon to take matters into their own hands...the general consensus among the gun carrying population seems to be that law enforcement(of any kind) can't be relied upon to 'protect the population from the big scary world' and that it's their 'right' to preempt the law and to dispense 'cowboy justice' as they see fit. there won't be too many problem animals left in gsmnp...at least not 4 legged ones."

your arguments and your logic are weak. i'll stop posting on this thread because you asked, and you make me weary of listening to the same old redneck rhetoric.
    Yea,,, LOL,,,,OK. I'll stop pointing out the lack of facts in your assumptions and shooting "whitty" holes in your personal moral atack arguments.
    Gonna go iron my reble flag now and clean my hiking gun for trail days.

just wait for a hiker carrying a concealed weapon to take matters into their own hands...the general consensus among the gun carrying population seems to be that law enforcement(of any kind) can't be relied upon to 'protect the population from the big scary world' and that it's their 'right' to preempt the law and to dispense 'cowboy justice' as they see fit. there won't be too many problem animals left in gsmnp...at least not 4 legged ones.
    Just for a point of order here in post #6 sofaking hijacked this thread with the the first mention of "guns" and insults. NOT the obsessive gun lovers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you're not supposed to carry concealed pot or other drugs but lotsa hikers do
    I bet some would fight back if someone tried to take that.
    Does defending the rights of my fellow Americans make me an obsessive gun owner? Am I spewing "what ifs" because of a supposed "testosterone thrill"? What's your advice? Let the criminal take my stuff, kill my family. Should I just bend over and say kiss me?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

This is awful. From bears to concealed weapons? Let's exercise the right to arm bears, I would say. Less trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    This is awful. From bears to concealed weapons? Let's exercise the right to arm bears, I would say. Less trouble.
    Amen brother!

So in an attempt to get back on topic...

Any possibility of fixing the shelters with cables (like Georgia) or bear boxes (like NJ) or even the metal "trees" like in Shenandoah NP? That may not keep the bears away from the shelters in the short run but along with signs advising hikers to place all of their food and aromatic stuff in the devices, the bears would eventually see there's no payoff.

Images

just wait for a hiker carrying a concealed weapon to take matters into their own hands...the general consensus among the gun carrying population seems to be that law enforcement(of any kind) can't be relied upon to 'protect the population from the big scary world' and that it's their 'right' to preempt the law and to dispense 'cowboy justice' as they see fit. there won't be too many problem animals left in gsmnp...at least not 4 legged ones.
    You hijacked the thread, sofaking.

Think about it before you post the next time.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    You hijacked the thread, sofaking.

Think about it before you post the next time.
    and you'd better meet my demands if you ever want this thread back alive, BWAA HAA HAA!

Images

and you'd better meet my demands if you ever want this thread back alive, BWAA HAA HAA!
    But I don't care about keeping this thread alive.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++