WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Making our own clothing.........

We'd like to try our hand at making some of our hiking clothes - simple pants and shorts. I can do basic sewing and put in elastic,zippers, pockets.

Does any company specialize in patterns for hiking clothes?
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Thanks so much! This link is exactly what I was looking for.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    We'd like to try our hand at making some of our hiking clothes - simple pants and shorts. I can do basic sewing and put in elastic,zippers, pockets.

Does any company specialize in patterns for hiking clothes?
    my sister sewed simplicity patterns for a fabric store for years (1973-1986). today she alters them for hiking, skiing, biking for her kids (husband included) (and clothes for her daughters so they can help get the salmon up the sponing steps in california ).
    get a basic pattern and alter it to your needs. my mom taught us to sew and cook as kids. i am so glad she did i laughed when i saw the your thread. she mailed me patterns yesterday. i want loss fitting long pants that wick well and shorts almost like "collots" (a kilt that works well in the wind)
    good luck
    post what you make, OK

Not entirely in jest, because it works for making patterns from scratch and evaluating the design and construction.

1. Buy a newspaper.
    2. Buy a Sharpie pen.
    3. On a piece of newspaper, draw up what you think might work.
    4. Cut out the pattern from the newspaper. Don't forget seam allowance!
    5. Staple together instead of sewing.
    6. See if it fits.
    7. Making any necessary adjustments, repeat items 3 to 6 until you're satisfied.
    8. Carefully transfer the patters to the fabric of choice. Don't forget seam allowance!

Green Pepper (http://thegreenpepper.com/) has outdoor clothing and gear patterns.

If you're near a Joann Fabrics Etc., check your Sunday ad for a 40% or 50% off one item coupon. The store near me carries some Green Pepper patterns, but not all of them. I'd been wanting a pattern for zip-off cargo pants, and used a 50% off coupon for it ($8 down to $4). Then I begged another 50% off coupon from a friend and bought the pattern for fingergless gloves ($7 down to $3.50).

Haven't made either yet, I'm working three 6-day weeks in a row, but the directions are very clear and detailed.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Mrs. Baggins - some of the mainstream pattern makers - Butterick, McCall & Simplicity - have patterns that are suitable for making outdoor clothing. I'm making myself a 'baby-doll dress' in uncoated ripstop for summer day-hiking - it has mesh panels for ventilation.

Images

Default Figgy & Stitch

You might want to contact these two 2007 thruhikers. Stitch made everything they wore or carried with the exception of footwear.

Incidentally, they are the young couple whose pictures are on the front and back of the 2008 Companion.

http://bltadventure.blogspot.com/
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

i can't wait for somebody to tell me how much fabric they need me to send them so that they can make me a size large cagoule with an added feature of a 3/4 zip so that they can practice and get the hang of it official red ryder carbine action bb gun for christmas?

Journal Entries
    Images

My mom used to make clothing to save money... But this stuff has become so cheap I am wondering why the effort? Wouldn't you rather be out and about or was this for a rainy day?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

++ New Posts ++