WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default question for educated folk

how many ounces of pot should i start the trail with? or should i be thinking about pounds instead?

Images

5 oz. That's the weight of the Evernew Titanium 0.9 liter pot. You shouldn't need more pot than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    5 oz. That's the weight of the Evernew Titanium 0.9 liter pot. You shouldn't need more pot than that.
    Great answer.

Default .9 is all you need

I did it with a 1 quart coleman pot the whole time, and it worked great. It fits a nice size mac and cheese dinner. Nothing else to say

Default Lightweight is best

As with all packing, think lightweight. Whatever you need, there are plenty of resupply points along the trail and often if you need something, another hiker is happy to oblige.

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~at2k/feedme.htm

Cameraman

Images

.9 is all you need << What is that 9/10ths of a lb?? thats kinda heavy for a 1 qt pot lol Streamweaver
    "Theres is no real hope of traveling perfectly light in the mountains.It is good to try,as long as you realize that,like proving a unified field theory,mastering Kanji,or routinely brewing the perfect cup of coffee,the game can never be won." Smoke Blanchard

.8 is what I use but I also take a 16 oz. SGT Rock lemonaid jar for all of my simmmmmmering...

Images

Good advice from all. I used the bigger Evernew (1.3 Liter). It was fine and only another oz more weight than the smaller, but I never filled it up or need all the room even with two liptons. Your fine with the smaller or even one of these big titanium cups. Many used those as pots and they were good to eat out of.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

what is your resupply plan???
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Default Pot question

Mdionne,
    If you are interested in efficency and security make sure you keep your pot covered. Don't forget the lid! If you are really concerned with your joints, try taking Glucosamine, that relieves joint problems and is available and legal in all 14 states that the A.T. passes through.

++ New Posts ++