WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DC, Reagan to Harpers Ferry

Whats the best way to get to Harpers ferry from reagan airport without having your civil rights totally trampled upon. Is there a shuttle??????

Images

There's good train service. All you need is to get to the Union Station in DC from the airport.
    MARC commuter trains operate Monday through Friday between Union Station in Washington, D.C., and Martinsburg, W.Va. on the MARC Brunswick Line. One-way fare from Union Station to Harpers Ferry is $9.00. For additional information about MARC train schedules and ticket reservations, call 1-800-325-RAIL or visit the MARC Website »
    MARC Brunswick Line Schedule

• Departs Union Station 4:55 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 6:12 p.m.
    • Departs Union Station 5:35 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 7:05 p.m.
    • Departs Union Station 7:15 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 8:42 p.m.
    • Departs Harpers Ferry 5:56 a.m. – Arrives Union Station 7:28 a.m.
    • Departs Harpers Ferry 7:01 a.m. – Arrives Union Station 8:30 a.m.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

from airport, dc metro to union station.. from there take the marc train to harpers

metro map link - http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
    marc schedule link - http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/...wick_sched.cfm

You can also use Amtak.
    Leaves Washington: 4:06 PM
    Arr at Hapers Ferry: 6:18 PM

Leaves Hapers Ferry: 11:45 AM
    Arr at Washiongton: 1:30 PM

It ios called the Capital Limited.

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZER View Post
    Whats the best way to get to Harpers ferry from reagan airport without having your civil rights totally trampled upon. Is there a shuttle??????
    If you really worry about your civil rights being trampled on, trample on the C&O canal towpath to Harpers Ferry. A nice 61 mile walk from Georgetown after a 5 dollar cab ride from Ray-Gun airport. First campground is at Swain's Lock milepost 12.6. No better way to go hiking than to go hiking.

Thanks for the input. I,m feeling better, hate going in blind.Nick, I have reservations at the hostel in hp, but thanks for the comment. I haD NO IDEA there was an actual trail along the tow path. (someday)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    If you really worry about your civil rights being trampled on, trample on the C&O canal towpath to Harpers Ferry. A nice 61 mile walk from Georgetown after a 5 dollar cab ride from Ray-Gun airport. First campground is at Swain's Lock milepost 12.6. No better way to go hiking than to go hiking.
    Someday I'm gonna hike the whole C&O, maybe when I get too old to hike the AT...

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BREEZER View Post
    I haD NO IDEA there was an actual trail along the tow path.

My very first ever solo backpacking trip when I was 16 was down the AT from I-70 to the C&O Canal..Up to Harpers Ferry and then down the canal to DC..Not much I know, but for a 16 year old kid on his own for the first time it was quite an adventure
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Someday I'm gonna hike the whole C&O, maybe when I get too old to hike the AT...
    How 'bout cycling it? If you want to bike lite, you can cycle from Cumberland to Hancock first day, to Harpers Ferry the second day, and DC the 3rd. There are some inexpensive motels in Hancock and a hostel near the Canal by Harpers Ferry.

I've done the western 40 miles or so on foot. I will finish by bike someday, it goes by too slowly hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    I've done the western 40 miles or so on foot. I will finish by bike someday, it goes by too slowly hiking.
    Saturday while cycling the Great Allegheny Passage, I met a backpacker who had hiked the C&O Canal in 9 days on a previous trip. He apparently prefers flat-as-a-board hiking but unlike the Canal, the Great Allegheny Passage's water sources aren't as frequent so he was lugging a 60 lb pack with 5 liters of water.

Cycling trails like these is more fun.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post

I'll second that. I love the C&O, but easy as it is, after a couple days it gets monotonous on foot. A bike trip would be more enjoyable.

Default place to stay in DC - Harrington Hotel

http://www.hotel-harrington.com/
    A great place to stay in DC. Near the mall and Old Post Office (good food, cheap downstairs). Subways 1 or 2 blocks. 17th and R good place to look for eateries. Italina Kitchen - again lots of food / ressonable.

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    http://www.hotel-harrington.com/
    A great place to stay in DC. Near the mall and Old Post Office (good food, cheap downstairs). Subways 1 or 2 blocks. 17th and R good place to look for eateries. Italina Kitchen - again lots of food / ressonable.
    It's also close to the Convention Center and the Verizon Center (the latter is where the Wizards and Caps play).

Among restaurants within reasonable walking distance is the Cafe Mozart on H St. between 13th and 14th. Good German food plus German beer and wine as well as pastries. It features both a deli and a sit-down restaurant.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doggiebag View Post
    There's good train service. All you need is to get to the Union Station in DC from the airport.
    MARC commuter trains operate Monday through Friday between Union Station in Washington, D.C., and Martinsburg, W.Va. on the MARC Brunswick Line. One-way fare from Union Station to Harpers Ferry is $9.00. For additional information about MARC train schedules and ticket reservations, call 1-800-325-RAIL or visit the MARC Website »
    MARC Brunswick Line Schedule
    • Departs Union Station 4:55 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 6:12 p.m.
    • Departs Union Station 5:35 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 7:05 p.m.
    • Departs Union Station 7:15 p.m. – Arrives Harpers Ferry 8:42 p.m.
    • Departs Harpers Ferry 5:56 a.m. – Arrives Union Station 7:28 a.m.
    • Departs Harpers Ferry 7:01 a.m. – Arrives Union Station 8:30 a.m.
    you can take the metro rail transit right from reagan airport to union station for a couple of bucks; and then pick up the marc train from there, as mentioned above.

http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

++ New Posts ++