WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Cold Is Vermont At Night in July/August?

I did about 1/4 of AT in '89-'90 and hoping to do some northern sections this Summer.
    Can anyone tell me how cold Vermont can get at night in July and August?

TY,

P7

colder than a well diggers ass, but not quite as cold as a witch's tit...and nowhere near as cold as a penguins balls.

I hiked the northern half of the Long Trail in the second half of August last year and never felt cold at night in my 45 degree bag. You certainly don't need a winter bag. And most nights, I slept in shelters rather than in an enclosed tent.

Annie Oaklie and I hiked Vermont in mid-August. The weather was great. We actually had a swim in the pond at Peru Peak. While it was cool in the evening, we slept fine in our light bags. I hope you have a great hike.
    Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience. George Washington

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I hiked the northern half of the Long Trail in the second half of August last year and never felt cold at night in my 45 degree bag. You certainly don't need a winter bag. And most nights, I slept in shelters rather than in an enclosed tent.
    Ditto for me except I was using a 50F bag. The lowest temperature I saw was 40F at 4:30 AM at Puffer (elevation 3200') while staying in the open shelter. This photo was taken at that moment. I sat up in my bag, snapped the photo and went back to sleep for a half hour.

Thanks all.
    The impression I get is that you might get the occasional dip into the 40s.
    I think a Fanatic Fringe quilt should do just fine.

TY,

P7

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Ditto for me except I was using a 50F bag. The lowest temperature I saw was 40F at 4:30 AM at Puffer (elevation 3200') while staying in the open shelter. This photo was taken at that moment. I sat up in my bag, snapped the photo and went back to sleep for a half hour.

That's one georgeous sunset. 5 stars!
    Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience. George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by sofaking View Post
    colder than a well diggers ass, but not quite as cold as a witch's tit...and nowhere near as cold as a penguins balls.
    What if the witch is wearing a brass bra? Maybe sitting on an iceberg...and sipping iced tea?

Phillipe, thanks for the well wishes. I never seem to have time or money for a thru hike, so I'm setting a goal to see a region this Summer.

Oops! Sorry about that. Gorgeous Sunrise. .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
    Oops! Sorry about that. Gorgeous Sunrise. .
    Glad you caught that. Had me worried.

Not cold at all, in fact it can be damned hot. A summerweight (45-50 degree) bag will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    What if the witch is wearing a brass bra? Maybe sitting on an iceberg...and sipping iced tea?
    hmmm...that'd be pretty darned cold. might need the entire snugpak sleep system for something like that.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

We hit the low 40's in Vermont in early August of '06. I felt really bad for one guy who came into Vermont with only a sleeping bag liner, no bag! He'd started June 1st in Springer and had probably been having warm nights for his entire hike until he got to Vermont. He said that he didn't sleep a wink at Spruce Peak shelter and considered hiking into Manchester Center at 3am just to stay warm. Suffice to say, he bought a bag in town...

Images

Did a chunk of VT last Sept almost Oct and had a warm spell had to sleep on top of my bag in my hammock. It was hitting 80 during the day figure maybe 50 at night possibly hotter. You never know what you are going to get. You can check avg and record temps on the Weather Channel site among others

Images

Besdies about half dozen trips in VT, after many years a couple of miles W in the ADKS, I would say that you probably have an 85% chance of nights not colder than 50 degrees. There are some off chances that during periods of cloudy rainy weather more than a day or two, that you might have a cold night, as well as a perfectly cloudless night at elevation. I have a 20 year old down 45 degree bag that has worked like a charm. I also consider the extra 10 degrees my tent gives me, has helped me to never be cold.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

It's Vermont, so you may have warm, muggy nights or windy, wet, and 40 degree nights.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
    Can anyone tell me how cold Vermont can get at night in July and August?
    I spent an August night at Goddard Shelter when the temperatures went below 40°F but didn't reach the freezing point. That would be improbable, but not impossible.

I'd rather risk being overprepared than uncomfortable and would carry a 20°F down bag.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

In VT I used my Marmot pounder in early August rated at 40 degree, no problem. But I also carried a silk liner for assurance. When I got to NH, I swtiched to a 25 degree pounder plus.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I hammocked the July 4th weekend in '05 on the section between the Long Trail and the NH border in a Hennessy hammock. I wore only long johns, nylon long pants, long john tops and a down vest and a watch cap, no sleeping bag. I had a 1/2 length ccf pad of 3/8" blue foam to put under my torso and was never cold, but I am a warm sleeper. Even in unusual cold, you'll probably never see the nighttime temps. go below 40 in August.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++