WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Baxter Park cancels May 15th opening

Just got off the phone with Baxter Park HQ in Millinocket. Due to the poor conditions of the roads all reservations for the traditional Opening week-end of May 15th are being canceled and campers holding reservations for those dates will be contacted regarding refunds or swapping ahead for new dates.
    Only one campground in the northern end of the Park will be open for May 15th.
    I've been at Katahdin Stream almost every May 15th for the last 30 years.
    Ain't never heard of this happening to KSC and Abol before.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

A little snow left over Teej?

Images

What happens with clean-up day?

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    A little snow left over Teej?
    Yup. I've seen the tote road to the E closed many times on May 15, and the tote road closed above Daicey Pond closed more often than not. But the whole she-bang? Not in my memory.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    What happens with clean-up day?
    That's the litter pick-up alongside the road to the Park, best to check with HQ on that one.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Yup. I've seen the tote road to the E closed many times on May 15, and the tote road closed above Daicey Pond closed more often than not. But the whole she-bang? Not in my memory.
    global warming for sure

Images

The HQ made it sound like the road got washed out. After seeing Boarstone's pics, I don't doubt it one bit.

Few extra days. Seems like global warming here. Toasty.

Images

Default toasty, huh?

Right now it is 95 in my backyard, and supposed to be 97 by this afternoon! Talk about toasty! But that's Texas, not Maine....

Thanks for the info TJ.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Default Baxter Info for May 15

Bangor Daily published this new of Katahdin trails today. Delays......

http://bangornews.com/news/t/aroosto...371&zoneid=175

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Autumnwind View Post
    Bangor Daily published this new of Katahdin trails today. Delays......

http://bangornews.com/news/t/aroosto...371&zoneid=175
    "The lodging facilities at Chimney Pond, which was still buried under 80 inches of snow as of mid-April, likely will be closed until June 1." Damn! 80 inches in April!

I'm hiking into Russell Pond tomorrow from South Branch Pond (the northern campground that opened last week by its lonesome). If anyone wants trail conditions or what the mountain looks like from afar I can post an update next week.

The Perimeter road (aka Tote Road) needs to harden before it can completely open, with that much snow this year, it's taking longer. The latest newsletter from the Park indicates that there was an inordinate moose problem on the spur to Roaring Brook this early spring. Moose couldn't find safe exits and therefore were trotting ahead of sleds for up to 6 miles. Staff had to start to rearrange their work schedule by when the moose were out and about on the roadway. This is most unusual.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Newest Katahdin news on trails today May 24,2008

http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.as...762&zoneid=500

Images

So from this I get that the trails above treeline are still closed. Is that correct?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    So from this I get that the trails above treeline are still closed. Is that correct?
    The article said the Abol Trail is open.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

it was this part that made me wonder about above tree line.
    "The good news is that all the hiking trails below the tree line are open. People should expect to find muddy conditions. In some cases, they may not be able to get to a trail head."

When Katahdin trails close, they close at the trailhead. Not at 'treeline' as that would be impossible to enforce.
    Teej

Default Hunt opened Sunday!

I just got in from 4 nights @ Russell Pond, hiking in from the north end, through South Branch Pond. As reported Abol trail opened on Friday and Sunday they opened Hunt (AT) for the first time this season! I didn't have a clear shot of the mountain from Russell but can report little snow on the low elevation trails I hiked including out to Wass. Lake. Sunday was a gorgeous day up here, and the bugs are starting.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

++ New Posts ++